Anyone use honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBCBrewmaster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been reading that you're supposed to dilute your pasteurized honey down to your OG before adding it at high krausen. problem is if I dilute it that much it will be too much volume in the primary and may well overflow. Any one know how critical the dilution is?

The dilution is just because Honey varys alot in gravity. You can buy 10 different brands of the same type of honey and they all have different gravitys when diluted in a leter of water.

So if your not so worried about the gravity of the honey your putting in I wouldnt worry about diluting too much.

So then I'm wondering what the purpose of diluting it is then. Why even bother?

Yeah, eff all that crap. Most brews require around 1-3 lbs of honey, so just plug the amount into beersmith and it when you find the og you want, just use its estimate. Also, I usually add honey in the last 5 minutes of the boil, but the last beer I did required me to put it in at the beginning of the boil, and I couldn't tell a difference.

I've done some research about using honey and it's recommended by the National Honey board that you not add it to the boil because you will loose it's aromatics and flavor. So I'm going to attempt to pasteurize it myself and add it at high Kreusen. which is going to be tomorrow most likely. I just want to avoid a really nasty mess. I have a 20 gallon batch split into 4 fermenters. so this could get ugly!

Back