apfelwien smells pretty bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cory41287

Reaction score
so i did an attempt at EdWorts recipe, its on day 3 now and to be honest it smells almost like rotten eggs. the wine is cloudy (i know its supposed to be) and it has about a half inch of foam on the top. yesterday i looked at it and it had big bubbles on top. almost like an infection would but the bubbles were clear(not white and cloudy) and there was alot of CO2 rising to the top from the yeast on the bottom. the fermmometer on the BB carboy says about 72-73 degrees. i just finished an American wheat in the same carboy, i soaked it in pcw cleaner and cold water for 24 hours and plain water for 24hours but there was still some small deposits left in there i sanitized with iodophor befor putting the apfelwien in there. could i possably have an infection? what have your apfelwiens smelled like in the heat of fermentation?

any help is very appriciated.

Could be an infection but most likely not. Just because you sanitized doesn't mean you killed any buggies in those deposits. Iodophor is a Surface sanitizer and won't pentrate into those bits of gunk

For the Smell. Yes, read the Apfelwein thread. You'll see tons of mentions of the infamous Rhino Farts smell. Apfelwein Stinks while fermenting. THe Rotten eggs is normal.

Fermentation can look/taste/and smell horrible. Just let it finish itself and give the eyast time to clean up after themselves and these go away......unless you do have an infection. POst a picture of the white bubbles and most liekly someone will say, yes, that is fine.

LOL

I remember the exact same thing happening to me with my first batch of apfelwein. You are fine. It is next to impossible to mess up a batch of apfelwein, and the rhino farts are normal.

I cant wait to see your first post, post apfelwein consumption. :)
That should be good.
-Me

lol right on, i walked into the room this morning and it was quite a surprise, yesterday it smelled like nice sweet apple juice. when i was out fishing this morning, my wife also walked into the room and almost died. but as long as its doing what its supposed to, i'm okay with that.

thanks guys

Back