April Fools Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OMG I just realized tomorrow is April 1st. I *really* should play a prank on my daughter(s). I feel as though I did not do that enough as they were growing up, and before long they will have both moved away and my opportunities will have evaporated.

I don't want to do anything to hurt them, physically or emotionally.

When I was a kid I tried to prank my older sister by taking the sugar out of the sugar bowl and filling it with salt. Unfortunately, my MOM had breakfast first. I *should* have warned her, but the trap was set and all I could do was sit in horror/glee as mom took a bite of her Salted Wheaties.

I don't remember the rest of that day, except for the next few seconds. That will never leave me.

And one time (ok, two times!) I attached one of those pull-apart firecrackers to a cabinet door for my wife to open. You'd think I'd learn my lesson after the first time, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

They say you can tell a really good prank by amount of guilt you feel afterwards.

I'm thinking maybe set her alarm to go off at 5:00 am or something. It's too late to buy an annoyatron from Thinkgeek.com, darn it!

Every year on April 1st, I would set my alarm early to get up before my parents. That was hard enough, they always got up so early to have coffee and watch the morning news in peace. So I would get up early and rubberband the spray house on the sink and make sure it was positioned properly. Then every single year, my mom would get up to make a pot of coffee and get soaked. The best part is that she would always replace the band after filling the coffee pot so that my dad would inevitably be the next victim.

Every year man.. they never remembered the following year. I might have to do it this weekend when I go out for Easter dinner.

If you want something a little more spicy and potentially dangerous... the airhorn hidden on the side of the toilet, attached to the seat is always good for ****s and giggles.

When I was a teenager, my mother told me she had me induced so I wouldn't be born an April Fool! It took me until 7:38PM to do the WTF did you smack me for thing.

I'm going with a rubber snake in the shower this year. SWMBO is going to freaking lose her mind when she peels that curtain back tomorrow morning.

Well Cad jockey thanks for the Idea. I don't know if I can sleep afterwards I hear the scream! lol
;)

I got that beat. One year, at the old house around the block, we woke up one Saturday morning. She was petting something roughly the color of Tigger, the grey/black tiger rat killer. Turns out, as I awoke a bit more, she was petting a field mouse! She freaked, I laughed me arse off, then the lil smart ass runs up & down my body, totally freaking! It was then I realized my feet were totally tied up in the blanket! I finally swiped him onto the floor...then she laughed her arse off. But Tigger & Misty (English odd-eyed shorthair) had the last laugh. They killed the whole family, then brought their baby into the kitchen to play with!:mug:

When I was a kid my old man removed all the food from the fridge and hung a skeleton inside it. Might have been his best prank ever!

Proposed to SWMBO on April Fool's day. Got down on one knee, was all romantic, and then pulled out one of these:

image.jpg

Are they internet savvy enough that they've seen this one?
facebook-gold-account.jpg

It works better when you get some friends to play along and comment "That's awesome!" and "Great pic"

Many moons ago when I was the only one responsible for new customer contact at a company, another employee told me after I arrived for work that some guy called and he was very interested in our expensive product. He handed me a slip of paper with the name (Mr. Bare) and number. Hook, line, and sinker - I called the zoo and was fairly insistent with the operator that I speak with Mr. Bare. Slowly it sunk in that it was April Fool's day. (The operator told me it was the zoo switchboard's busiest day.) Took me a while to live that one down.

Pranks played in the past, still havent thought one up for this year

- Plastic snake/rat in microwave. No one expects the microwave. No one. (mailbox or any other unassuming everyday used box works too)
- those snap and pops (the little poppers you throw on the floor and they pop) placed in the crack between the top of the door and the frame, They fall off either when opening or closing the door.
- rubber band sprayer trick
- office coffee machine - print out a notice telling people that it has been upgraded to be voice activated. Listen for the gullible.
- a piece of tape on the bottom of a computer mouse (foils both optical and ball mice). Kind of a PITA since I am the one expected to fix them.

I will think of more.

Oh, and I know it is probably a little late for the OP question of what to do to your kid, but my dad always found it hilarious to pick me or my brother up along with our comforter and place us in the bath tub so that we were disoriented when we woke up. Or exchange which bed we are in so I would wake in his room and he in mine. It did get old after a few years.

It's not much but I took the drawers out of my boys' dresser and and put them back in different slots. Too bad I won't be here to see their reactions!

I don't do anything now because of the lack of victims available. I didn't reserve doing things to people for a single day, but things I have done at work were:

• Out of service note on the coffee pot. Results in numerous trips to Starbucks which was across the street.
  • Out of service note on the bathroom doors. Those were great days, I had the bathroom to myself all day and it was wonderful.
  • Unplug mice from computers. I was always the one who was asked to take a look and I'd fiddle **** around for a bit before I actually helped.
  • Take one wheel off a chair (do this to the right person. it was done to a woman who actually went out on stress leave the next day as a result and I was indeed in trouble.)
  • People who left their desk and didn't lock their PC got a fresh new wallpaper and screen saver. (this one would no longer fly in my company as I'd be written up for touching someone else's PC).
  • Unplug phone jack but tape the end to the bottom of the phone. Call that person's extension often.
  • Start a rumor that our boss is letting us go 2 hours early. When that time hits, you can see the annoyance because there was no official announcement. The boss never caught onto that one.
  • My favorite and something I still do when I do return to the office, take something obvious from someone's desk. Make "Lost" signs with a picture of the item and place them around the department. Wait.

Most of these are best with at least one other person who is participating. I worked in a wonderful department where there were 4 of us who would pull this crap on people. It made for a great time.

Thought I'd share my last year's prank. It was Tiger's opening day, so the day before April Fools. I was picking up a friend from the "prank house" and was able to sneak away to their basement. Prior to all of this, I rigged up a loudspeaker to a plug in wall-timer and set the timer to go off a 4 in the morning the next day (being April 1st), and set it up behind the entertainment center in the corner. It just so happened that one of the guys in the house had falling asleep down in the pranked room with his head facing the danger zone.

When I'm talking siren, I'm referencing an ear piercing, louder than car alarm, 120volt driven SIREN!!! *I wore earplugs when testing this out*

My buddy woke up in disarray, disoriented, and ran upstairs thinking the house alarm or a neighborhood nuclear attack was happening. All distraught, he stumbled back downstairs and finds out where it was coming from. Apparently, according to his other roommates, he was seen circling the "prank," cursing, and yelling, "I RESPECT YOU!," while smashing the siren with the wall plug. My other buddies described it as a crime scene that looked like the lego-man had been murdered.

Pretty intense prank, one that will definitely go down in history, and as a result there may or may not have been some post dramatic stress and middle-of-the-night wakeups to follow....

Everyone texted in sick at the same time then showed up for work. Boss fell for it hook line & sinker. She was overly conserned with one lady who has never called in sick. She kept texting to find out what was wrong with her no one would answer.

She is buying office pizza for lunch.

I still regret a missed opportunity - I had an October wedding, so SWMBO and I absolutely should have posted on FB a photoshopped pic of us in front of a Vegas wedding chapel saying "Wedding planning was a pain in the butt, so SURPRISE!"

(We would have, of course, let the moms and sisters in on the joke ahead of time to avoid heart attacks.)

So, I was dating this girl back in 2008. I was working on a research vessel in the Bering Sea for most of the year, and we had winter in-port in Seattle. So, when I was at sea we stayed in contact via email and telephone when I made port.

Both of us had a lot of tattoo work, and we both agreed that it was always a bad idea to get significant others names tattooed on yourself.

One day, in mid-March, she and I were talking, and she said, "Um, remember how we decided that we were not going to get each other's names inked?"

"Um... yeah...?" I replied.

"Well, " she said. "I went in to get that touch-up work I wanted, and I got talking to this new artist there, and well... I did something."

"What did you do?! Did you get my name?!" I was stunned, but I had to see it. "Send me a picture!"

"I can't really take a picture of it myself... it's kind in a hard place to reach."

damn. wow.

"I'll wait until Linda comes over this weekend, and I'll take a picture of it them, I'll need her help to get some good ones."

damn.

wow.

So, a week goes by, the ship was in-port for some repairs, so when friday comes around, I call my girl and ask where the pics were.

"One of the damn cats (she had seven) chewed my usb cable, so, I'm going to have to wait until payday to go get a new one. But, I promise you won't be disappointed."

So... another week goes by. By this time I am chomping at the bit, wanting to see this elusive tattoo with my name on some part of her body that was hard to photograph without assistance.

Due to more mechanical difficulties, our departure from Kodiak was delayed several more days, so I called her as soon as I got a break.

"Did you get the cable?"

"Yes, and Linda too the pics last night."

"Well send them! I'm dyin' here!"

"ok, sending now."

I had my email booted up, so I was sitting there when it hit my in-box. I stared in disbelief at the horrible... I mean, the worst, shoddy, sh*tty, tattoo work I had ever seen. The photo's were not that good, but it was definitely Leesa's um... lower back... and there it was... a sort of crooked, blown-out semi-tribal... tramp stamp...thing... with some negative space in a star shape, where my name KURT was inked in a very unsteady hand.

"Did you get it?" she said on the other end of the line?

"You got... that...?"

"Yeah, do you like it?"

"Did you check out this guy's portfolio at all?!"

"No... he was just really cool, and when we started talking, I just decided to go for it... What's wrong?" she asked.

It was then that it hit me. I knew she wouldn't have just sat down in some new artist's chair and let him work on her like that. I started looking at the picture a little bit closer... something was not right... then my eye caught the date on the email. April 1, 2008.

"You f*cking b*tch." I said, unable to keep from laughing.

"April Fools." She said, and hung up.

Many moons ago when I was the only one responsible for new customer contact at a company, another employee told me after I arrived for work that some guy called and he was very interested in our expensive product. He handed me a slip of paper with the name (Mr. Bare) and number. Hook, line, and sinker - I called the zoo and was fairly insistent with the operator that I speak with Mr. Bare. Slowly it sunk in that it was April Fool's day. (The operator told me it was the zoo switchboard's busiest day.) Took me a while to live that one down.

Just pulled this on my boss...
He thought he had a wrong number so he dialed the number TWICE. He was going dial it a third time but the secretary stopped him with, "My God Man, Read the Note!"
:mug:

Are they internet savvy enough that they've seen this one?
facebook-gold-account.jpg

It works better when you get some friends to play along and comment "That's awesome!" and "Great pic"

I'm doing this for my youngest. Having a few family and friends comment about how embarrassing it is.

I tried texting my oldest to tell her the college emailed me about some disciplinary action, but she is too smart. "Um, I don't think they would contact you about that stuff..."

She knows I know she is a good kid and would be scared to actually do anything bad. And she is well aware of April Fools day. She even told my wife to have me give her sister and her friend plastic bags to pick up dog poop in tonight!

Bummer, it's time to pick up dog poop for realsies...

local place posted this:

Updated Draft List:
TAP#
1 - The Alchemist, Heady Topper
2 - Lawson's, Sip Of Sunshine
3 - Hill Farmstead, Edward
4 - Russian River, Pliny The Elder
5 - Russian River, Pliny The Younger
6 - Bell's, Bourbon Barrel Aged Hopslam (nitro) - (no growlers)
7 - Westvleteren, 14
8 - Lost Abbey, Duck Duck Gose
9 - 3 Floyd's, Bourbon Barrel Aged Vanilla Dark Lord
10 - Kona, Longboard Lager - (no growlers)

beer nerds jizzed their pants.

Jsut sent to a coworker Hugh Hugh LOL for the whole office except 1. She was on the phone so set it to her even bigger LOL

Thank you for this idea

I have sent various tickets to our guys requesting they call mr Baer at (the number for the Smithsonian Zoo) today. They are going to hate me. That gag is brilliant!

Edit: Wow, the blackberry lady was getting irate about it until I explained.

My young one finally got to see my FB post at lunch hour. She emailed my wife asking her to send her the picture because she couldn't see it.

My wife didn't answer, but got another email from daughter saying it was an April Fools joke, wasn't it?

Then she posted on FB, "Don't you just LOOOOOOOOOOVE April Fool's Day??"

I really gotta get an Annoyatron for next year...

My young one finally got to see my FB post at lunch hour. She emailed my wife asking her to send her the picture because she couldn't see it.

My wife didn't answer, but got another email from daughter saying it was an April Fools joke, wasn't it?

Then she posted on FB, "Don't you just LOOOOOOOOOOVE April Fool's Day??"

I really gotta get an Annoyatron for next year...

Haha! Excellent!

Haha! Excellent!

She then had to post that she was joking when she emailed my wife about the pictures. Just as I had predicted, she tried to claim she knew it was a joke all along.

First email: Subject: Fb photo

What is that photo. Send it to me. I can't see it over fb

Sent from my iPod

Second Email: Subject:

Fricken April fools right?

Sent from my iPod

I have not received a single angry call or text from the woman today.

Either she did not make herself any coffee this morning (which I find hard to believe), or she does not want to give me the satisfaction of knowing that I got her.

Goddammit all, I just came home from work and got myself again.

I'm beginning to think I'm the only April Fool in this house.

Pretty sure I started a thread about this a couple years ago.... :mug:

I didn't do anything fun this year. Just spread about the new "BJCP Scoresheet" like it was serious.

Some funny things out there beer related, but for me, the ultimate cake was an article in the UK press that Arsenal FC is paying £50million to buy Tottenham Hotspur striker Harry Kane. If you follow English football at all, but especially if you're a Spurs supporter, that'd REALLY grind your gears. It was almost too early for me to realize it was a prank. But I saw through it before I could get mad.

I'm not the least bit original, so I got nothin', except I can show you two of my favorites from friends and acquaintances today:

From the BJCP:
Simplified Scoresheet Now Available
Responding to demands that we simplified judging, competitions, exams, and styles, we are today, April 1, introducing the BJCP 2015 Simplified Scoresheet. It's a new scoresheet for a new era, driven by modern craft beer trends, and recognizing the changing nature of beer styles.
The new scoresheet is the only the first of the changes to be rolled out. We expect to abolish ranks as too judgemental, and instead adopt a ranking system based on number of posts to beer rating or homebrewing forums.
"I can't think of a better day to introduce these changes," said BJCP President Gordon Strong. "We hope it can cut exam grading from 12 weeks to 15 minutes." Anyone Planning Retakes Is Likely Fine, Or Only Lightly Stressed.
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015scoresheet.pdf

From Deb Carey (New Glarus)
http://allaboutbeer.com/new-glarus-to-pull-out-of-wisconsin/

I'm not the least bit original, so I got nothin', except I can show you two of my favorites from friends and acquaintances today:

From the BJCP:
Simplified Scoresheet Now Available
Responding to demands that we simplified judging, competitions, exams, and styles, we are today, April 1, introducing the BJCP 2015 Simplified Scoresheet. It's a new scoresheet for a new era, driven by modern craft beer trends, and recognizing the changing nature of beer styles.
The new scoresheet is the only the first of the changes to be rolled out. We expect to abolish ranks as too judgemental, and instead adopt a ranking system based on number of posts to beer rating or homebrewing forums.
"I can't think of a better day to introduce these changes," said BJCP President Gordon Strong. "We hope it can cut exam grading from 12 weeks to 15 minutes." Anyone Planning Retakes Is Likely Fine, Or Only Lightly Stressed.
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015scoresheet.pdf

From Deb Carey (New Glarus)
http://allaboutbeer.com/new-glarus-to-pull-out-of-wisconsin/

The New Glarus one cracked me up.

The Sixpoint "Beer Dust" Palcahol thing cracked me up too. http://sixpoint.com/blog/recent/sixpoint-beer-dust/

But my favorite of the day (beer related at least) was the "trademark dispute" between two locals to me, Old Ox and Lost Rhino. In the context that Old Ox is already being sued by Red Bull for trademark issues, it's even funnier. Some light googling will get you the Facebook exchange. Hilarious.

We expect to abolish ranks as too judgemental, and instead adopt a ranking system based on number of posts to beer rating or homebrewing forums.

This was so awesome to me. For a minute there, I was like "YES!!!! I made Grand Master BJCP!!!!!" then I realized that, nope. I still have to do it the hard way. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back