attaching bag to rope

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazykripple

Reaction score
I’m getting ready to do my first AG BIAB. I’ve done some PM batches in the past but now I’ve got a big kettle i can go full scale. I’ve set up a pulley and made a bag, but i can’t work out how to attach the bag to the rope. There aren't any loops sewn on my bag so a hook won’t work. Do i just tie the rope round the bag? Or would sewing loops onto the bag be better? Thanks in advance

Tie the rope around the bag. I did one batch BIAB and I had hold the bag up by myself while it drained. It sucked so I just bought some coolers and went that route. IMO, BIAB sucks because of that problem other than that BIAB is cool.

I just hold the bag up. Usually by the time the mash is over I'm drunk enough that I don't care, but then I hurry stuff along by squeezing the bag.

The slipped constrictor above, a noose, or a Sheet Bend would all work. Personally I'd go with a sheet bend using the bag as the 'simple'/U/red end. You could also tie the bag in a loose overhand knot and trace through it the opposite direction with your haul line, as in the Water knot.

You can gather the top of the bag and wrap a piece of light cord or a strap around the cinched and gathered bag...very simple and is very strong.

If your bag has a drawstring, that can be used as well. I posted on this subject a while ago...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/biab-hoisting-w-ratchet-pulley-416419/

Here is another thread that shows a strap wrapped and tied around the top of a bag.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/biab-polyester-voile-strength-test-384445/

FWIW, I feel it is more secure to cinch the bag with a rope or strap, then having handles stitched to the bag.

Just use a pizza pan and forget the whole pulley thing. I just lift it up, and slide a pizza pan between the bag and kettle. You can then use your pot lid to squeeze all the delicious wort out. Seems way easier than a pulley, rope, etc.

reverendj1 said:
Just use a pizza pan and forget the whole pulley thing. I just lift it up, and slide a pizza pan between the bag and kettle. You can then use your pot lid to squeeze all the delicious wort out. Seems way easier than a pulley, rope, etc.

This ^^^^^^ I use a pizza pan as well. It's easy and cheap and gets the job done!

Thanks, but I think I'll keep my pulley. With large batches over 35 lb grain bills a pulley is key IMO. Perhaps for 10 lbs of grain, a pizza screen works well.

Right, I'm talking about a 5gal system. With 10+ then you have to start thinking of other options.

thanks for the advice. i think i'll go with the noose option and see how that goes.

Yes agreed, any tight knot on a gathered bag seems to work well, I like to make a few wraps around the bag prior to knotting. I like the 1MadScientists 4-part pulley hoist as it likely makes easy work reducing the lifting load, but a ratchet or locking mechanism is handy and reduces stress, as at any time you can let go of the rope and the bag remains hanging.

I've used the "lift and slide something under the bag" method before... but since I'm moving to 10 gallon batches, I will definitely be adding a pulley system of some sort... and, of course, utilizing the awesomely modified steamer basket that came with my new kettle..

IMG_20130403_145333.jpg

Question for all you large-batch BIABers: What's the draw of still using BIAB over standard MLT practices when you're making +10 gallons( or to a lesser extent +5)?

It seems to me that any equipment savings are negated when you're buying steamer baskets and/or sizable block and tackle or gantry systems to hoist the grains. At these large grist weights aren't you losing a noticable amount of sugars, even with squeezing the bag?

Question for all you large-batch BIABers: What's the draw of still using BIAB over standard MLT practices when you're making +10 gallons( or to a lesser extent +5)?

It seems to me that any equipment savings are negated when you're buying steamer baskets and/or sizable block and tackle or gantry systems to hoist the grains. At these large grist weights aren't you losing a noticable amount of sugars, even with squeezing the bag?

You don't have to buy any pulley/strainers/baskets for a 5 gallon brew.
I am strong enough to lift the bag.

For 10 gallons you can buy a $12 pulley from Lowes and attach it to a ladder. I use it rarely but I have that option.

You don't need a steamer basket or expensive system to lift the bag.
Some people choose to use a such a system because they want to.
Some people have an $8,000 SABCO system because they want to.
But you don't have to have it to do BIAB.

Using a dunk sparge you can get high efficiency with high gravity BIAB.

My basket came with the pot. Yes, they sold similar pots that didn't come with a basket, but it was about the same price.

It took me all of 45 minutes to punch the holes... but since I did it at work, I was getting paid, and it kept me occupied. :)

I may or may not stay with BIAB... I do have a big 10-gallon cooler that I could use for a mash tun. I also have two beer kegs that I could easily convert into keggles.

I'm starting out with BIAB on my new bigger electric setup, because that's what I'm used to. If I get bored or want to experiment, I have pretty much everything I need to make a second electric kettle.

Regardless... the bag is the key to all of this... instead of using a false bottom or a stainless braid, we use a bag. Because of the bag, we only need one pot.

It's not about "saving money". Nothing in this hobby is about "saving money"... this is just another of a million ways to make good beer.

I guess part of me didn't realize you could get a 450lb rated pulley for $6. I just saw BIAB as useful to get people into AG brewing and great for the small batches I typically do(<6gallons). I was just curious as to why people kept using the technique after progressing on to large batch sizes(+10G). Wilserbrewer in particular does #35 batches(25G?) at that stage it seems like less brewday hassle to use the traditional MLT setup.
Obviously he and others think differently, I just wanted to hear why they stuck with it.

PS sorry OP for dragging the thread so far off-topic

I guess part of me didn't realize you could get a 450lb rated pulley for $6. I just saw BIAB as useful to get people into AG brewing and great for the small batches I typically do(<6gallons). I was just curious as to why people kept using the technique after progressing on to large batch sizes(+10G). Wilserbrewer in particular does #35 batches(25G?) at that stage it seems like less brewday hassle to use the traditional MLT setup.
Obviously he and others think differently, I just wanted to hear why they stuck with it.

PS sorry OP for dragging the thread so far off-topic

I invite you to check out http://www.biabrewer.info/...

I just wanted to hear why they stuck with it.

BIAB is not something I've "stuck with". Prior to BIAB, I brewed for several years using cooler mash tuns of various sizes, and still use a mash tun at times. Other times I BIAB, both methods have pros and cons, neither is better, I like and do both!

Several times I have needed to brew a 1/2 keg for events, or due to a nonexistent pipeline...since I don't have a mash tun large enough, or the ability to lift 18 gallons of wort...I figured I would try a 15 gal. BIAB w/ my 20 gallon kettle and it worked pretty well!

That's the story :)
:mug:

I just use 2 bags, so I don't need pulleys etc..:mug:

I use the turkey fryer lifter thingee that came with my burner and pot...looks like a coat hanger. I make a simple loop in the bag and slip the hooked part through the loop...then hang the bag under an A frame ladder suspended over a catch pot so I can dump water over / through the grains and do both a pseudo sparge and squeeze. It works great.

I do 5 gal BIAB batches, and after mash I just lift my most excellent wilserbrewer bag, let it drain for a few minutes before moving to another kettle with an inverted colander on the bottom.

I let the bag sit on the colandar while pushing down with a kettle lid. Then I dump the wort-y goodness into the brew kettle.

I repeat this a few times as I wait for my burner to get up to boil.

Latest posts

Back