Anyone use Bentonite or Chillkleer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I am in the process of fermenting our first Cider, and hoping to clear it as much as possible. Times a bit of an issue as hoping to have it ready ASAP, but happy to have it as clear as it's going to be in the timeframe.

I plan to crash cool it down to .5*C as soon as it reached the SG iI'm after, I also have a big bag of Chillkleer. Now I cannot for the life of my fine dosage rates for his. I know you have to whisk it up and vigourously stir it into the cider for it to be effective, but I dont want to over do it...

Any one any experience on this?

I've used bentonite as well when I didn't want to wait for things to clear. It works better when cold. Like Buzz said, it doesn't take much.

Hey Buzz, do you have to stir it in, or do you just add it to the cider and let it work its magic?

Oregonbrew: pectic enzyme clears pectin, not other particulates (chill haze, tannin haze) that can cloud up the cider. Trust me, I have a batch right now that is virtually pectin-free and is still hazy.

Oregonbrew: pectic enzyme clears pectin, not other particulates (chill haze, tannin haze) that can cloud up the cider. Trust me, I have a batch right now that is virtually pectin-free and is still hazy.

my cider is always crystal clear… i guess i thought it was always due to the enzyme..

Latest posts

Back