Are your hops ready to pick? Take a closer look.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nagmay

Reaction score
Pull out your $10 DIY microscope and check out the lupulin glands. More info about the photos and how I took them...

Unripe glands start as cup shape:

unripe.jpg

When ripe, the glands will be plump:

ripe.jpg

Hops can turn brown for any number of reasons – so, this is not a good indication of ripeness. Here is a cone from a plant that was under watered:

brown.jpg

I believe that the lens on my microscope is only 35x. With the digital zoom on the iPhone, those are probably around 80 to 100x.

Please post some pics when you get your scope fired up.

Cheers!

I was discussing this subject with my housemate and she mentioned that she had a USB microscope squirreled away somewhere. She was able to find it and I was able to get it working on my linux OS laptop without too much effort. The following micrographs are of my first year Cascade hops which are near maturity. It looks like I can wait a little while longer to harvest them though.

guvcview_image-3.jpg

guvcview_image-4.jpg

res291que,
How do these look?
Great photos. It's hard to tell with the first picture... until you compare it to the 3rd one. That is exactly how they should look.

alane1,
Have you noticed any correlation to conventional wisdom about ripeness?
Using a microscope is just another tool. It shows that dry hops are not necessarily ripe hops (and visa versa). Since "feels papery" is subjective and most home-growers don't have the means to target a percentage of dry matter, this is a good way to make sure that you are not picking the hops too soon.

Often, the cones near the top of the plant will ripen first – sometimes by a matter of weeks. I usually wait until the majority of cones have fully engorged lupulin glands. The tips of the older cones may start to turn brown, but this is okay as long as you don’t wait too long.

For anyone with access to 3d printers, check this out: http://www.pnnl.gov/news/release.aspx?id=1071. Less than a buck to "print" a microscope attachment for your phone. If you look up local hackerspaces or maker groups in your area you're likely to find people who have one you might be able to borrow. Just offer to bring some home made beer for them to try ;-)

Back