Are there different "types" of IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWars

Reaction score
If you asked me I would say that I do not like IPA's. My experience has been microbrews and commercial examples. They were always extremely bitter and they always tasted like fresh lawn clippings (which I can't stand).

Then I tried DFH 90 min and Bell's Hopslam (recommended at store because they were out of 90 min). Both have the bitterness but they do something with the hops; that all the other examples I have tried have failed to do. The hop flavor somehow doesn't taste like lawn clippings at all and they have all sorts of fruit flavors and other complex aromatics. It is like the hop is "transformed" into something greater than grass clippings.

IMO These brews are truly wonderful, and make me want to try (and brew) more IPA's that share this same "style." Any recommendations of IPA's that treat hops like 90 min and Hopslam???

Thanks!

Based on what you said in your post it is safe to say you like Imperial IPA's. Dog Fish 90 is 9.0% ABV and 90 IBU's. HopSlam is 10.0% ABV and probably has even higher IBU's. Aside from the two you mentioned, here are some of my other favorites.

- Russian River - Pliny The Elder
- Avery - Maharajah
- Dark Horse - Double Crooked Tree
- Founders - Double Trouble

Here is a list of other IIPA's you should try.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/140

It sounds to me like you are very particular about the kind of hops you like. Stick with citrusy hops and you should be good to go.

I love IPA's and IIPA's, but they use different combinations of malt and hops which make them vary in flavor wildly. Hops bitterness vs. hops flavor also varies wildly, due to the timing of the hops additions.

As said above, the hop types make a huge difference, too. Being you in in the midwest, try Bells Two Hearted Ale!

Based on what you said in your post it is safe to say you like Imperial IPA's. Dog Fish 90 is 9.0% ABV and 90 IBU's. HopSlam is 10.0% ABV and probably has even higher IBU's. I'd suggest trying other IIPA's such as. Aside from the two you mentioned, here are some of my other favorites.

- Russian River - Pliny The Elder
- Avery - Maharajah
- Dark Horse - Double Crooked Tree
- Founders - Double Trouble

Here is a list of other IIPA's you should try.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/140

Thanks. I have those 4 on my list. I have heard of Pliney, but haven't seen it around here. I'll consult beeradvote once I am done plowing through your suggestions.

It sounds to me like you are very particular about the kind of hops you like. Stick with citrusy hops and you should be good to go.

I just don't like the cut grass taste. Seems like a lot of IPA's that I have tried are more about having an abundance of hops rather than having great nuance.

I love IPA's and IIPA's, but they use different combinations of malt and hops which make them vary in flavor wildly. Hops bitterness vs. hops flavor also varies wildly, due to the timing of the hops additions.

As said above, the hop types make a huge difference, too. Being you in in the midwest, try Bells Two Hearted Ale!

Yeah, I hate asking for suggestions because I am asking for a IPA that doesn't taste like a mouth full of hops. People look at you weird when you say that...

On my list now. Thanks!

Yeah, I hate asking for suggestions because I am asking for a IPA that doesn't taste like a mouth full of hops. People look at you weird when you say that...

On my list now. Thanks!

It sounds like you like DIPAs or IIPAs, not IPAs. IIPAs are highly hopped, but they are also high ABV which means they have a ton of malt, too. I often think IIPAs are too malty or even too sweet, so I don't enjoy them as much as IPAs.

DFH 90 minute is especially malty-rich to me. That huge grain bill can support a ton of hops, so while it's hoppy too, it's very "rich" with sweet malt if that makes sense.

I think you'll like Schweaty's suggestions.

Thanks. I have those 4 on my list. I have heard of Pliney, but haven't seen it around here. I'll consult beeradvote once I am done plowing through your suggestions.

You may have to find someone on the West coast who will do a beer swap. I bet if you send a sixer of Hop Slam to someone who can't get it that would gladly send you three bombers of Pliny in return.

I just don't like the cut grass taste. Seems like a lot of IPA's that I have tried are more about having an abundance of hops rather than having great nuance.

I was trying to point out that different hops have different flavors. As someone else pointed out how you use them can have a tremendous impact as well. The flavor you are describing is not indicative of the amounts, especially since you enjoy IIPA's which have more hops by far in shear volume. While I know what flavor you are talking about, all IPA's are not that way.

I was trying to point out that different hops have different flavors. As someone else pointed out how you use them can have a tremendous impact as well. The flavor you are describing is not indicative of the amounts, especially since you enjoy IIPA's which have more hops by far in shear volume. While I know what flavor you are talking about, all IPA's are not that way.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain further and now understand what you are saying.

Do you have any suggestions of beers I would like?

Yooper said:
It sounds like you like DIPAs or IIPAs, not IPAs. IIPAs are highly hopped, but they are also high ABV which means they have a ton of malt, too. I often think IIPAs are too malty or even too sweet, so I don't enjoy them as much as IPAs.

DFH 90 minute is especially malty-rich to me. That huge grain bill can support a ton of hops, so while it's hoppy too, it's very "rich" with sweet malt if that makes sense.

Its funny that you say that about 90 min. I feel the same way. It's way to sweet tasting to me and most people look at me like I'm stupid when I say that. I would drink a 60 min anyday over the 90...

Its funny that you say that about 90 min. I feel the same way. It's way to sweet tasting to me and most people look at me like I'm stupid when I say that. I would drink a 60 min anyday over the 90...

I'm the opposite. I don't like the 60 min at all - but LOVE the 90. Go figure.

I prefer the heavier malty-centric IIPAs like Hopslam, personally. It's not a session beer, for sure, but I think the extra malt provides a bit of balance, rather than just going for bitter, which a few of the IPAs, and even IIPAs seem to try to do.

What I like about Hopslam is that it def tastes like a mouth full of hops, without tasting like they were extracting the bitter compounds. I think it has to do with a TON of LATE hop additions and Dry Hopping. Plus Hopslam has a bit of honey in it, IIRC, which may help to give it a smooth flavor.

Something that i am really starting to enjoy, Is the Black IPA. I have had a few different freinds have me try there versions, And some like to showcase the chocolate malt and hops and a little bit less, Others like just a hint of that chocolate malt and just enough hops to call it a IPA.

So, Just and idea on something to try

Um. people look at you weird because IPAs, or at least American IPAs are usually brewed to taste like a mouthful of hops.

There are lots of hop varieties, you may just have to keep sampling until you find the ones you like.

The irony is you enjoying hopslam which smells and tastes like a freshly opened pack of hops. lol

Southern Tier has their Iniquity which is a black IPA. It's rather tasty.

Try Bell's Two Hearted Ale next time. It fits in with the IPA crowd but it is much more flavorful and and probably the most in your nose IPA I have had. It's like getting blasted with citrus and perfume.

Try Bell's Two Hearted Ale next time. It fits in with the IPA crowd but it is much more flavorful and and probably the most in your nose IPA I have had. It's like getting blasted with citrus and perfume.

It's a showcase for Centenniel hops, which are a very floral and perfume-y hop--one of my favs.

Amarillo's another one worth trying if you don't like the typical Cascade/Simcoe pine needly hop flavor; Three Floyd's Gumbalhead is a good example.

I liked IIPA's long before I liked IPA's. Nowadays I rarely drink IIPA's because I find them extremely malty, especially DFH 90, which was the beer that turned me onto hops in the first place.

One IPA you might like is Ithaca Flower Power, it's got a great hop flavor without being overpoweringly bitter.

I like all my IPAs, even the DIPAs to have that clean, non malty taste and finish. Finding this in a double is pretty hard, but RR Pliny does a good job with it. I have a really hard time drinking beers like DFH 90; just way too sweet and masks the taste and flavor of the hop goodness :(

A couple more to add that rank at or near the top of my favorite IPAs are:

1. Sierra Nevada Celebration 2010 - So delicious, it's so crisp and clean. Hardly any malt taste to it, just hop goodness.
2. Stone IPA - Another really clean IPA that has a hint of malt to it.
3. Bridgeport's Hop Czar - Very nice IIPA, good hop background to support the slightly higher malt profile.
4. Bell's Two Hearted - I love this, and clone it whenever possible. Can't find it in washington state though. Only had it in NYC at a craft brewery bar.

I dislike overly bitter IPA's and overly grassy ones. I prefer a nice malt to mine as well.
A few of my favs are:
Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA
Widmer Deadlift IIPA
Pliny
Ninkasi Maiden the Shade.
I also enjoy Stone and Lagunitas regular IPA's.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain further and now understand what you are saying.

Do you have any suggestions of beers I would like?

I'm not really the world's biggest IPA drinker but I like Bell's Two Hearted and Bell's Hopslam a lot. I also like Big Sky IPA and a new local brew around here called Peace Tree DIPA. The majority of my IPA consumption is my own beer. I do both an IPA and an IIPA that both find their way into my rotation quite a bit. Whatever you do I would urge you to avoid the mouth puckering and yet still too sweet nastiness that is Alpha Dog.

Back