apple pie wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikEH86

Reaction score
Good day all.

I can buy apple juice in a gallon jug that is all natural, I was thinking about trying to do a apple pie version I was thinking about using my wife's apple pie recipe(is there any spices you would avoid?), I was wondering when I should add the spices, first or second fermentation and for how long roughly (i guess that last bit is subjective to how potent you want the spices taste right?) and can they be in there to long?

thanks for any help.

In secondary, and use whole spices rather than powdered. Powdered stuff doesn't mix well.
Good day all.

I can buy apple juice in a gallon jug that is all natural, I was thinking about trying to do a apple pie version I was thinking about using my wife's apple pie recipe(is there any spices you would avoid?), I was wondering when I should add the spices, first or second fermentation and for how long roughly (i guess that last bit is subjective to how potent you want the spices taste right?) and can they be in there to long?

thanks for any help.
I would agree with the whole spices. I made a batch of apple cider (~5.5 gallons) and used, I believe, 1.5 sticks of cinnamon and 3 cloves. These spices are not very noticeable in the final product for my batch but many people recommend being conservative in your spicing and adding more to the next batch if desired.

In secondary, and use whole spices rather than powdered. Powdered stuff doesn't mix well.

I would agree with the whole spices. I made a batch of apple cider (~5.5 gallons) and used, I believe, 1.5 sticks of cinnamon and 3 cloves. These spices are not very noticeable in the final product for my batch but many people recommend being conservative in your spicing and adding more to the next batch if desired.

Thanks! will have to buy some whole spices totally would have added powder if you guys did not say anything! how long have/did you leave them in secondary for?

Thanks! will have to buy some whole spices totally would have added powder if you guys did not say anything! how long have/did you leave them in secondary for?
I believe about 3-4 weeks in a carboy for conditioning before I racked into another carboy. I don't know if adding the spices while fermentation is going strong will hurt it but to be safe I waited until fermentation was basically finished.

Let me know how your batch goes. Also, not that it makes a big difference but I made my hard apple cider with apple cider rather than apple juice.

Latest posts

Back