Apple pie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
Ok I've tried this stuff called "apple pie" I was told it was moonshine but I'm sure it was just a apple cider with some spices, it was nice and sweet, but tasted almost just like apple pie, anyone know how to make this stuff?

I make this every year for my annual ski trip with friends. Very good in the winter. We like to heat it on the stove.

1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider
3 cups white sugar
8 cinnamon sticks
1 (750 milliliter) bottle of everclear

I usually add about 5 sliced up and peeled apples to the mix. These are like the worms in tequila I suppose.

I've also made it with a bottle of rum too, but I think that gets to be a bit much.

I was wondering if you able to brew this or if you just have to add your own store bought to it. Lately I have had the idea if I can't brew it I won't drink it, just let me know if I can brew my own

I make Apple Pie, BlueBerry Pie and Lemon Drop. I started with moonshine, but now I just use Diesel Everclear. I use 7 - 1/2 gallon apple juices, 1 lb brown suger, apple pie spices (cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg etc) 2 1 ltr bottles of everclear. I pour the apple juice in a large pan and warm it up to around 140º. Add the sugar and the spices and stir them all together. Add the spices to your taste. after it all mixes together well, place the pan in an ice bath in the sink. Stir it until it cools down to around 75º. Then add the 2 bottles of everclear and mix well for a few seconds. Pour the mix back into the apple juice and everclear bottles, put the lid on and they are ready to go. I drink it warm. If youy leave it in your car or truck all day while your at work, and the sun heats your ride up, it will taste like warm apple pie. Put it on vanilla ice cream. The spices will settle out on the bottom. You can shake them up or leave them settled out. Enjoy.

This sounds like mulled cider. Try substituting some of the white sugar with brown sugar, it is mighty tasty! I use grain vodka, but everclear sounds like a good choice as well. I'll have to try that one. I will also have to try it on ice cream, that sounds good.

I made some cider with the "super yeast" could I use that?

No, you can't make this at home. It's illegal to distill. The rest of it, yes, but you'd have to buy the everclear. I just don't see the point in homebrewing this when it's so much cheaper and easier to buy.

I don't like distilled stuff any more, I know, I must be getting old.
You could just make a 12% cider and put in "apple pie spices", I see different brands in the store all the time.
I know that 12% is a little light for some hard core people out there, but with how good it taste, I can drink enough to do desired results any time.

Here's the real deal:

BayviewBob's Apple pie

One gallon apple juice
20 whole cloves
7 or 8 cinnamon sticks
1/2 cup brown sugar

combine above ingredients and boil for 10 minutes

Simmer for 20 minutes

cool

Add
One fifth of whiskey
One fifth of everclear ( or 1/2 fifth, your call )
put in a carboy and let sit.

After 30 days strain and bottle.

This will taste just like mom's apple pie only it will knock you out! if you are not careful.

Back