Anyone use the BrewTree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x2wdtoyotax

Reaction score
I am in the planning phase of a two or three tier gravity based system. I like the idea of a compact footprint like the BrewTree...

tn_DSC00087.jpg

Does anyone have any experience with this design? Are there any suggested improvements?

I am also toying with the idea of electric vs propane.

I currently have the following gear to put into the build so far:

(3) sanke kegs , mostly unmodified.
DIY 25' counterflow chiller
(1) 6" HP propane burner (cajun cooker style)
Hobart MIG welder
Chop Saw

I have priced out the following:

LP Gas Burner
http://www.agrisupplyco.com/burner-cast-low-presure-multi-hole-/p/40282/cn/5400001/
$9.99

36” LP Gas Hose
http://www.agrisupplyco.com/lp-gas-hose-assembly-/p/36108/cn/5400001/ $5.99

LP Gas Regulator and Hose
http://www.agrisupplyco.com/low-pressure-regulator-/p/33735/cn/5400001/
$10.95

Gas On/Off Valves
Lowes
$30.00

2' X 3/4 X 3/4 X 14 GA (.083 wall)**A513 Steel Structural Square Tube Metals Depot.com (Qty 4)
$13.60

6' X 1-1/2 X 1-1/2 X 16GA (.065 wall)**A513 Steel Structural Square Tube Metals Depot.com (Qty 4)
$50.16

2' X 2' X 3/4 inch Diamond x 9 GA**Carbon Steel - Flattened Expanded Metal Sheet
Metals Depot.com (Qty 1)
$17.00

2' X 1 X 1 X 1/4 Steel Angle**A-36 Steel Angle
Metals Depot.com (Qty 12)
$53.52

Shipping
Metals Depot.com
$39.00

3-1/2'' x 1-1/4'' Medium Duty Swivel Caster
Harbor Frieght (Qty 4)
$28.00

Weldless Thermometer/Sight Gauge Fitting
Bargainfittings.com (Qty 3)
$147.00

Weldless Bulkhead w/ Ball Valve
Bargainfittings.com (Qty 3)
$66.00

Copper Siphon Tube
Bargainfittings.com (Qty 2)
$25.98

Shipping
Bargainfittings.com
$5.00

Total $518.17

I feel like I can do better on the price.. Any Ideas?

I pretty much built my own from scrap metal and am going electric so that I dont even have to roll it outside. Heres a pic of what I built, the Turkey fryer is now deleted and an electric keggle has been added and the top HLt is now electric also with a Ranco controller. I am working on polishing the keggle as we speak and mostly done, thats costing me more then i thought but as you can see from the pic it was pretty nasty looking when I bought it.

Brewsculpture.jpg

HLT11.jpg

Keggle1.jpg

Mine is a tree format. It works well, my build is in my signature below. The brew tree looks a bit tall, I would arrange so the BK is only as high as it needs to be based on your cooling process. I think the brew tree's plumbing is a little overboard for a gravity based setup. If I could change one thing about mine I would have offset the HLT and BK so they are not directly over each other. I sometimes have paint flaking off of the burner above and also I would like to have more direct overhead access to that kettle. I have incorporated a pump and rims to mine so I may cut the tree down a bit to make access to the MLT easier, but I would maintain the height difference of the HLT-MLT for gravity feed.

Latest posts

Back