Anyone have a recipe for Lush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl1783

Reaction score
Looking for input on a recipe or how to dupe Lush IPA by Fremont. Very good IPA that I’ve only been able to find on tap a handful of places. Anyone who’s had this before will know how great it is.

I’m still a nub brewer so I would need it to be partial grain at the most. Not setup for AG yet.

Per their website:

Down & Dirty: 2-Row Pale and Honey malts with Citra® and Mosaic® hops and Citra® Lupulin Powder.
ABV: 7.0% IBU: 80
Color: Bright orange
Aroma: Melon, tropical, citrus, spice
Flavor: Juicy, tropical, citrus, pepper

https://www.fremontbrewing.com/lush/

Mocked this up on Brewer's Friend. I've never done a recipe before so any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Lush Clone
Author: Carl1783

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.132
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.079
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 7.6%
IBU (tinseth): 82.29
SRM (morey): 5.94

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Extra Light (57.1%)
4 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (38.1%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.5 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (4.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 17.6
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 4.53
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.98
1 oz - Citra LupuLN2, Type: Lupulin Pellet, AA: 25, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 200 °F, IBU: 37.45
1 oz - Mosaic, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Whirlpool for 10 min at 200 °F, IBU: 18.73
2 oz - citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

YEAST:
Wyeast - London Ale III 1318
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/590643/lush-clone

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2018-01-10 16:02 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2018-01-10 00:43 UTC

Last edited:
I think your FG is too high. I took a gravity reading of it about two months ago, and have since lost my notes on it, but it was below 1.015 if I remember. I seem to recall it being fairly dry tasting, with a lot of honey malt flavor. Citra and Mosaic were of course in your face as well. I did play around in Brewers Friend and made a recipe I would try if I wanted to start somewhere. This is what I saved.

5.5 gal batch
OG 1.065
FG 1.011
75% efficiency
7.1% ABV
81.5 IBU

11 lbs 2 row
1 lb honey malt
.5 lb corn sugar (late addition)

Mash @ 152

.5 oz citra or mosaic 60 min
1 oz each citra/mosaic 10 min
1 oz each citra/mosaic flameout/whirlpool/steep for 10-15 minutes
dryhop 1.5 oz each citra mosaic last 3 days in primary. More or less to your taste

I'm no yeast guru, but the description seems like it would be a good candidate. Let us know how it turns out!

I think your FG is too high. I took a gravity reading of it about two months ago, and have since lost my notes on it, but it was below 1.015 if I remember. I seem to recall it being fairly dry tasting, with a lot of honey malt flavor. Citra and Mosaic were of course in your face as well. I did play around in Brewers Friend and made a recipe I would try if I wanted to start somewhere. This is what I saved.

5.5 gal batch
OG 1.065
FG 1.011
75% efficiency
7.1% ABV
81.5 IBU

11 lbs 2 row
1 lb honey malt
.5 lb corn sugar (late addition)

Mash @ 152

.5 oz citra or mosaic 60 min
1 oz each citra/mosaic 10 min
1 oz each citra/mosaic flameout/whirlpool/steep for 10-15 minutes
dryhop 1.5 oz each citra mosaic last 3 days in primary. More or less to your taste

1.079 to 1.021 is 72% attenuation, which is in line with London Ale III.

1.079 to 1.021 is 72% attenuation, which is in line with London Ale III.

Be that as it may, I recall taking a FG measurement of Lush and getting in the sub 1.015 range

I see I didn't list yeast for the recipe. I'd use US-05, 1056, or any other clean American ale yeast. I might have to brew this one in the next month or so too.

Be that as it may, I recall taking a FG measurement of Lush and getting in the sub 1.015 range

I see I didn't list yeast for the recipe. I'd use US-05, 1056, or any other clean American ale yeast. I might have to brew this one in the next month or so too.

The OP listed 1318 as the yeast he used.

How about this- OP, I think you should use a different yeast, as your FG is too high to be a clone.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe I'll have to make my recipe in a couple weeks and report back. Don't hold your breath though.

Any updates, folks? Just had this draft vs. canned and what a difference. Both good but the draft version was very tasty.

I have been making light summer beers, so I have had this on the back burner. Maybe I'll get off my ass and give her a go for the next one.

Ok. Since no one (including myself) is stepping to the plate, I'm going to let er rip. I use Summit for bittering because I've got a shitload of it. I don't feel like wasting the Citra and Mosaic flavor by boiling it for an hour.

I now get 85% efficiency, so adjust according depending on what numbers you want to hit

11 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs honey malt

1.066 OG @ 85% efficency

Mash @ 154 for 60 min

.25 oz Summit FWH
1.5 oz each Citra/Mosaic 10 min
1.5 oz each Citra Mosaic flameout/steep for 15 min

US-05 Yeast, Estimated FG 1.013

Dry Hop 1.5 oz each Citra/Mosaic

Should be ballpark 70-75 IBUs

Picking up grain after work, Brewing tomorrow.

Eager to hear how this turns out. I am on a bit of a construction brewing hiatus so I have not been able to make any moves. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ok. Since no one (including myself) is stepping to the plate, I'm going to let er rip. I use Summit for bittering because I've got a poopyload of it. I don't feel like wasting the Citra and Mosaic flavor by boiling it for an hour.

I now get 85% efficiency, so adjust according depending on what numbers you want to hit

11 lbs 2-row
.5 lbs honey malt

1.066 OG @ 85% efficency

Mash @ 154 for 60 min

.25 oz Summit FWH
1.5 oz each Citra/Mosaic 10 min
1.5 oz each Citra Mosaic flameout/steep for 15 min

US-05 Yeast, Estimated FG 1.013

Dry Hop 1.5 oz each Citra/Mosaic

Should be ballpark 70-75 IBUs

Picking up grain after work, Brewing tomorrow.
I only had lush once. It was good for sure. Some people at my lq really love it. Imo this recipe seems closer than the above recipes.

I had Lush again over the weekend. This time was from a keg rather than out of a can. Much better when it doesn't sit in the can IMO.

I was more focused on BS'ing with an old friend to pay too much attention to clarity and the subtle flavors, but my now sober mind is remembering a little haze, so I'm not going to actively pursue a bright beer. Honey flavor was less than I remembered, which is why I dropped it to .5 lbs.

Probably be ready to drink around the 18th/19th I'm thinking.

I will be doing a version of my own with same grain bill. I am very tempted to try maris otter in place of/in addition to 2 row (perhaps a future version).

Somehow I tend to be sensitive to Simcoe in that too much of it then I’ll pick up the onion notes so I’m just limiting them to 60 min or FWH. Also will use cryo hops (citra and mosaic) for whirlpool and dry hop.

The only thing holding me back is that I’ve just been waiting for an electrician to install my 50amp plug. I replaced my equipment and switched to electric.

Fortunately they are here today!

I had Lush again over the weekend. This time was from a keg rather than out of a can. Much better when it doesn't sit in the can IMO.

I was more focused on BS'ing with an old friend to pay too much attention to clarity and the subtle flavors, but my now sober mind is remembering a little haze, so I'm not going to actively pursue a bright beer. Honey flavor was less than I remembered, which is why I dropped it to .5 lbs.

Probably be ready to drink around the 18th/19th I'm thinking.
PLEASE let us know how it turns out. I am obsessed with Lush IPA. I haven't found any other threads on trying to clone it.

It's been fermenting one week. My temp chamber smells amazing. I'll open it up to dry hop this saturday, and keg next wednesday or thursday.

If this turns out great, you guys will have a hell of a time recreating it. I lost the siphon at the compression fitting on my BK pickup tube after chilling the wort, and it clogged with Irish moss. To top that off, my spray bottle of star san went tits up on me, so it was a Murphy's Law of shenanigans to get the dang thing ready for yeast.

It's been fermenting one week. My temp chamber smells amazing. I'll open it up to dry hop this saturday, and keg next wednesday or thursday.

If this turns out great, you guys will have a hell of a time recreating it. I lost the siphon at the compression fitting on my BK pickup tube after chilling the wort, and it clogged with Irish moss. To top that off, my spray bottle of star san went tits up on me, so it was a Murphy's Law of shenanigans to get the dang thing ready for yeast.
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to hearing how it came out.

Dry hopped first thing this morning. Smells great. I also dropped my temp control from 65 to 60. I’ll drop it to 55 Wednesday morning, 50 Wednesday night, and 45 Thursday morning. Keg Thursday night. My limited anecdotal evidence makes me not want to have an aggressive cold crash on a hoppy beer. Only a few more days!

Dry hopped first thing this morning. Smells great. I also dropped my temp control from 65 to 60. I’ll drop it to 55 Wednesday morning, 50 Wednesday night, and 45 Thursday morning. Keg Thursday night. My limited anecdotal evidence makes me not want to have an aggressive cold crash on a hoppy beer. Only a few more days!
Thanks for keeping us updated. Interesting thought on the cold crash.

Thanks for keeping us updated. Interesting thought on the cold crash.
It's my unverified and untested thoughts on striking a balance between getting as much yeast to drop out, and not stripping away the delicious hops. Hell, I could be doing it backwards. It works well enough for me.

On another note, taking the lid off to dump in the dry hops smelled amazing. I have a lingering feeling that I didn't use enough hops, but it should be tasty nonetheless.

It's my unverified and untested thoughts on striking a balance between getting as much yeast to drop out, and not stripping away the delicious hops. Hell, I could be doing it backwards. It works well enough for me.

On another note, taking the lid off to dump in the dry hops smelled amazing. I have a lingering feeling that I didn't use enough hops, but it should be tasty nonetheless.
I've tried the (also unverified) approach of crashing, then coming back up to 65F and dry-hopping then. Can't say I could tell the difference.

Well she is kegged. Certainly strong with citra and mosaic, but the honey malt isn’t showing through as much as thought it should. Granted, CO2 levels aren’t correct yet, I accidentally stirred up a couple chunks of yeast while transferring, and I don’t have a Lush to compare it to. I’ll find some this weekend and compare.

It’s a damn tasty beer though

Well she is kegged. Certainly strong with citra and mosaic, but the honey malt isn’t showing through as much as thought it should. Granted, CO2 levels aren’t correct yet, I accidentally stirred up a couple chunks of yeast while transferring, and I don’t have a Lush to compare it to. I’ll find some this weekend and compare.

It’s a damn tasty beer though
Thanks for the pioneering effort and for sharing your results. Do you think you’d double the honey malt back to a full pound as in the first recipe you posted?

Glad you can get Lush there. There was only one place in my area (Trader Joe’s) that had it for awhile, but now nothing.

Do you think you’d double the honey malt back to a full pound as in the first recipe you posted?

Carbonation always changes the flavor profile (to my palate), so I will have to test again tonight. I got it close to carbed last night with the good old shake it at high psi method, but sitting will do it good.

Just based off memory, I would say there isn't enough honey, and the boil hops/dry hops ratio needs tweaked. You certainly notice the dry hopping. Granted, fresh beer vs sits in a keg/can for a while. I'll stop rambling and wait to compare the two.

Carbonation always changes the flavor profile (to my palate), so I will have to test again tonight. I got it close to carbed last night with the good old shake it at high psi method, but sitting will do it good.

Just based off memory, I would say there isn't enough honey, and the boil hops/dry hops ratio needs tweaked. You certainly notice the dry hopping. Granted, fresh beer vs sits in a keg/can for a while. I'll stop rambling and wait to compare the two.
After tasting and comparison to your satisfaction, I'd love to see how you would revise the recipe.

Ok. Having them side by side right now. I’d bump the honey malt to .75 or 1 lb. Since I’m comparing to Lush in a can, id say leave the hops the same, and it seems to be more hoppy from a keg. The extra honey malt should help the colors match, as well as a bit more clarifying. All in all, it’s damn tasty. No crystal malt to screw up the hops

Awesome. Once again, thank you for all of the info. I won’t be able to brew until Sept 8th. Will report back to you after taste-testing.

N6lyULW.jpg

Mine on left. As the haze settles, it should darken up slightly, but I don't think the exact color match is currently there. Again, bumping up the honey malt should get you there.

I had two others taste them side by side as well, and we all agreed on needing more honey to match, however we all thought the lesser honey flavor was better.

You know you live in Seattle when Costco has Lush in stock.

Ok folks, I figure it’s my turn.

@Bowen1911 are you in Redmond Washington? If so then our water is pretty similar. What did you do water treatment wise if any?

I happen to have citra cryo hops which I’ll use in whirlpool and secondary. May be overkill but why let it go to waste. Will do a full pound of honey malt as well. And yeast will be wyeast British ale 1098.

Edit: downside to electric system ... POWER OUTAGE!
At first I thought my new system was to blame but was relieved when everyone in 5 blocks are affected. Good thing I just finished the sparging! If this turns out fine I’m calling this version Power Outtage IPA.

Last edited:
I finally brewed mine this weekend. 16.5 gallons now fermenting. Was a little high on the OG at 1.069. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

Back