Apricot extraction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pndubber

Reaction score
Brewing up some apricot ale and wanting some opinions. I was told to put the vodka I am soaking the fruit into the beer with the fruit. I have also been told to just use the fruit. Who's done what and how did it work? Cheers.

Generally I add frozen fruit (in a muslin bag or cheesecloth) to the secondary. You will retain more flavor and aroma this way. I have never used vodka and have never had an infection (probably a dozen fruit batches under my belt). The alcohol is high enough after primary fermentation to deal with any nasties.

Unless you are using puree from a can than no freezing is necessary just sanitize the top of the can before you open it and dump it in.

i like to add into the secondary- i feel like i get more of the qulaities i'm looking for from the fruit. I don't freeze puree- like was said- i just sanitize the top and my funnel, but i always freeze whole fruit- i think bruising it like that makes it more fermentable- but i can't say i have scientific proof of that... many times it's also frozen because i'm using it out of season

Back