Anyway to correct Acetobacter infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonPopeil

Reaction score
So, I screwed up. I changed my mind on when to rack a beer out to a keg and forgot to snap the lid back on. It sat with the lid loosely lined up on the top for about a week. When I got to it I saw an oily streak across the top and a small white/grey bubbley mass that did not look like anything yeasty. The beer has a sour/twangy flavor and aroma.

I have it racked to a keg that spent 2-3 days at 39F/30psi. After that short carb it remained sour. I haven't looked at it for a few days.

From what I've researched, carbing and chilling will stop Acetobacter growth but what about the sour flavor? Will that clean up/age out? Any way to remedy this?

Other than being sour, does it taste okay? Or is it a "gross" sour?
It's just sour really. It was a malty mild with a bit of crystal, carafa and special roast. I get no sweetness, breadiness, etc. It's like viscous vinegar or at least it was when i tried it last weekend.

Tried it again today. Cleaned up a good bit. Actually has a beer flavor. Still a strong vinegar twang to it. I dumped it along with the bitter I pitched onto the same yeast cake. That one still had an acidic twang to it but not nearly as bad.

Latest posts

Back