Anyone with the GE 7 cu ft or Magic Chef 7 cu ft freezer can you help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
It's impossible to get either one of these right now but I'm building my garage around these while I wait. If you have either of these, I need a couple measurements:

1) Can you confirm the width?
2) I need to know the height of the lid when fully opened at roughly 24" from the rear of the chest freezer. This is so I can see where I can place shelves above.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Not handy for me to measure mine but the width on Home Depot.com for the Magic Chef was correct. For the lid width, if you go with the height + depth and add an inch or two you will be good as it doesn't go quite 90 degrees open.

Not handy for me to measure mine but the width on Home Depot.com for the Magic Chef was correct. For the lid width, if you go with the height + depth and add an inch or two you will be good as it doesn't go quite 90 degrees open.

Thanks! Sorry didn't realize the HD website had the dimensions with the lid opened. Appreciate it! The width just seems to hard to believe when I look at the space I've carved out haha. Does it work decently well? Did you add a collar?

Thanks! Sorry didn't realize the HD website had the dimensions with the lid opened. Appreciate it! The width just seems to hard to believe when I look at the space I've carved out haha. Does it work decently well? Did you add a collar?
My first GE lasted 11 years my current one I got in 2013. The dimension are not the same, the outside width is one inch less but the drawing showed the old dimensions at the time of purchase. It's very hard to get four kegs in compared to the old one. Look at my picture and you can see the difference.

Attachments

• 20200524_084625.jpg
    20200524_084625.jpg
    1,004.8 KB · Views: 35
My first GE lasted 11 years my current one I got in 2013. The dimension are not the same, the outside width is one inch less but the drawing showed the old dimensions at the time of purchase. It's very hard to get four kegs in compared to the old one. Look at my picture and you can see the difference.

Yikes - so just to clarify this is the FCM7SKWW? I definitely want to make sure 4 fit comfortably although I do plan to build a collar at least on one of the two. I'm also going to see if I can find out a little more about the Insignia 7 cu ft from Best Buy. Seems like I have plenty of time considering it's impossible to get anything at the moment haha.

Sorry, I meant lid height but if they have a dimension even better.

It holds 4 ball lock kegs on the floor so I added a wood top to the lid, then installed two towers. I also ran my CO2 line through the back edge of the lid so I didn't have to drill any holes in the body. There's some details in this post. Keezer with no collar?

Sorry, I meant lid height but if they have a dimension even better.

It holds 4 ball lock kegs on the floor so I added a wood top to the lid, then installed two towers. I also ran my CO2 line through the back edge of the lid so I didn't have to drill any holes in the body. There's some details in this post. Keezer with no collar?

Well done! Just to make sure my eyes aren't deceiving me it looks like you just drilled through the lid to add the towers right?

Yikes - so just to clarify this is the FCM7SKWW? I definitely want to make sure 4 fit comfortably although I do plan to build a collar at least on one of the two. I'm also going to see if I can find out a little more about the Insignia 7 cu ft from Best Buy. Seems like I have plenty of time considering it's impossible to get anything at the moment haha.
My unit doesn't have a label anymore. I found a registration card but I am not sure if is for the current model.
1/8" clearance is all I have to play with.

Attachments

• 20200524_092500.jpg
    20200524_092500.jpg
    649.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_2944.jpg
    100_2944.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Bottom.jpg
    Bottom.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 40
My unit doesn't have a label anymore. I found a registration card but I am not sure if is for the current model.
1/8" clearance is all I have to play with.

This is helpful thanks. IIRC those particular ball locks are a fraction wider than the soda ball locks - maybe 1/4" or so?

This is helpful thanks. IIRC those particular ball locks are a fraction wider than the soda ball locks - maybe 1/4" or so?
All my ball locks have a 8-1/2" diameter.

Attachments

• 20200524_095614.jpg
    20200524_095614.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
Really great info thank you. Now I just need to pray HD gets them back at some point.

Now I just need to pray HD gets them back at some point.

Best bet is to order one and get it on back order.
I ordered a Hotpoint 7 (for keezer) and 9.4 (for food) yesterday, and they're backordered until 24 August. Employee told me to check back online periodically (recommended end of June) to see if they are available, because their inventory prediction is not always perfect; they might come in before August, but that won't move a backordered order up - so order in June and cancel the backordered order.

I ordered a Hotpoint 7 (for keezer) and 9.4 (for food) yesterday, and they're backordered until 24 August. Employee told me to check back online periodically (recommended end of June) to see if they are available, because their inventory prediction is not always perfect; they might come in before August, but that won't move a backordered order up - so order in June and cancel the backordered order.

Thank you!

How many 5-gallon kegs can that Hotpoint fit on the floor? I've seen 3 for sure but not sure if it's capable of 4?

I have had the magic chef for a few months or so

I can fit 4 on the floor plus a 5# co2 tank and 2 gallon bucket for my chilling reservoir on the compressor hump.

It's a great little keezer but I'll warn you that it's a pretty tight fit. My taps aren't in a particularly bad spot since they're lined up with the compressor and I still have to do some gymnastics to get the front right keg to clear my shanks when changing.

For reference I do have 4 and 1/8" shanks. You could probably go shorter if you don't plan to insulate the collar with too much extra thickness.

and 2 gallon bucket for my chilling reservoir on the compressor hump.

Chilling your fermenter? Or beer lines? My towers could stand to be cooler. I built a tower cooler but really the fan isn't powerful enough. I was thinking about redoing it but have wondered too about circulating liquid with a little 12v pump.

It's a great little keezer but I'll warn you that it's a pretty tight fit. My taps aren't in a particularly bad spot since they're lined up with the compressor and I still have to do some gymnastics to get the front right keg to clear my shanks when changing.

For reference I do have 4 and 1/8" shanks. You could probably go shorter if you don't plan to insulate the collar with too much extra thickness.

I had this problem with another freezer-turned-keezer with a collar. When I added taps to it I used shorter shanks and it helped a lot but still it could be tricky. The Magic Chef doesn't leave a ton of room to spare so I could definitely see that being a challenge.

I have had the magic chef for a few months or so

I can fit 4 on the floor plus a 5# co2 tank and 2 gallon bucket for my chilling reservoir on the compressor hump.

Thanks! This doesn't sound like too much of a problem. I'll build a collar on one and the other is just for conditioning so it sounds like I'll be ok giving myself the extra clearance.

How many 5-gallon kegs can that Hotpoint fit on the floor? I've seen 3 for sure but not sure if it's capable of 4?
Not yet having the thing, and only being able to estimate based on _reported_ inner dimensions, If I've read the online information correctly, the floor is 23 3/4 x 15, the compressor hump is 7 1/2 x 15.

Thanks to the last owner of my house (40+ year union sheet metal worker) I've got soapstone drawing sticks, so I drew those dimensions on my basement floor - looks like, of the used cornys I have, I can only fit three on the floor, four with a collar.

But: I have fat kegs - 1 with a 2' 3.5" circumference, 2 x Cornelius Company Super Champions with a 2' 3.75" circ, , 1 with a 2' 4" circ.

That works out to 1 - 8.75" diameter, 2 - 8.83" diameter, 1 - 8.91" diameter.
In my BEST autocad drawing I can BARELY fit all four, and I think that's optimistic as heck.

Now, I've been considering buying Slim Line Torpedo kegs from MoreBeer, in 1.5G and 2.5G, so that I could fit in more than the max 5 gallon cornys my keezer will hold - this revelation cinches that decision. I don't mind the idea of having smaller batches on tap to allow more variety, if I want it.

Chilling your fermenter? Or beer lines? My towers could stand to be cooler. I built a tower cooler but really the fan isn't powerful enough. I was thinking about redoing it but have wondered too about circulating liquid with a little 12v pump.

I had this problem with another freezer-turned-keezer with a collar. When I added taps to it I used shorter shanks and it helped a lot but still it could be tricky. The Magic Chef doesn't leave a ton of room to spare so I could definitely see that being a challenge.

Chilling my fermentor. I'm in a condo so I don't really have or want to use the space for another freezer and glycol is overboard for what I currently need (plus a decibal concern). The compromise is just a 2 gallon reservoir in the keezer, then I run the lines through the back of the collar. I have a hook back there to store the chilling coil when not in use, and I added a couple in line push to connect fittings so I can easily pop the coil off for cleaning. I use the Anvil system for reference, and I'm just on my second beer with it but have been happy so far. I won't be cold crashing or lagering with a 2 gallon reservoir at keezer temps but it's plenty to keep fermentation in the temp ranges I need.

Honestly the space issue isn't a deal breaker, just something to be aware of. The reality is it's an issue that rears its head for only a few minutes whenever it's time to change out that specific keg, which is probably a handful of times a year.

Not yet having the thing, and only being able to estimate based on _reported_ inner dimensions, If I've read the online information correctly, the floor is 23 3/4 x 15, the compressor hump is 7 1/2 x 15.

Thanks to the last owner of my house (40+ year union sheet metal worker) I've got soapstone drawing sticks, so I drew those dimensions on my basement floor - looks like, of the used cornys I have, I can only fit three on the floor, four with a collar.

But: I have fat kegs - 1 with a 2' 3.5" circumference, 2 x Cornelius Company Super Champions with a 2' 3.75" circ, , 1 with a 2' 4" circ.

That works out to 1 - 8.75" diameter, 2 - 8.83" diameter, 1 - 8.91" diameter.
In my BEST autocad drawing I can BARELY fit all four, and I think that's optimistic as heck.

Now, I've been considering buying Slim Line Torpedo kegs from MoreBeer, in 1.5G and 2.5G, so that I could fit in more than the max 5 gallon cornys my keezer will hold - this revelation cinches that decision. I don't mind the idea of having smaller batches on tap to allow more variety, if I want it.

Great thanks appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back