Apple Juice vs Grape Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmd2k1

Reaction score
curious how the sugars et al in Apple Juice compare to those in Grape Juice.

Someone enlighten me please :)

Cheers!

Seems like I remember it being around 1.060 or 1.065, that is standard white grape juice in the grocery store.

Makes sense. No two types of juice should have the same SG unless they were adjusted with sugar additions or subtractions.

Grape juice has more sugar than apple juice. IIRC, grape juice is 170 calories per 8 oz serving and apple is 110 to 130.
Same types of sugars (different ratios?) all 100% fermentable...no doubt.

I just measured some white grape juice with a refractometer. It's 15 Brix. To get it to 22 Brix, add 10.5 ounces of sugar per gallon. For 23 Brix, 12 ounces per gallon. And for 21 Brix, it's 9 ounces. I will check the purple grape juice too, but it should be the same because both say 150 calories per serving (not 170 like I previously guessed.)

I haven't decided how much sugar I'm going to add, or which yeast I will use. I'm mixing 62.5% purple and 37.5% white, and planning to start drinking it within weeks of bottling -- so probably towards the lower ABV limits rather than making rocket fuel ;)
Same types of sugars (different ratios?) all 100% fermentable...no doubt.

I don't know what the mix of sucrose, dextrose, and fructose is, (probably mostly sucrose) but it's all 100% fermentable so it shouldn't matter.

Edit: Just measured the purple juice and it's 16 Brix. About ½% more potential ABV.

Last edited:
I just measured some white grape juice with a refractometer. It's 15 Brix. To get it to 22 Brix, add 10.5 ounces of sugar per gallon. For 23 Brix, 12 ounces per gallon. And for 21 Brix, it's 9 ounces. I will check the purple grape juice too, but it should be the same because both say 150 calories per serving (not 170 like I previously guessed.)

I haven't decided how much sugar I'm going to add, or which yeast I will use. I'm mixing 62.5% purple and 37.5% white, and planning to start drinking it within weeks of bottling -- so probably towards the lower ABV limits rather than making rocket fuel ;)

I don't know what the mix of sucrose, dextrose, and fructose is, (probably mostly sucrose) but it's all 100% fermentable so it shouldn't matter.

Edit: Just measured the purple juice and it's 16 Brix. About ½% more potential ABV.
Wonder how much 1can FGJC raises SG/Brix per gal GJ? (Welch's FGJC has 36grams sugar X 6servings = 216g per can)

Last edited:
I've been doing some down and dirty wine with grape juice and bread yeast...10 days max. The OG has been consistently between 1.110 to 1.120. Honestly not bad stuff at all.

Back