April 2nd timeframe. When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandRiverZip

Reaction score
I have folks coming over on April 2nd, and I have 3 beers I'd like to bottle before then.

Beer 1 is a Scottish 80- and was brewed 2/20/11. Was in Primary for 2 weeks, then secondary on 3/5.

Beer 2 is a small batch of leftovers, Kinda a IIPA. Brewed on 2/28/11 racked to Secondary and dry hopped on 3/12/11.

Beer 3 is EdWort's Pale Ale, brewed on 3/5/11. Dry hopped in Primary on 3/12/11.

So my question is when should I bottle each. I'd love to have all of them ready for 4/2/11, but don't want to at the expense of poor beer. I figure IF I am going to get them in bottles it has to happen by 3/19/11 at the very latest.

Ideas?

It's too late if you want conditioned carbonated beer. Bottle 3 weeks minimum at room temp (medium gravity beer), then at least 2 days chilling time.

Well, I guess 1 day is minimum, but it won't change much, might as well drink it out of the fermentor. If you want properly conditioned/carbonated (If you "don't want to at the expense of poor beer") it's gonna take 3 weeks unless they are lower gravity, after that at least 2 days chilling. Maybe the double IPA could be pushed if it's nice and hoppy.

So you're not set up for kegging? You could force carbonate but it would still be green.

As others have said, 3 weeks in the bottle at 70 degrees to properly carb and condition. However, bigger beers can take several months.

I find that most average strength beer will carb in 10-14 days but they definitely taste better - that meaning the green flavor fades out - after three weeks +.

I would wait on these. Since you want to share you would want to share the best product possible.

Back