Anyone have leftover Rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilmeimirish

Reaction score
I'm trying to start some hops for next year, even though we are well into summer here in sunny Long Beach, CA.

Does anyone have any rhizomes locally that I can pick up or pay for shipping? I know it's late, but I'd like to get any experience starting hops up in my garden that I can before next year, so that I get it right when it's time.

Thanks for any help!

~Mike

I'd just wait til next march and order from freshops. It's gonna be a lot of stress on them going in the ground in this weather.

I planted some in mid-summer a couple of years ago. I put them in 5 gallon buckets, but they might as well have gone into the ground. They did okay, except the ones that I brought inside and tried to keep growing under grow lights during the winter. Even then, they died from drowning. I was giving them too much attention. The ones I left outside did okay through our winter, which is a bit different from yours, I understand. I'd like to think they did better for the late season head start on next year. Realistically, there is enough variation between my plants that I can't see much difference between the ones that got that extra half a growing seasons and the ones that did not. In my experience you neither gain nor lose much by planting now.

I planted some in mid-summer a couple of years ago. I put them in 5 gallon buckets, but they might as well have gone into the ground. They did okay, except the ones that I brought inside and tried to keep growing under grow lights during the winter. Even then, they died from drowning. I was giving them too much attention. The ones I left outside did okay through our winter, which is a bit different from yours, I understand. I'd like to think they did better for the late season head start on next year. Realistically, there is enough variation between my plants that I can't see much difference between the ones that got that extra half a growing seasons and the ones that did not. In my experience you neither gain nor lose much by planting now.

Thanks, that's solid advice. Long Beach is considerably different, though. I can over winter some hot pepper varieties that I know for a fact can't be overwintered nearly anywhere else in the states.

Back