Anyone seen this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen mead settle out like that after several months (just honey and water) but that might be due to gravity/sugar choice. Is this a really big beer?

Since it is above the krausen ring, it looks like it sucked in at least half a gallon of Starsan from your blow-off vessel.

The "flakes" on the surface can be from a pellicle caused by a lacto infection, which may have occurred earlier.

Since it is above the krausen ring, it looks like it sucked in at least half a gallon of Starsan from your blow-off vessel.

The "flakes" on the surface can be from a pellicle caused by a lacto infection, which may have occurred earlier.

IslandLizard I think your spot on. I didn't even think about suck back. Geuss I need to use an airlock when cold crashing. Thanks for the feedback guys!! Cheers

IslandLizard I think your spot on. I didn't even think about suck back. Geuss I need to use an airlock when cold crashing. Thanks for the feedback guys!! Cheers

If you didn't use an airlock, what did you use?

Transporting needs some utter care so you don't mix the top layer into the beer underneath. You got some nice separation there you want to keep.

I would then very carefully rack that beer from deep underneath the clear liquid preventing it from mixing, and leave the last gallon or 2 gallons upon your judgment. Keep the racking cane just above the trub/yeast layer. I use one of those carboy caps, the cane stays in the middle, and at its set height. Having an extra set of hands comes in handy.

Then taste what you racked off. It may be fine or a bit sour, and then you'll need to decide what to do next.

Starsan won't kill you, but it doesn't make your beer better, so leave it out next time. :D

An airlock will suck empty too, unless you use a sparsely filled S-type. When cold crashing I now drape a small washcloth that was soaked in Starsan, but not dripping, over the top of the neck. Replace once a day or before it dries up. It's the best air filter I've come across.

Nice video, btw. Very informative!

Last edited:
re-rack it, and let it finish out for a good long time the more the better maybe it turns out to be a good sour. with sours always let them go for as much time as possible.

Transporting needs some utter care so you don't mix the top layer into the beer underneath. You got some nice separation there you want to keep.

I would then very carefully rack that beer from deep underneath the clear liquid preventing it from mixing, and leave the last gallon or 2 gallons upon your judgment. Keep the racking cane just above the trub/yeast layer. I use one of those carboy caps, the cane stays in the middle, and at its set height. Having an extra set of hands comes in handy.

Then taste what you racked off. It may be fine or a bit sour, and then you'll need to decide what to do next.

Starsan won't kill you, but it doesn't make your beer better, so leave it out next time. :D

An airlock will suck empty too, unless you use a sparsely filled S-type. When cold crashing I now drape a small washcloth that was soaked in Starsan, but not dripping, over the top of the neck. Replace once a day or before it dries up. It's the best air filter I've come across.

Nice video, btw. Very informative!

Haha, note to self don't add starsan to secondary.

Thanks for the airlock tip. I am going to try the washcloth thing on my next batch. As for this batch am going to play with it but I think it my be to far gone.

re-rack it, and let it finish out for a good long time the more the better maybe it turns out to be a good sour. with sours always let them go for as much time as possible.

Not a bad idea. I do have some gallon fermenters. I could try and get a gallon or two out and see what happens.

Haha, note to self don't add starsan to secondary.

Thanks for the airlock tip. I am going to try the washcloth thing on my next batch. As for this batch am going to play with it but I think it my be to far gone.

It doesn't replace an airlock for day to day operations, just for the couple days of cold crashing.

A piece of aluminum foil crimped around the opening can be used too, sprayed with Starsan of course. But it won't filter much of the incoming air, as the air inside contracts from the temp drop.

Back