Ar-15/M-4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been dying to get my hands on one for a long time and I think I'm finally going to get serious about looking for one. anyone have any tips/suggestions?

From what I've always heard, Colt and Bushmaster are the only makes I should be looking at, but I want to hear more opinions because I know there are plenty of options.

I'm also unfortunately going to have to skip some of the modifications because of this hell-hole government-loving city I live in (for now).

Help me prepare for Armageddon! ;)

it depends on what you are using the rifle for. I've shot many ar-15 rifles and they are fine guns. my uncle has one. I myself opted for a Russian made sks, basically an ak-47, shoots the same round. picked up a 30 round clip and a pistol grip fiberforce stock. this rifle is basically for "home defense". but when comparing the two I look back on the Vietnam war when these two rifles were on opposite sides. our soldiers said flat out they were outgunned. the ak was a tank of a rifle, almost impervious to dust and grime and required very little maintenance. whereas the m-16 was very sensitive to dust and very high maintenance. they jammed up - a lot. I've jammed my uncles ar-15 more times than he will let me forget. many things to consider here. price - you can get an ak or sks for around 3 to 5 bills. the ar will run about 7 to 8 bills. the ak shoots a 7.65x 39mm while the ar shoots a 223.round. two completely different rounds with different purposes. If your opting for the ar go with the COLT

There are plenty of decent AR manufacturers out there. The only one that I have even heard anything remotely bad about is a company named Olympic Arms. Even then, for what you are using it for (I am assuming target shooting/plinking), you shouldn't have any issues with any AR you get. I have a Bushmaster M4A3 and absolutely love it. I think I paid $1099 before taxes and the police application fee. I probably could have gotten it a bit cheaper somewhere, but I was happy with it. If I could do it over again I would probably build one. After disassembling/cleaning/reassembling my Bushmaster a dozen times I quickly realized that these guns are not that complicated. You can build one for under $700.

Edit- What kind of mods do you have to skip? NY is pretty anti-gun, what kind of loops are you going to have to jump through to get an evil black rifle?:eek::eek:

I have sold AR-15's before, and I prefer Bushmasters. The Rock River Arms and others are all fine guns, but they are (were) more expensive, and you don't get much more ( or anything more) for your money.

Shop around and get something you like and feel comfortable with, you didn't say if you were looking for a full length rifle, or a carbine. My personal rifle is a carbine without a carry handle, uses an extended arms rail that carry a pop up rear sight and is probably 8 years out of date by now. Not that it matters, but whats cool on rifles changes over time just like anything else.

Pick out something you can shoot, and then buy mags, ammo, and spare parts.

Fabrique national makes the best one, They have the contract for most of the weapons for the military. I used one by them in Iraq in 08, and a machine gun by them in 09.
www.fnhusa.com

A coworker just built an Ar for around 800 I would get one thats stamped .223/5.56 so that you can fire normal .223 ammo and Mil surplus out of the same gun.

I have an Olympic Arms AR-15 and I have never had issues with it. I did however replace the buffer and spring with a pneumatic buffer assembly (adjustable). It hits what I aim at (using a red-dot sight) and I like it. That being said, the Colt and Bushmaster arms are definately premium weapons in comparison. My son (USASF) recently purchased a Colt M4 model (not sure of exact model number) and he uses it regularly to keep sharp. I traded him my AK-47 (Semi-Auto) for 4 - 20" Rims and Tires for my Dodge Ram. He of course made out on the deal as I also included all of the magazines and surplus ammo (1500 rounds).

I collect Battle Rifles and the .223 and 308 as well as the .06 are my favorite calibers.

If you can make the price, buy the Colt or BushMaster.

Salute! :mug:

as far as i know you cant legally have an AR15 in the 5 boroughs of NY City.

That being said, if i am wrong, check out white oak precision www.whiteoakprecision.com

or compass lake engineering www.compasslake.com

both are considered the best AR gunsmiths when it comes to accuracy, they build rifles for the top competitors.

Great info, I knew with all the people on this board there would be a good amount of people who knew more than me about this. Thanks!

I'm in law enforcement, so for now, it gives me slightly more leeway than the regular licensee, so that part is covered. But I definitely don't want to modify it so that it is illegal statewide just incase I do have to use it, not to mention for ranges and in the woods.

I was assigned an automatic M-4 Carbine in the Army before the regular Army got them in the late '90's, so I am looking for something along those lines (obviously no auto). I'm very familiar with this weapon, and while I know a little about AK's and SKS's, I definitely want the AR because of my familiarity and the price of the ammo.

The wood w stainless barrel and flash supressor does look pretty good. I have never put a scope on mine (still using the peephole sights)but that would be the next up upgrade.

With what is out there right now you can't go wrong interchanging parts and/or doing a custom build. If there's a gun show near your area you should drop by to see if you can get parts cheap. There are a lot of accessories too! The three major things you need to consider are these: Chrome Barrel w/ correct twist rate (depends on your bullet weight and how you plan to shoot, i.e. long range, close range/tactical) ; M4 feed ramp. You really need to read up on this. Make sure it's a full M4 feed ramp. This provides the best reliability. Check both barrel and upper receiver. Last but not least- get a good bolt carrier group. The rest you can change easily. Trigger group, sights, butt stock, barrel assembly with aftermarket accessory rail, flash hider... you get the point.

I'm also a LEO and we have to qualify with the M4. You should be able to get your hands on testing a few. They have different builds for each situation that can possibly arise.

Good luck and stay safe!

Back