Apollo Citra Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladius270

Reaction score
I've never really come up with a recipe on my own... Just want some opinions on this before I try it, to see if I need to adjust hop schedule or anything.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.57 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.9 %
1 lbs GreenSwaen©Gold Hell (12.7 SRM)

Mash @ 152 for 60 minutes
Batch Sparge

0.50 oz Apollo [18.30 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 34.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.30 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 17.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 4.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Apollo [18.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 min

2.00 oz Citra [13.30 %] - Dry Hop 5 days

WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast

I assume this is an IPA? If GreenSwaen Gold Hell is a light crystal malt, I would back it down to half a lb or less. Also, I would personally do more steeping hops (maybe 3 oz), to get a bit more flavor/aroma. Other than that, sounds good to me!

Yeah, shooting for an IPA. Was gonna get 10L crystal, but this is a Belgian 12L and it tasted really good raw.

If I upped the steep, should I cut back at the 5 and 30 adds? The hoops listed are all I have.

Turned out pretty well. Happy with the grain bill. The 12L Swaenn works. Really happy with the yeast, too. Next time I think I will cut the 5 minute hops and bump the steep up. The bitterness is about right, but doesn't have the juicy pop I imagined. Perceiving more classic west coast citrus style than the juicy style hop character I was looking for. Is the apollo assertive enough in that quantity to take over the citra?

Turned out pretty well. Happy with the grain bill. The 12L Swaenn works. Really happy with the yeast, too. Next time I think I will cut the 5 minute hops and bump the steep up. The bitterness is about right, but doesn't have the juicy pop I imagined. Perceiving more classic west coast citrus style than the juicy style hop character I was looking for. Is the apollo assertive enough in that quantity to take over the citra?

Yes. Personally I just do a 60 minute addition to get to whatever IBUs I’m targeting (or your FWH), then boil and cool to 180 or less and do a massive hop steep (generally in the 6 oz range, and then about the same for dry hopping). I don’t feel I get anything from a 30 or 15 minute addition that’s not covered by the bittering charge and the whirlpool.

I certainly don’t think Apollo will overwhelm Citra — much more the other way around. But I think the juiciness comes from the steep and dry hop additions.

Did this with the same grain bill, but LBHS didn't have much citra. Subbed mosaic. Did away with the 30 minute hop add, upped flameout to 3 oz. Mosaic, .5 oz Apollo. Dry hopping with 2 oz. Mosaic.

Back