Aroma Hops For American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThirdGen

Reaction score
For my 2nd batch I got an American Wheat extract kit from NB. The hops used are Willamette (60min) and Cascade (15min). Could someone explain briefly what the function of each of these are, whether it's bitterness, or aroma? I was thinking of adding another kind of hop to the mixture to make it more floral.

I also read that adding 1-3lbs of honey can really kick up the abv to around 7%. If I do add honey, does it matter what kind, and when do you add it? At the end of the boil before putting into the primary? Thanks!

Early addition hops are for bitterness, as the volatile flavor and aroma compounds are largely boiled off. Vice versa with late addition hops, the bittering alpha acids aren't fully extracted and the volatile flavor/aroma compounds are preserved.

If you're adding honey, I'd suggest adding it at the very end of your boil when you turn off the heat. This is called either "knock out" or "flame out." This will pasteurize the honey and make it go into solution more quickly than adding it in cold. It also won't boil off delicate flavors.

Thanks, so the Cascade hops added 15 minutes before the end of the boil should add enough aroma, or can I add some at the end of the boil when I add all my honey for even more aroma?

For added hop aroma you could do something called "dry hopping", where you add hops to your secondary fermentor. Usually I will just add the hops to my primary fermentor after fermentation is mostly complete (around 10 days after pitching the yeast). Dry hopping extracts much of the aroma from the hops but does not increase your IBUs (i.e. bitterness). I have created some really yummy beers using this method of hopping. :) An ounce or 2 of Cascades for 10-14 days should fix you right up. Amarillo hops are good too depending on the style of beer you are making. Good luck brewing.

Quick notes about your honey.

1. Use a honey that you like the flavor of.

2. Flame out option is fine but you will end up with a VERY subtle honey flavor as the CO2 from fermentation will "scrub" the flavor.

3. if you want a stronger Honey note in the final product then pastuerize 1-2 lbs. of honey yourself (I use a mason jar in the oven at 145F for 30-45 minutes), then take it immediately to your secondary fermenter and rack on top of it. This will give your final product the strongest honey flavor.

Cheers and GL

Brew the kit as designed before deciding what changes it needs. Adding fermentables will likely put the beer out of balance and will definitely lengthen the time necessary to ferment and mature, something you almost definitely don't want for your second batch.

JMO.

I would follow 944plays advice and just brew the kit as designed. This is just your second kit. Brew several kits and get your basics down pat BEFORE you start experimenting.

Yep, I know, not what you want to hear, but one batch doesn't make anyone (including me) a brewmaster.

Briefly, hops at 60 minutes are for bittering, and hops at 15 minutes or less are for aroma/flavor.
Pez.

I would consider dry-hopping with .5 to 1oz of Hallertau hops for aroma or if you really just want to do it in the boil do an oz for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Although it is probably the smart thing to just brew the kit the way it is...I'm way too excited to try and add my own "twists" to a brew, so I'll end up adding the honey and probably dry hopping with something.

I think I will add the honey at flame-out so that it's there during fermentation to allow the abv to be higher. I could add it to the secondary for a stronger flavor but I'd rather have a subtle honey flavor with higher abv.

I think I will add the honey at flame-out so that it's there during fermentation to allow the abv to be higher.

Unless you pasteurize or sterile-filter your beer, adding fermentables will increase the alcohol no matter when you add them. Regardless, you will need to increase the fermentation and aging time accordingly. You will also need to adjust the pitching rate if you add sugars before fermentation.

If you want a higher alcohol beer, I would suggest you add some vodka or Everclear to the glass at serving time.

If you want a higher alcohol beer, I would suggest you add some vodka or Everclear to the glass at serving time.

Please do not do this.

I can say with great confidence that your yeast pitching rate will not be an issue when you are considering a mere 1-3 lbs of honey. The fermentation will take a bit longer. Just take your gravity measurements and make sure that fermentation is done before you move on.

rkw

Once you get up around 8% ABV you'd be better switching to a 'turbo' yeast strain that can survive swimming in that much alcohol. Two things that can kill or severly degrade the yeast's ability to function are the wrong temperature range and too high an alcohol content.

The Screwy Brewer

Anyone have any experiences or recommendations for an Aroma hop besides Cascade that would work well in an American Wheat?

Back