APA - first atempt!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kadmium

Reaction score
Ok, so I found this recipe off the net, and decided to give it a whirl. Tell me what you think...

High Sierra Pale Ale
(5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.060 FG = 1.014
IBUs = 51 ABV = 5.9%

Ingredients
6 lbs. (2.7 kg) light dry malt extract
1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt (10 ¼L) 4 oz. (112 grams) crystal malt (40 ¼L)
1 oz. (28 grams) Chinook hops
(bittering)
1 oz. (28 grams) Cascade hops (flavor)
1 oz. (28 grams) Cascade hops
(aroma)
5 oz. (140 grams) priming sugar
1 pkg. brewers yeast
1 grain steeping bag
1 hop bag (for flavor hops)

:mug:

Looks great to me, too. The only way I'd tweek it would be a bit less Crystal 10 and use a different bittering hop--Magnum, Northern Brewer, Perle...

But if you've already got the ingredients together, go for it! I've found with SNPA type ales, that the Crystal and lots of Cascade at the end of boil are the real clinchers. Have fun, I'm sure you'll enjoy that brew.

Monk

:) thanks for the advice. I am thinking of upping the bittering hops to 2oz perle for bittering, and dry hopping the last 1oz of cascade. What do you think? Also, which yeast do you guys recomend?

I am also going to do a late addition of the DME to get the colour as light as possible. I think I will get rid of / lower the 10L and add some maltodextrine powder aswell, to get a really nice head/body... or will that totaly not suit this style? never brewed an APA :D

MD probably isn't a good idea in a Pale.

If you want it lighter, just leave out the 4 oz. of C40L. You need the C10L for background malt.

A clean, high-attenuation dried yeast will do it. Keep the temperature at the low end of the range.

Excellent. Need a high floculation, high attenuation and a neutral yeast... :) ok. I will omit the malto. and get rid of the 40L. I will use the 10L for background malt. I want somthing with nice head retention, so hopefully this will have a nice head to it. Cheers guys.

Okay, just brewed my APA. Will post a full thread with pics etc. But here is my modified recipe

Kadmiums Dark Pale Ale
(5 gallons/23 L, extract with grains)
OG = 1.045 FG = 1.014
IBUs = 21 ABV = 5.9%

Ingredients
6 lbs. (2.7 kg) light dry malt extract
1.1 lb. (0.45 kg) crystal malt 60L
1 oz. (28 grams) Perle hops
(bittering)
1 oz. (28 grams) Cascade hops (flavor)
1 oz. (28 grams) Cascade hops
(aroma)
1 pkg. Safale US-56
1 grain steeping bag

It turned out quite dark, and I dont know the OG as I CBF taking a reading because it doesnt really bother me how high the ABV is, aslon as she tastes nice :)

My boil ended up being pslit like this. 1.5 gallons with the crystal 60L steeped for 15 mins, then boiled with the hops and 2 pounds malt. then another seperate pot boiled with the remaining DME... Wonder how this will turn out?

PS, It has got quite a dark colour to it so I dont know how 'pale' of an ale it will be :D

Back