Apfelwein has a layer of krausen forming? I think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I have a quick question that search didn't help me too much with.

Last night at around 10 p.m. I decided to make my first batch of apfelwein using edworts recipe. I used:

- 5 gallons tree top apple juice (same edwort uses)
- 2 lbs corn sugar (dextrose from LHBS)
- 1 package Red Star Montrachet wine yeast

I followed his instructions and put it all in a 6.5 gallon carboy. Sanitized everything with one step cleaner and star-san.

This morning around 10 I checked on it and found my airlock bubbling, and much to my surprise, a layer of krausen-like stuff forming on the top of the juice :confused:

I could have swore that I read that Montrachet wine yeast is NOT supposed to form any krausen and only cause some bubbling.

Did I do something wrong? Possibly an infection? I know I'm probably worry too soon and way too much. Just would like some peace of mind :)

Respectfully,

Patrick

image.jpg

It's too soon to make either of those judgments, you are barely over 12 hours. Let it ride.

RDWHAHB

The presence or absence of kraeusen is more related to the properties of the wort - how much it "sticks" to itself, for lack of a better word. Everything looks fine to me.

I had what I thought was a krausen on my first batch. It didn't look that thick, though. I used a five gallon carboy and it event blew up into the airlock. I also used apple cider for that batch so it could have just been protein or something from the fine particulate in cider.

I made one not to long ago, it had a little bit on top of it also.. can't say if it was that thick.. it was a much smaller batch..

But it did have a frothy layer on top..

The krausen thickens ... Lol

I have just checked it 3 hours later. The head of krausen has gotten larger and filled out more.

I'm glad to hear y'all say to relax, don't worry, sounds typical or possible etc. ....

Ill just ride it out and let everyone know how it's developing ...

Never had apfelwein before. Hope I will like it :)

image.jpg

I had a batch form one and one that didn't both turned out well, just wait till the rhino fart smell comes along!!!!

I never noticed it on my batches. Mainly because I usually just lock it in a closet and forget about it until I run out of my previous batch. I do check it after several days when it starts stinking to clean up the overflows.

Do you like ciders? Think of it as a cider that isnt super sweet. If you like apple you will like it. But the old rotten apple smell you get for about a week does stink.

I didn't see that on mine but it's probably fine. Let it sit until you are ready to bottle and then taste it when you take a FG sample. Then you will know for sure.

I never had any with mine. Good thing you had the head space, mine would have been all over the floor

Well ... Now the krausen is gone at 6:40!

I am not sure what to think about this, but am fascinated to have watched the krausen grow/develop/fall in 8 hours or so

image.jpg

Excellent! I'm glad to hear that. The SWMBO thing cracks me up.

And Stvo you're right .... 2 1/2 days in and the nasty rhino fart
smell has taken over the room!

Patrick, I'm curious how yours turned out. I also just made my first batch of Apfelwein, following EdWorts recipe exactly, except I used two gallons of Treetop Cider rather than Apple Juice because the store ran out. I'm stationed overseas and very limited to what I have access to. Used Montrachet yeast as directed.

Mine has been in the fermentation chamber for two days, holding at 65 degrees, and the krausen is going through the airlock. I'm about to throw the blow-off tube on it. I'm really confused by this because every thread says no krausen is formed.

Patrick, I'm curious how yours turned out. I also just made my first batch of Apfelwein, following EdWorts recipe exactly, except I used two gallons of Treetop Cider rather than Apple Juice because the store ran out. I'm stationed overseas and very limited to what I have access to. Used Montrachet yeast as directed.

Mine has been in the fermentation chamber for two days, holding at 65 degrees, and the krausen is going through the airlock. I'm about to throw the blow-off tube on it. I'm really confused by this because every thread says no krausen is formed.

Hello there. Well yes that batch of apfelwein came out great and super tasty. It was an extremely big hit around the house and I just actually just kegged 10 more gallons last night! (Same recipe, but I added blackberry purée to 5 gallons and it is awesome). I didn't get any krausen on either this time, same yeast, but different brands of juice. Maybe that had something to do with it, idk (treetop vs heb brand)

You don't have anything that looks out of the ordinary to me. I noticed earlier in this thread a fella who used cider for his apfelwein needed a blow off tube too. You also don't have much headspace, probably since you weren't expecting any krausen to form, but that'll subside fairly quickly *I believe*.

Let it ride, it's looks great! Bet it will be super tasty

Mine did the same thing initially, now it's cool. In my experience (cool basement) it took almost 6 weeks before it started to clear, and now at eight weeks still has a continuous stream of little bubbles coming up from the depths.

Can't wait to try it in April!

Thanks for the response. Glad yours turned out great and the batch with blueberries sounds awesome. I feel a lot better now, but planned on letting this ride a few months no matter what. Thought it would be something great to have on tap in the spring.

Back