Anyone know what this corny was used for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RealFloopyGuy

Reaction score
I bought this for $20. Anyone know what it was modded for. The hose in the middle has a metal stopper at then end with no opening.

20150201_153200.jpg

20150201_153151.jpg

That is a carbonation lid. When you keg the beer you connect the co2 to that middle post and the metal stopper has little holes that help the co2 diffuse info the beer faster. I have never used one

Yup. Exactly what Yater said. It's a carbonation lid, used for speeding up the force carbonation process. Hook the gas to the post on the lid until the beer achieves the carbonation you want, then you can switch it over to the normal gas post. I've personally never used one but if it came with the keg you bought for only 20 bucks you got a hell of a deal. The lid alone isn't cheap.

(If you decide you don't like the carbonation lid, PM me and I'll either purchase it from you or maybe a trade for a regular lid)

I thought it might be. I looked them up a few minutes ago because I vaguely remembered having something similar for co2 in a fish tank. I'm excited. It means it was used for beer or soda. It is clean inside and the gaskets look new.

Do they work well?

I haven't used one myself but I've heard that the trick to using them is to start with a very low PSI, say 2 or 3 for example. Then every hour or two, raise the pressure 1 PSI until you reach your target. Using this method you can be fully carbed in a day or so. Again, I haven't used one so I don't have any hard evidence to support this but it makes sense in theory

I spent a little time reading about it last night. It seems like the benefits over just shaking/rolling the keg while hooked to gas would be you don't have to pick up a 50lb keg and shake it or roll it around. I thought it might not disturb the sediment at the bottom but all those bubbles and the length of the hose really say otherwise. While the negative aspect would be cleaning it. I assume that I would just hook one of my other kegs with sanitizer in it to the center post and force sanitizer down through it or relieve pressure through it while the keg was full of sanitizer. I don't have anything on deck at the moment but maybe this will give me a little nudge towards brewing the 4 beers that I have supplies for.:)

You got a great deal.The lid alone can go for $60.

Carbonating Keg Lid

Quick instructions from that link...

How to use this product:

Beer must be stored cold 34–40°F

1. Preboil the stone for 2–3 minutes before using. This assures you that your stone is sterile and any residual oils have been boiled off.

2. Sanitize the whole keg lid before submersing into your keg filled with beer.

3. Set your PSI on your regulator to 3–4psi and attach your gas in fitting to the body connect on the lid. Leave keg at this pressure for 1 hour.

4. Raise your pressure 2PSI per hour until you reach 10–12psi. Leave it at 10–12psi for 24 hours. Pour a pint and test the carbonation. If you think your beer needs more CO2 leave for another 4–6 hours and have another pint.

5. Remove carbonation lid after carbonation level is satisfactory. Return original keg lid for long term storage.

:mug:

Back