Anyone know of a place selling 2-3 gallon mash tuns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
If been BIAB brewing for a bit now and only do 1.5 gallon batches. I've had no problems with my beers but i wanted to do a traditional all grain batch to compare. I have a 5 and 10 gallon mash tun from years ago but I wanted to get something smaller that would make sense for such a small batch. I've seen the instructions on how to build them, and while it seems straightforward, if there's a prebuilt one I can find I would rather that. That's the last piece of equipment I need at the moment so I'd be grateful for some info. Thanks!

Check Amazon and WalMart. I've seen 3 gallon round coolers both places.

Thanks. As I mentioned though, I meant a prebuilt one. I can find coolers but I was hoping to pick one up at a homebrew place that's already made. I know it's not hard but I'd rather not build it

Thanks. As I mentioned though, I meant a prebuilt one. I can find coolers but I was hoping to pick one up at a homebrew place that's already made. I know it's not hard but I'd rather not build it

Where do you live? I'll make you one! (Shipping might blow the cost.)

If you have a 5 or 10 gallon that you don't use, just go spend the $20 on a 2 gallon cooler at Walmart, remove the ear from an old mash tun and put it on the new one. You might have to cut the strainer tube or roll it up.

Making a new one would run about $50-60 in parts.

By traditional, you mean using continuous or batch sparging? With a 1.5 gal batch size it will really be no different than BIAB, there just isn't enough grain bed to make a difference from what you are already doing.

I would go with a 5 gallon Rubbermaid from homedepot and a brew bag. batch sparge. there isn't a benefit to going smaller.

I am a BIAB brewer now. I use a picnic/water cooler. Just do a normal mash except use a bag. When the mash is done I list the bag out onto a strainer over the boil pot and then simply dump the wort in the cooler into the pot as well. No hoses, no connections, no nothing.

A 5 gallon cooler with 3 lbs of grain will lose temp faster than a smaller cooler.

The difference in a mash tun like this and BIAB is not turning the heat on during the mash.

I have a 2 gal cooler with a toilet braid manifold I use occasional for small batches. I think you could just put one of those folding steamer baskets in the bottom with a paint strainer bag and just drain using the plastic spigot by tipping sideways.

I see stainless steel distillation stills on amazon which parts could easily be converted to a mash tun and stainless fermentor.

Just use your 5 gallon cooler/mash tun you already have; Put the BIAB bag in there and lay a piece of foil on the top of the mash. It will work fine.

Back