Anything wrong with *not* syphoning cider when bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Profezzur

Reaction score
Title kinda says it all. I just brewed, bottled and consumed my first batch of beer which turned out really well. From what I read, yeast can actually be kinda good for you as it's high in vitamin B, so my question is, is there anything wrong with not using a siphon when bottling hard cider? I know it'll be cloudy, but that's a desired trait in this case. What I want to know is how it'll affect the taste and any other possible negative impacts it may have.

I did not siphon my beer so it was consumed with yeast and all.

Thank you for reading this and your reply, if you leave one. :)

If you aren't siphoning then how are you bottling without transferring or introducing oxygen? Spigot on your fermented?

How do you feel about explosive wind? yeast heavy beer plays havoc with my insides:)

CiderRules said:
If you aren't siphoning then how are you bottling without transferring or introducing oxygen? Spigot on your fermented?

Lol yeah, I really hope you aren't pouring it into each bottle :)

I have a spigot on my bucket and I used to go straight to bottle. Problem was that I had to put sugar in each individual bottle and try are diff sizes so if have x tbs in some, y tbs in others...

Now I ferment, siphon to bottling bucket, stir in priming solution and go.

Great responses from everyone, thank you. :)

CiderRules - I haven't made hard cider yet, with my beer I had a spigot on the fermentor. Is oxygen a big deal if you're going to carbonate it?

bob3000 - Yeast heavy beer doesn't have that affect on me (or maybe it does and I just don't notice :D )

As for oxygen though, don't you start getting oxygen in once you open the cider to add yeast anyways?

icanbenchurcat - I make small batches, this first attempt will probably be with no more than 2 gallons of cider so measuring by tbs is not a big deal to me.

If you're doing small batches, perhaps you could cold crash it for a few days and let more of the yeast settle below the level of the spigot?

And remember that those yeasties will keep eating, so you'll want to pasteurize or cold crash the bottles once you're happy with the level of carbonation.

Hefeweissbier and some other similar German beers have all kinds of sediment in the bottom. When in Berlin the locals said that Hefe's were a loaf of bread in a bottle. That's why the monks brewed them was so they could get through the fast with there ration of beer a day.

That's probably why I look how I do today.

CiderRules - I haven't made hard cider yet, with my beer I had a spigot on the fermentor. Is oxygen a big deal if you're going to carbonate it?

As for oxygen though, don't you start getting oxygen in once you open the cider to add yeast anyways?

I'm not ciderrules- but yes, oxygen is a HUGE deal. Pouring or splashing after fermentation will ruin the cider. That's why we siphon. If it didn't, would would just pour, wouldn't we? :D

You need to add oxygen before adding yeast. At that point, the yeast need oxygen to reproduce. But after that, fermentation is anaerobic.

An example of how oxygen is bad after fermentation is simply to consider leftover beer or wine. Have you ever had a beer the next day, after it's been opened? It's not good. wine can be even worse, and people take great pains to avoid that.

Cider is even more susceptible to oxidation than beer or wine, so great pains are taken to siphon quietly (without splashing) into the bottles with tubing all the way to the bottom (or a bottling wand) to avoid oxidation at all costs.

Thank you Hallerobin and Yooper. It's going to be a few days before I get yeast in the cider and then a couple of weeks after that before I bottle. Good to know this before I start. :)

Back