Anyone try the Raspberry Basil Porter? This weeks AHA recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpride1911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make the AHA recipe of the week for the Raspberry Basil Porter aged with Palo Santo wood?

I made it this morning but pretty sure I jacked it up. I choked off the recirculation of the mash too much and didn't notice the flow stopped, cutting off flow to the thermocouples. The burners kicked on and then boiled the mash in a flash. Recipe builder said that the OG should be around 1.045, but the original recipe said it should be 1.061. My OG hit 1.060, my problem is that i don't know if that's all tannins or the raspberry concentrate raised the OG from around 1.040 to 1.060. Is there anyway to figure that out? I think it's tannins and it's ruined.

Original recipe: http://www.homebrewersassociation.o...aspberry-basil-porter-aged-on-palo-santo-wood

Nothing yet. It's still in secondary with the basil and wood soaking in it. I undershot the amount of water I needed to the point where I only have just under 4 gallons in secondary and a lot less wood than the recipe calls for. I spent about $10 for the wood on Amazon, but in reality I needed about $60 in wood for the pound or so that the recipe called for.

Right now all of my kegs are full, but 2 of them are almost empty. Once that happens I'll go ahead and keg it. Depending on how it turns out, I'll decide if it's worth the efforts to learn from my mistakes and adjust.

Just transferred to a keg. My house is really really cold right now, which makes carbonation difficult. I put the keg in my bedroom, so hopefully it will only take a few days.

It is done. It is carbonated. It is unique. My mash was a disaster, and I can taste it. The astringency is obvious.

As for the basil and palo santo. i'm not sure what's going on with that. It has a pronounced aroma, very distinct. But I can't place whether it's the basil or the sticks. I just sniffed the sticks and can't pick out any aroma and it's didn't match up with the basil. i added a full jar of the basil, .62 ounces. It might be too much.

The fruit is notable in the aroma when take a good inhale. The head was thick and full on the pour, but then virtually vanished a few minutes later. The first glass was just over 40 degrees when I poured it.

IMG_20130208_184244_167.jpg

Back