Assembeling my Glycol Draft system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstandis

Reaction score
Sorry if I am creating too many posts about this but I dont see why this is so hard for me. I started off thinking I was going to do an air cooled system but there were too many funky turns and I was not sure I could get the air circulation I need.

So I bought the following glycol tower and beer line

Tower:
Beer Tower - 3" Column - Polished Stainless Steel - Glycol Cooled - 2 Faucet

Line: 3/8 id
Beer Line Hose - Trunk Line

I am getting the impression that this glycol soultion is meant for much longer runs than I am putting together. I bought 15 feet of line. My intent is to put the fridge in the basement and run the line up to my bar area. that would be a vertical of about 6-8 feet.

3/8 seems like pretty big tube do I need to reduce this some how? The tower says it has 1/4" O.D. Stainless Steel tubes with tapered barb 5/16"-3/8" which leads me to belive it reduces at the tap? Worse case scenario I can pull out the product lines and replace them with smaller ones if need be.

How cold should i keep the glycol. I was going to convert an old fridge to keep the kegs in the fridge and the glycol bath in the freezer.

As far as the serving lines, 3/16 is ideal, and if your run is about 12' (your 8' run, plus 1' for tower, and some to play with) you should be good. You will need to soak the ends of the tubing in hot water some before putting it on the 1/4 barb. This has always provided a great seal for me, so much I don't bother with clamps.

+1 on the glycol in the freezer; You will need a container rated to hold it, as well as proper connections for your pump etc. Don't have much experience, but imagine industrial restaurant/bar supply store would have what you're looking for. good luck!

Back