Are you offended when others pour your beer out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to say, if I was kegging and had people over drinking there's no way I'd be letting them pull their own pints. Thus far, except a bottle I gave to a neighbor, I don't even let people pour their own bottles. Anyway, it seems to me that pulling pints for guests would be half the fun anyway! (I do feel as though I may keep around some BMC just for the stupid drunken fratboys of the world.... that's all that sucka deserves to drink!)

I make wine for a commercial winery, and when I first started, I would be horrified and offended when tasters would dump my wine.

Over the years, though, I started to realize that, in the context of a tasting, dumping is not a rude gesture. There are several reasons people dump, and it is not always because they dislike the drink. They might have several more to taste, and do not want to get intoxicated, etc.

Now, if they were pouring their own drink, I would be upset. Why take what you won't finish??

I don't expect everyone who tries my beer to like it. I don't even like everything I make but I would hope they would take a small sample first in order to try it first. Then again most of my friends will drink just about anything once they've had a few.

Once at the Falling Rock tap house in Denver I was on a IPA rampage and about 3 or 4 beers into the night I got a beer that was just too sweet for my tastes. I prefer dryer IPAs and this was proving to be a tough drink. The server noticed I was taking a while and asked if she could get me something else. I told her there way no way I'd let her throw away a good beer just because I didn't like it at the moment. She agreed with the thought and brought me another beer on the house. I finished both then ordered another Pliny :)

Moral of the story is that you don't dump good beer ever. Give it away, pound it, even put it in the fridge and drink it flat the next day. It is quite precious. Now BMC is another story...

Im offended when anyone pours beer out! We call the beer police around here. Besides, there are sober kids in 3rd world countries!

The ONLY people who are even allowed to touch my faucet are those who I know will finish the glass like it or not. And I keep sample glasses on the kegorator for those who have not tried the beer yet. Of which, I fill for the taster.

I had a bunch of guys concrete my drive a couple of weeks ago. They had come to do next door, and I had them do mine at the same time. Anyways, they caught me on a brew day. They were very interested until they found out it was that dreaded "Dark" beer. I gave the boss guy a small taste of Greenwood Rover's Shiver Me Bitters. He didn't say he hated it, and called over Leroy, The beer expert. Leroy took a sip and declared that he was not keen on dark beer as it is always too high in alcohol to drink a lot of them.......Um, yeah, OK, Leroy! ;)

Long story short, I had to go to work and leave them to do my drive. Before I left, I bought a case of BMC and dumped it into a cooler full of ice, and with the gaffer's permission left it for them. I did the same thing on the second day, and also left two sixers of Rover's beer for anyone that wanted to take one or two home. At the end of the two days, they had gotten through 34 BMC's (They left two for Mr. Manners) and they took ZERO bottles of ESB. I was not in the least upset about this, i was happy that they were honest in their tastes, and that they didn't take something that they would have most likely pitched down the drain. I can live easily with the fact that they don't like "dark" beer....even though this was a good brew, honestly. But if they had taken it just because it was free beer? Well, that would have pissed me off.

And just for the record, they did an equal job on the drive of the guy that gave them free beer compared to the religious tee-total neighbour, even though the beer-giving guy got them at a knock down price as he just happened to be there. :)

I usually don't take it personally if someone does not like one of my beers. It is pretty easy to spot when someone is chugging along and then just starts nursing their beer. This happened at a happy hour I hosted a couple weeks back and I let the girl off the hook by saying "let me freshen that up for you" then when I went inside I got her a new glass and pulled her one I knew she liked and I just drank hers.

On the other hand I have another neighbor who I just don't invite over anymore. I know he doesn't like the beers because they are homebrewed and he has some warped view of what homebrew is. He says he "only likes lagers" which to him means Corona Light. I didn't even know there was a Corona Light.

Of course there has been a little justified hostility ever since they had a New Year's party and at one point about half the people followed me back to my house to "see my kegerator" and before we realized it we had been at my house for a couple hours. It was like that episode of Friends where they had two parties and one sucked. I was the non-suck party. :) There were like 12 of us at my house and when we finally ventured back across the street there were a total of 5 people there and they were sitting on the couch watching Dick Clark. Oops.

I've had people tell me that they don't like my beer, and I'm fine with that. At the same time, I know (on a VERY rare occasion) I'll find a beer that I don't like. Maybe it's my upbringing, maybe because Spartans don't dump beer, but I have never dumped a beer just because I didn't enjoy it, and I guess a part of me expects that same respect from people when they are drinking mine. I recently went to a festival, and Rogue had they're new Chipotle Ale on tap. Feel free to try it if you want, but I thought it was horrible. Chipotle just doesn't belong in beer. My friend and I had to slam the sampler, but we couldn't bring ourselves to dump it.

I'd have to say, if I was kegging and had people over drinking there's no way I'd be letting them pull their own pints. Thus far, except a bottle I gave to a neighbor, I don't even let people pour their own bottles. Anyway, it seems to me that pulling pints for guests would be half the fun anyway! (I do feel as though I may keep around some BMC just for the stupid drunken fratboys of the world.... that's all that sucka deserves to drink!)

This is an excellent point. Not because I don't trust my friends with my beer, but if you're hosting people, it just seems right to be bartender, especially if it is your brew.

All you guys are giving some very insightful responses (especially about c**k punching!). Fortunately, I have very respectful friends, and I am very careful about serving up my beer when there are people in the house that I don't know too well.

Love the idea about a sign, plus pulling the pints for people. I will be off to get small taster glasses shortly.

I've also had several other situations where someone didn't like the beer, and someone else said "Oh! I'll take it!" :D

My exact thoughts....if someone there doesn't like it you best believe others around, if not me, would gladly finish it off. By now almost all of my friends like homebrew/craft beer now if they didn't already...most open minded people do realize how AWESOME it tastes!

Last summer my sister babysat while wife and I went downtown for a ballgame. I came home to find about 16 ounces of my Witbier sitting on the counter. I asked my sister if she was going to drink it. She said, No, its too dark. So I thanked her for not throwing it out and I proceeded to drink warm Witbier.

Typical, BMC crap.... a witbier is too dark. Unbelievable.

a witbier is too dark. Unbelievable.

That's effing hilarious...

I often like to pour myself a beer before I lay down in front of the TV at the end of a long day. Especially if I'm a few pints in, I often fall asleep with a half-drank beer next to me. Not to label myself as someone who promotes drinking in the AM, but when I wake up in the morning, I usually just slam the remainder before jumping in the shower. Again, I just can't bring myself to dump it...

Not one bit. I would rather get honest feedback than have someone suck down something they truly do not enjoy.

I dump beer all the time.

I sure as hell don't expect someone to finish a beer they don't want to out of some silly respect for the beer itself.

In my lifetime, I have probably dumped greater than 60gal of beer down the drain, much of it pretty darn drinkable. I just didn't want it, and had no easy outlet for it without giving up my kegs for a while. I don't feel a darn bit bad about it either. I can make more, and I am not so strapped for cash that the experience of brewing it alone wasn't enough to make the cost of brewing it worth it.

I recant everything I said in this thread, for the following reason:
I just tried the DFH Festina Peche (sour peach)... 2 sips, rest down the drain.
*bows head in shame*

(though technically DFH calls it a 'malt beverage', and not a beer, and it's not a 'homebrew'...)

I sure as hell don't expect someone to finish a beer they don't want to out of some silly respect for the beer itself.

In my lifetime, I have probably dumped greater than 60gal of beer down the drain, much of it pretty darn drinkable. I just didn't want it, and had no easy outlet for it without giving up my kegs for a while. I don't feel a darn bit bad about it either. I can make more, and I am not so strapped for cash that the experience of brewing it alone wasn't enough to make the cost of brewing it worth it.

60gal worth of party foul!

I don't throw out any beer, even BMC, if it's still drinkable. I haven't had an infection yet (knock on wood), but if I got one, I'd give it a shot.

I didn't mean to be argumentative at all! I'm actually thankful that you told me it was a berliner weiss (so I *can* stay away!), I'm midway through reading a website about them now.

I just meant in terms of pouring homebrew down the drain, pouring a commercial beer (like DFH) down the drain wasn't quite as bad, and it was curious that they call it a 'malt beverage' on the bottle.

DFH Festina Peche - SWMBO and I sampled it while eating lunch this last summer at Stone Brewery. We didn't care for it but we finished it. Nuff said!

DFH Festina Peche - SWMBO and I sampled it while eating lunch this last summer at Stone Brewery. We didn't care for it but we finished it. Nuff said!

Wow. Stomaches of stone. I literally couldn't swallow the third sip.

I won't finish a beer I find distasteful, and I can't really ask a guest to do so. One of the three dogs that made my moniker is a wirehair, and he is not as discriminating. I can always count on him to clean up, even if the beer was not to my or someone else's liking. If he ever gets hung over, I can't tell it. He's a curmudgeon at all hours!

After hanging out here learning about brewing, and drinking decent beer, I found myself at a wedding where the best they had was Bud Select. I can't figure out what was special about it. I didn't have the dog along, and ended up taking it back and getting a whiskey sour.

Now, the dog had to just watch me drink the Rogue Dead Guy tonight.

FINE! WHATEVER!
;)
HA HA LOL

well i think there are two compleatly diffrent things here.
wait three i think....

1. someone is offor a sample of home brew and does not like it and does not drink it.
2. someones request a smaple of home brew and does not like it and does not drink it.
3 someone get a full glass of home brew and does not like it and does not drink it.
4.some get home brew, likes the brew and then later gets more but waste 1/2 or greater a glass by leaving it , pouring it out to get diff beer, ect.
5. some people get home brew, like the home brew, later when you leave brew shed and go in house to check prego wife, quick MacGyver like One take your huge carboy funnel and some large hose and make beer bong, you come back out side 45min later and 2 kegs of nut brown are dusted and every one is drunk as piss.

1. is ok with me
2.is ok with me
3.chaps my hide , even more so if they dont try to give it away and just waste it.
4.this really pisses me off, when I find hafe drank cups of homebrew all over the place i feel the rage.
5.this one...:confused: I was ok with. it was 5 close friends and my sis and bro inlaw , we wached UFC 100? , i had 15 gal of home brew on tap and we drank it all. but i could not beleve my eyes when i when back out to the brew haus and see my sister beer bonging my brew. it was about 4am at this point thoe. thankfully there was still some cream ale left to drink till the sun came up. the next morning they were so hung over. I went in to the living room then next day around noon and my sister with a damp rag on her head looks up at me as says "Great party!,, but who the ¤☼☻☺♠♣ beer bongs home brew?"
I said you apparenty, drunk ass.

i don't know what kind of people you hang out with, the only beer my friends would pour out is ones that sat out overnight if the drinker passed out or was so drunk they forgot about it

I quite like Festina Peche, but Rogue's Chipotle is one of the (if not the) only beers to which I say 'No sir, I don't like it.' I've had other pepper beers though, both homebrewed and commercial, and like them a bit better. If you can find Horseheads Brewing (a tiiiiny town next to Corning NY; the brewery just appeared in WNY this summer) they have a beer made with Anaheim and jalapeno peppers that the brewer -- quite correctly -- told me was 'like liquid nachos.' Interesting, and tasty, but only for a few ounces.

I think what the discussion of dumping comes down to is respect. No, I don't expect you to smile and choke down everything I give you because I made it and I'm (prepare for asterisks) King **** of **** Mountain. You're allowed to have opinions, and some of those are allowed to be of me not being perfect (but only some). But if you take an inordinate amount of beer, especially one as full of ingredients and time as an IIPA, you should know you're going to at least finish it. I can't think of a beer I would hate enough to dump (though I admit I chugged the Chipotle before bed) unless it was brewed with bodily secretions (****storm stout?), and in that case I either wouldn't take it or you deserve to have it dumped if you don't tell people it has poop in it until after they pour.

I do believe this is the most profanity filled post I've ever made at HBT XD

I often like to pour myself a beer before I lay down in front of the TV at the end of a long day. Especially if I'm a few pints in, I often fall asleep with a half-drank beer next to me. Not to label myself as someone who promotes drinking in the AM, but when I wake up in the morning, I usually just slam the remainder before jumping in the shower. Again, I just can't bring myself to dump it...
That is friggin gross IMHO :D

Not really, if they have had enough or are no longer enjoying it I don't care if they pour it out. My beer is made to be enjoyed, not choked down.

+1 to these type of comments. sometimes at the end of the evening I'll have a 3rd or half glass and I just don't feel like drinking it, so I'll pour it down the sink.

And for guests, I'd rather them feel comfortable knowing they don't have to finish it if they don't like it. It gives them the comfort to try other ones. But I also tend to be the pourer. Not that I HAVE To be, it just ends up that way cause maybe they're too shy to walk up to the beat and pull the handle. (That's what she said). But once they get the taste if they like it I try my hardest to let them know it is open game. But we also don't have big parties. It's usually 4-6 people at a time at the most.

It would definitely offend me. What's worse, though, is someone pouring out the homebrew you were drinking. While cleaning up, my wife has dumped the last few swallows of my beer a few times. She had the audacity to be surprised when I was pissed. I mean, I was savoring those last drinks! We have a new rule in our house: DON'T TOUCH MY BEER.

Some might take offense to that, especially on National Coffee Day! How dare you?!

I did not realize it was National Coffee Day! I rescind my comments, and in honor of the Coffee Gods, I shall go pour myself another cup of coffee (well, in honor, but also because I did a little too much RDWHAHBing last night).

One aspect of the beer dumping that might not yet have been addressed here:-

My Father in Law will always taste my brews if I offer them. However, he always states beforehand that he will NOT enjoy it. He will NOT like it, and he will NOT like the next one either.

Why does he not like teh darker beer? Well, because it is unamerican of course! Beer must taste like Bud, otherwise the commies have won! It's sad, but true.

One aspect of the beer dumping that might not yet have been addressed here:-

My Father in Law will always taste my brews if I offer them. However, he always states beforehand that he will NOT enjoy it. He will NOT like it, and he will NOT like the next one either.

Why does he not like teh darker beer? Well, because it is unamerican of course! Beer must taste like Bud, otherwise the commies have won! It's sad, but true.

What about bridging the homebrew-commercial american brew gap by giving him a sam adam's imperial stout (or whatever else they sell in 4 packs for $12). Can't get more american than sam adams, and it's a dark beer... then slip in a baltic porter when he's not looking.

What about bridging the homebrew-commercial american brew gap by giving him a sam adam's imperial stout (or whatever else they sell in 4 packs for $12). Can't get more american than sam adams, and it's a dark beer... then slip in a baltic porter when he's not looking.

He's 90 years old....Nothing will change him....Sometimes it's just too late! ;)

He is only allowed one drink a day, and when I'm there we have a highball each. It's the way he wants it. :)

He's 90 years old....Nothing will change him....Sometimes it's just too late! ;)

He is only allowed one drink a day, and when I'm there we have a highball each. It's the way he wants it. :)

Tell him Bud is owned by dam ferriners and Sam Adams and the craft breweries are the only american beers left.

Latest posts

Back