Apple Orchard Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBagdaddy

Reaction score
I’ve hit an apple orchard nearby where I can buy gallons of cider. Can I just dump them into a carboy and at yeast? Do I need to “ bloom” the yeast? What kind of yeast is recommended?

yes you can. you dont even have to add yeast you could prolly just leave the cider out to ferment naturally , a lot of orchards dont pasteurize there cider they just keep it cold.

but i would add yeast (i like s05 for ciders) . also a cup of black tea for tannins wouldnt hurt and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient or a handfull of chopped raisens would prolly work also to help the yeast.

My beer club does a cider buy every year from a local cidery every year, and most guys throw it into a carboy with an airlock on it and leave it in their basement. They said the wild yeast makes awesome cider. I've yet to do it, but I've sampled some at our meetings, and it's darn good.

Last edited:
Back