ASSISTANCE significant fermentation occurs in secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjoseph6

Reaction score
Hi friends,

I brewed a strong scotch ale, OG 1.072. After three weeks in the primary, I racked it to carboy and took a hydrometer reading.

Its FG is 1.030, and it tasted awful sweet. I was looking for an FG of 1.018.

Now thats it in the secondary, will its gravity drop significantly?

Thanks

Hi friends,

I brewed a strong scotch ale, OG 1.072. After three weeks in the primary, I racked it to carboy and took a hydrometer reading.

Its FG is 1.030, and it tasted awful sweet. I was looking for an FG of 1.018.

Now thats it in the secondary, will its gravity drop significantly?

Thanks

All-Grain or Extract... I ask because then I can ask... what was your Mash Schedule.

I would double check your recipe,,, bet you have already.

BUT I would think it is done...

You could try moving it to a warmer place (near the top end of your yeasts recommended TEMP) and see if it restarts...

I have cast some dry yeast on top of one like this that would take higher temps than the original yeast to "salvage" a beer that was WAY to sweet with mixed results.

Worst case if it is to sweet blend it with a Dryer Beer...

Blending is how I dispose of beers that are “OFF”…. And since I keg this is easy.

You should be fine. I would have avoided moving to a secondary before you hit FG, as you are essentially moving the beer away from yeast that are supposed to get it to FG. That said, the yeast in suspension will probably still finish it for you.

You could add amylase but it'll probably finish a lot lower than 1.018 if you do that. Alternatively I could be mistaken but don't some of the other yeasts break down and continue fermentation beyond where normal SC stops? Perhaps a Brett (or combo) addition perhaps if you like sour?

This was a partial mash at 150F.

I went ahead and opened up a heater in my basement to get the temperature rolling. Edinburgh yeast, which I used, works best at 65-70F; my basement was at a consistent temp of 64F.

With everyone's consideration in mind, it seems like fermentation is either almost done or will finish slightly in the future, as I plan to condition it for several months. I wanted to cold condition at 55F, but will wait several weeks at warmer temp (70 F)

Back