Are there any hops you actually dislike?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7 C's is a blend, so technically it can't be a SMaSH. :)

I drank a pale ale brewed with them some months ago. It was pretty good, although IMO the flavor was a bit "muddy".

Brewed an IPA last weekend whose recipe called for Target which I had never used before. I usually love smelling the hop bags when they are open but that stuff is just nasty. I got "rotten cheese" out of it... yuck.

That means they're old. Pretty much all old hops smell like that. While I'm not a huge fan of target, they're not supposed to smell like that.

Well, I have read a lot of this thread, and only have this comment: All hops are great! Our job is to apply them in their proper domain.

I can't stand Mosaic in every beer I've had it in...don't like the sweet berry/melon flavor they put off even when moderately blended with other hops. Does that mean that all 5 or 6 commercial beers I've had them in and my homebrew I used them in were all guilty of using a faulty application of the hop and that's why I don't like them? Not everybody thinks ALL hops are great...some people do actually have their own personal tastes that say otherwise.

That means they're old. Pretty much all old hops smell like that. While I'm not a huge fan of target, they're not supposed to smell like that.

Will vendors take them back? I got an entire pound.

Almost Famous Brewing Company

7 C's is a blend, so technically it can't be a SMaSH. :)

I drank a pale ale brewed with them some months ago. It was pretty good, although IMO the flavor was a bit "muddy".

Muddy like wet dirt or nothing distinguishing about them. I grow Centennial and Cascade and i like Citra so they should be okay for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did a 7Cs pale and was not all that impressed. Same with the zythos blend. I like the falconers flight bend a lot and have bought and enjoyed them on several occasions. I won't be buying the 7cs or zythos blends again.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I tried out strisselspalt recently. They added a pungent black pepper aroma that I was not a huge fan of.

I once used Simcoe and Fuggles together in an APA recipe. :smack: In the fresh beer the result was a flavour clash, but as it aged they ended up blending into something quite drinkable.

Also made a bitter with Styrian Goldings and Bramling - not great at first (IMO), but once 4/5 months in, blended quite nicely.

I got a 1oz pack of Target to try (because I'm silly and overly curious), and mine also smelled slightly cheezy. More like a goat cheese over something like sharp cheddar. Underneath that smell there's something there that's fairly complicated and English.

I used a bit for bittering and they worked great, though I still really want to try them in aroma. Either way, they're interesting and hope to find some places to use them, but I don't think I could find a home for a whole pound of it.

Bramling Cross. I've had several beers with this hop and I find it rather disgusting.

I made a terrible pale ale with Fuggles once. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it definitely has a unique flavor that needs to be used carefully. I'm still looking for a commercial example which will allow me to taste how it can be used nicely.

Summit - could never buy into the big onion flavours I got from an IPA I brewed with them.
Sorachi Ace - I haven't brewed with them myself, but tried a single hop APA (Bellwoods Monogamy) which tasted heavily of dill, and not much else... yuck.

I dislike all of the citrusy hops. Grapefruit does NOT belong in my beer. My fav hops are the goldings, East Kent, US, etc...
I'll actually chew on a few leaves while brewing. I've used other hops, but I like Goldings the best.
Regards, GF.

Just read all 22 pages. For the life of me, I cannot believe that Centennial made this list. To me it smells like....well, it smells like Spring!

If you dont like Centennial, you are communist!

Funny! I pretty much like all hops that begin with the letter C.

I dislike most crop years of Summit. I am also not fond of Calypso, Zythos, Helga, and Galena.

Not everybody thinks ALL hops are great...some people do actually have their own personal tastes that say otherwise.

I was actually reading through every page of this thinking... "Man, there really isn't a hop that I don't truthfully enjoy!" when i saw this. Honestly.. have had just about every one mentioned in many different home and commercial examples and... well, i love them all! Some more than others of course... but they all smell and taste great to my palate.

I'm I alone in that?

Simcoe. Many folks describe it as "cat piss" or "dank". It reminds me of PBR in a steel can.

Simcoe. Many folks describe it as "cat piss" or "dank". It reminds me of PBR in a steel can.

Hmmmmm, I just dry hopped an IPA with Simcoe last night :drunk:

Cascade is the one I feel is overplayed. It's not that I don't like it, I just try to avoid it because it's so dang common.

Fools rush in . . . and here I am, kicking a 4-1/2 year old thread. But in those years, more new hop varieties, so I'd enjoy reading more here. I'll start by bringing up Idaho 7. To me, this is the epitome of an onion-tasting hop. Any beer I see with Idaho 7, I avoid.

I also want to mention I found this thread when Googling Amarillo. To me, Amarillo hops have always smacked mainly of an orange-y flavor, and I love them. But now this happened. Last Sunday I was at Belmont Station (Portland, OR) and got a fresh hop Pono Earth, which I believe is all Amarillo. Took one sip and declared my love. Then my beer-loving buddy, whom I would describe as a discerning super-taster, tried it and made a horrible face: "It tastes like an ashtray!" I don't know if it is the power of suggestion or what, but now I am getting that, too. I had a Pfriem Amarillo fresh hop on Wednesday and got a mild taste of ashtray from it, too. Much less than the Pono Earth, but it was there. Don't get me wrong, I still loved both beers, but I'm worried that my friend may have started the downfall of Amarillo for me. His latest remark on the subject is, "the Emperor has no clothes!"

Edit: 45 minutes later, this has occurred to me -- it was incredibly smokey all summer in the Pacific NW from all the wildfires. Could that smoke have permeated the hop crops?

Last edited:
Nice! Talking about things I hate is one of my favorite things!

Can’t stand Equinox / Eukanot at all. As a general rule I don’t enjoy pepper beers and the hop absolutely REEKS of green pepper, even at low dosage rates. I’m still sitting on half a pound I bought 4 years ago. Untouchable.

I am also not a fan of Warrior anymore. I used to bitter my IPAs exclusively with the hop and had issues with this harsh hop bite on the back of my palate. Since switching to Magnum (at equivalent or higher bittering rates), I’ve noticed a mellower presentation. I can’t say for sure that Warrior is the culprit, but I’ve never noticed any issues with bittering quality since switching, and I’ve used Magnum in some pretty delicate styles (Kölsch, Märzen, etc).

Nice! Talking about things I hate is one of my favorite things!

This reminds me of a great David Sedaris quote: "You think I can't out-hate you, %&$hole? I was [freakin'] hating since before you were born!"

Thanks for weighing in, enjoying this discussion.

In general, not a fan of the old school c-hops: cascade, centennial, and to a lesser extent, chinook. The first 2 I blame for it taking me so long to appreciate hoppy beers in my craft beer drinking infancy.

Back