Asheville NC Beer Scene?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,

SWMBO wasn't too thrilled about potentially going to wait in a crowded bar for sour beers, so as we drove into downtown Asheville debating on what to do on our last night, she finally says that we need to go to Funkatorium to see if its not too crazy busy.

We get a prime parking spot on the street just down a hundred yards or so from the door. No lines, we walk right in and yes it was busy, but not overly so, just before 5PM. We take a seat, and folks at the picnic style tables were friendly. Our waiter was the same as a few nights before at the main wicked weed bar. I spied the Dickinson's and the Guthy's were there, though I didn't want to bother trying to say hello on such an important evening for them. Huge cajones it's gotta take to open a bar dedicated to practically sour only beer!

Had three beers plus sampled some of the funky beer my wife courageously tried (not being a huge beer fan, and certainly not a sour beer fan). All were good. Took some pics, bought a shirt and some bottles to go!!

Needless to say after this, thanked my wife, and we went off for dinner, skipping burial and green man which were on our to do list. I think Funkatorium makes up for missed both those. I think burial would've been nice if their hours and days of operation were better. I hear they are looking for upgrading to a 20 BBL setup.

At any rate, this concludes my asheville beer experience. Here are some pics of the place, the menu, and the beer. As I was posting this, I realized I totally forgot to take pics of the barrel room! DOH! I think when our server brought my box of beer to go, I got all giddy and just wanted to take my treasure back to the car! By the way, in the photos, the hot chick is my wife!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412988516.264370.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412988578.852930.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412988620.574309.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412988776.417636.jpg

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Was in Asheville 2 weeks ago.. Love Wicked weed Was there when they released the 11.7% barrel aged stout that was surprisingly smooth! The food was better than expected. I went to the Burial after and it was cool. They were having a festival there and 28 other breweries had beer on tap in rotation. I had several good beers and 1 great beer.... Mexicali Stout by Birdsong in Charlotte. Green Man was OK I think the crowd was hurt by all the special events going on at a few other places. I always stop by winehause (beside the thirsty monk) before I leave for some local brews to take home and got Hi-Wire's Strongman.... a Coffee Milk Stout. Absolutely delicious! I just ordered a case from a local bottle shop because 6 wasn't enough. Going back 1/24 to see Corey Smith at the Orange Peel.....will stay the weekend this time!

Back