Anyone see Leo Kottke 2011-2012 tour show?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
I just went to one just a few weeks ago, loved it except too short for me. Total time on stage I say 1hr 20 min. but I guess that is enough for a guy 65 and performing solo. I saw him about 20 years ago too, probably just as long. Not sure why I haven't gone to see him sooner. I guess life gets in the way. Going to see him this April too. Got our tickets already so we are in second row, can't wait.

Any other fans? For those who don't know him he started out as just a instrumentalist guitarist. 6-12 string acoustic, primarily solo. His documentary "Home and Away" is great. Funny guy, great story teller.

Some of his early stuff is almost country, which country I am not a fan of, but overall I love his guitar playing, his voice and his lyrics. Early on he tried to sing out of his range and it wasn't that good, once he settled into his normal deep voice he sounded great.

we saw him earlier this year - I agree, def too short of a show, esp since he likes to tell so many stories (which I def enjoyed ) such an amazing talent and musician

I'm still hoping for another tour with Mike Gordon

we saw him earlier this year - I agree, def too short of a show, esp since he likes to tell so many stories (which I def enjoyed ) such an amazing talent and musician

At least I know that is the norm and don't feel short changed. Where I saw him was an old movie theater. The dressing room must have be no more then 8x8. I bet he was out the back door before I got to the front. Had another show the next night in another state.

I can't see him touring much more, I mean he is in his mid 60's now. Sad we grow old.

Did he talk about trains much? Just wondering if he changes things up or pretty much sticks to a routine.

I have been listening to these 5 CDs for 15-20 years since the first time I saw him in Philly around Great Big Boy release.

My Father's Face
Shout Toward Noon
That's What
Guitar Music (great early on guitar work here)
Great Big Boy (great songs, great words)

I just recently purchased every other album he has (over 20?) except for the "best of" type and the with Mike Gordon ones. I guess I like him best alone? My fiancee loves "Pepe Hush", not a showcase of his guitar but a very amusing song.

I just recently heard his version of the Buddy Holly song "Learning the Game" on Balance and it puts all others to shame. So beautiful I almost cry. :eek:

I guess I need to check out the Mike Gordon stuff now.

His "Live in Europe" album is great musically but strange. It is a live album but the producer cut out any talk at all (if any, all I heard was a thank you) and the applause was almost cut out altogether like both were a nuisance.

PS: I love the story for "combat" and the one about his Dad's skill to sleep and him waking up thinking it was morning and seeing it getting dark and thinking the world was coming to an end.

I'm a big fan, only discovered him for myself relatively recently, very impressive work on the 12 string.
I don't expect to get a chance to ever see him live.

I'm a big fan, only discovered him for myself relatively recently, very impressive work on the 12 string.
I don't expect to get a chance to ever see him live.

He has toured Europe at least once and Australia several times, maybe you will, go if you can you will enjoy it.

One question, did he play "Tilt Billings and The Student Prince"?

Yes...but not anywhere his best in my opinion. His singing is kind of off, words kind of forced to fit, rambling and has a bit of that country tang I was talking about I don't like. Not enjoyable to me. Way way much better stuff than that song.

I have to admit, some of his stuff makes me cringe.

Shameless bump...hey, going to bed now. Working graveyard shift gets lonely so I am hoping I get some feedback when I log back in tonight. :mug:

used to listen to him in the mid to late '70s

catch a few on the jazz station on XM, but haven't pursued him as one of my go-to fave artists in 30 years.

used to listen to him in the mid to late '70s

catch a few on the jazz station on XM, but haven't pursued him as one of my go-to fave artists in 30 years.

I understand that. I can't believe some of the artists and bands I used to like but can't understand now how I did. For example, I used to think Forigner was a cool band, today can't believe I bought their albums.

I also understand you can't make someone like what you do unless they just do. But you can introduce them to someone. Like here, a friend asked if I wanted to go to a concert with him to see some guitar player......Leo Kottke.

I also am amased at some of the stuff other people think is good or enjoy, I don't get it either.

I have a friend who plays and is learning to play acoustic guitar. When I asked if he wanted to go he said no, not into his guitar style. But I watch him learning (struggling) to play the exact same music style...puzzling, but I guess he sees something I don't.

We just all have different tastes

I saw him a few years ago in Hilo, Hawaii. Amazing. I'm a big John Fahey fan, but Leo Kottke is great as well. Seeing him live brought a whole new dimension to the recordings I have. He is a great storyteller, spellbinding guitarist.

Latest posts

Back