Apple Wine/liquor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiewinemaker

Reaction score
Hey Everyone.

Last night I watched a youtube video where a guy fermented 6 gallons of apple juice with EC-1118 and made wine. He then transferred the wine into milk jugs and froze them. After the were froze, he tipped them upside down and let the "alcohol" run out and separate it from the water.

Has anyone done this and can anyone explain the process a little better? How would you determine the alcohol content after this process was completed.

Also is this safe to do?

Thanks

It is called apple jack. It is a very old technique and there are a few threads about it here. A search will bring up a wealth of information for you.

Ok thanks! I still dont know if i can convince myself to take 5 or 6 gallons of perfectly fine apple wine or apple cider to make 1 liter of 40% alcohol.

Thanks tho!

40% will be tuff with freezing, there is a chart somewhere that tells freezing temp vs ABV. Some will tell you to freeze and strain then repeat, but truly that is useless. The absolute temp you freeze it to determines the alc level.

Done it. Tastes awesome. However, you need a lot of cider to make a small amount. You get about 25% of the alcohol and liquids within 60 +/- minutes. It's totally worth it.

Cheers

It is called Winter Brandy and the reason you re freeze is as it drains off is the first time water melts with it. So you re freeze and drain again. You can get it down to where none will freeze then you have got it as hot as you can with this method. We do it on some wines that we really don't like as well as others.

It is good for apple/cherry I can tell you that! Plain apple too. Even though it concentrates the alcohol, it also concentrates all the fruity goodness. I used a plain white Tee shirt to strain, put the slush in it and twist as hard as I can and hold for min or so. I try to do it as quickly as possible so as not to let the water melt back into it.

Hey T Baggins You might try this. Freeze in a half gallon plastic jug. Poke a small hole for air in the bottom of jug remove lid and drain into an open mouth quart jar. Throw the first jug with the big flavored snow cone away and enjoy what is in the qt or repeat until satisfied.

Boy the apple cherry left a nice hangover after a bottle n a half las night...still, good stuff! I did also sip off some apple pie and some down home 'shine that had some peaches marinating in it...

It's delicious and easy to do, and you lose a lot of volume, but it's cheap/easy to make large quantities of apple wine. You can also add sugar to your fermentation to boost the alcohol level, but I think this may increase some of the hangover stuff in the final apple jack.

I think the percentages given from hard cider above are misleading. No offense intended. The procedures given are basically correct, but here goes, Apple Jack does not have heads or tails, that is only from distillation. When it comes to Apple Jack hangovers, in my experience, it is caused by too high fermentation temperatures and how stressed the yeast were causing fusel alcohols at the top of their fermentation temp range. My first batch of hard cider wasn't worth talking about, as it smelled like nail polish remover. Temps were way too high because I didn't treat it like beer and control the ferment. Back to the original idea: 1) there are no heads or tails, 2) removing the alcohol is easy to do. Depending on the temperature of your freezer, will for the most part control the amount of alcohol available. If the bottle/carton, etc., is frozen mostly solid, the first drippings will be very high proof and flavor concentrated, and as the color fades out of the ice, so does the alcohol concentration. Let me make this clear: just because the ice is now w/o color, that does not mean all the alcohol is gone. Let the ice completely thaw, and put it back in the freezer again. Percentage wise, the alcohol ice will be very weak, but there is some left in there. How much time do you want to take up? A couple of things: you can use any sugar source to add to the cider, white, brown, agave, etc., will strengthen the ABV, but the flavors made I really don't want, I want apple. I will use a 12oz can of FAJC into a 2 liter bottle, and top the bottle off with pure juice or cider, and hit an O.G. of 1.080 or so. You could add 3 cans of concentrate and top off with water to 64 oz total, or, of course add what ever you want. Using concentrate with juice is my favored method. Keep in mind two things: the higher the ABV, the longer it will take to ferment, and keep your temps as low as possible to avoid off flavors. I use London ESB 1968 yeast, as it is my house strain, and makes a nice cider. This yeast doesn't eat all the sugars, and clears quite well when made into bottled cider. As well, it makes really smooth AJ. I like my AJ a little on the sweet side to smooth it out even more. I hope this helps you out.

EDIT: It would seem since hard cider gets better with age, that AJ would also get better with age. Does anyone have experience with aging hard cider/Apple Jack?

Back