Apfelwein Serving Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beala

Reaction score
With 4000+ gallons of apfelwein made to date, you guys have got to have some creative ways of serving it! I think off the bat, EdWort suggested sweeting apfelwein to taste with:

1) Sprite
2) apple juice

I tried mixing sprite with a different cider I made, and I can't say I liked the results. I guess I'll have to try it again with apfelwein. I have yet to try mixing it with apple juice because the 10 gallons of juice i have in the apartment are all in the fermenters!

What I really did like was sweetening to taste with pomegranate juice. It takes the edge off the dryness and gives it a slightly tart finish.

So any other interesting ways of serving apfelwein? Preferred temperatures? Mixed drinks? Any particular foods that apfelwein goes especially well with?

Did you sweeten with pomegranate juice as you bottled or do you mix as you pour? How much juice did you mix it with?

I was going to try EdWort's serving suggestion of heating some up on the stove with some cinnamon and cloves for a bit of a winter drink.

I do plan on making a pomegranate apfelwein, but for now I just sweeten the apfelwein after I pour it into the glass. It really depends on your personal tastes, but I measured it out with shot glasses today, and it turns out I like to start off with two 1oz shots of pomegranate added to a 12oz bottle of apfelwein. Of course, if you want it sweeter, keep adding more.

I'll definitely have to try that winter drink next time is starts snowing.

Back