anyone try this yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i've brewed a few batches with some cerviesea 'wine' yeast, it's worse then using baker's yeast! and the baynus i was using! [...]

1633203355985.png

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Baynus
:D

Saccharomyces bayanus - Wikipedia

i just always forget the extra 'a'....

edit: and the only problem i had with the bayanus yeast is body. it didn't taste bad, and it flocc'd good. but my dry beer, just didn't have much body. the premiere classique i've used in the last 3 batches, doesn't flocc good, and tastes worse then baker's yeast. oh well, i only spent $30 for a 500g brick, i can always just eat it straight as a dietary supplement. ;) :mug:

Last edited:
well, preliminary look, it's crystal clear....the top yeast stuff didn't drop without a stir....but my final gravity was ~0.994, which is AWESOME, for what i like! i plan on kegging it tomorrow, getting it cold for a burst carb sesh...if it tastes good, i'm sold! (and yes, i added gluco, but normaly, that only gets me to 1.000...so this is still a dry, dry yeast)

One of the better brewers in our local club got a brick of the Mauribrew Pacific Ale Yeast and has been using it all summer - for pretty much any style. Good stuff if you ask me. His beers are always good. I have never asked about his baynus.

One of the better brewers in our local club got a brick of the Mauribrew Pacific Ale Yeast and has been using it all summer - for pretty much any style. Good stuff if you ask me. His beers are always good. I have never asked about his baynus.

This is intriguing especially for the price and if it makes a good beer well damn I might have to try it.

This is intriguing especially for the price and if it makes a good beer well damn I might have to try it.

i'm kegging it today, and burst carbing....so i'll know tonight! at least if I like it....

One of the better brewers in our local club got a brick of the Mauribrew Pacific Ale Yeast and has been using it all summer - for pretty much any style.

RIGHT ON! that's what i'm hoping for....

welp, kegged two kegs, burst carbed to 1oz co2 a piece, going to finish this cider, should take about an hour. give em enough time to settle....

when i was pumping it out of the fermenter, i noticed half way down...it looked cloudy, i brewed this last wednesday. normally my beer is clear all the way through by now. the yeast cake was VERY thick, and smooth. if that means anything.

i'll be happy as long as every pour isn't a "FIRST" pour, and the first 4ozs has to be dumped, and it tastes good...

and i'm affraid, when it comes to tasting, i'm binary and this is all i'll be able to say...👍👎

If X Yeast Costs $ and your end product tastes like...chode.

And Y yeast Costs $$ and your end product tastes like....

View attachment 745667

then pony up the extra scratch..sheesh.

i'm not sure about this post, but accepting that road, this is at the end!

1634265536935.png

:mug:

and my beer is kinda a fruit bomb......

A couple threads on HBT about it. One guy likes it except says the yeast cake is loose.

HBT Link 1

HBT Link 2

with as fruity as this is, i'd be thinking 64f tops...thanks for the links! :mug: (keep in mind this batch was with 55ozs corn flakes, and 2.5lbs table sugar....but as far as a loose yeast cake, i found it the opposite. but this is pacific ale, not draught?)

i would say it does taste really clean, which i like....i'm thinking i might actually try temp control next batch...but it's going to be an oat malt batch, so???? not sure what to expect.....

with as fruity as this is, i'd be thinking 64f tops...thanks for the links! :mug: (keep in mind this batch was with 55ozs corn flakes, and 2.5lbs table sugar....but as far as a loose yeast cake, i found it the opposite. but this is pacific ale, not draught?)

i would say it does taste really clean, which i like....i'm thinking i might actually try temp control next batch...but it's going to be an oat malt batch, so???? not sure what to expect.....

My bad the first link is for their draught yeast I got excited finding it and missed that. The second talks about their ale yeast.

Edit: It also appears they have another ale yeast different from the Pacific coast version and that other link is probably what they are talking about. From what I gather the Pacific coast strain is AB01 and there other ale strain is 514.

Here's an old AIH link to their regular ale strain.

Last edited:
My bad the first link is for their draught yeast I got excited finding it and missed that. The second talks about their ale yeast.

with HBT search, i'm surprised you found anything! i still have to wrestle it to even find music match!

but as far as my opinion so far, very clean, fruity at high fermentaion temps, floccs like lead. i just kegged this off the yeast cake a couple hours ago, already pouring clear..

i mean it's not BAD but the fruity, kinda makes it taste like some sorta, kinda, like, a mixed drink cocktail or something....

(and keep in mind everybody, take my tasting lightly, but my eyes still work! it floccs great!??)

i think they have a lager yeast too. i'll ferment my next batch at ~65f. see if it's still fruity. i get similarly fruit bombs with notty at these temps, so i'm not really dissapointed.

i'm not really a good brewer, but still like doing it?

i think they have a lager yeast too. i'll ferment my next batch at ~65f. see if it's still fruity. i get similarly fruit bombs with notty at these temps, so i'm not really dissapointed.

i'm not really a good brewer, but still like doing it?

I bet you will see it ferment pretty clean at that temp. Part of the fun of brewing is making it! It's a hell of a deal if it produces a decent brew.

I may try it in a few brews. Already have some US-05 waiting for my upcoming double IPA.

I bet you will see it ferment pretty clean at that temp.

it's clean tasting now! it just tastes like....barley strawberrys? with out the tartness....it's not a bad flavor, but not what i expect? lol :mug:

edit: if strawberry flavor ever gets cool, like banannas in wheat beer, i got it nailed! ;)

Latest posts

Back