Anyone have a good Black IPA preferably All Citra recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rage323machine

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post here, hopefully I'm doing this right. Looking to make an all Citra Black IPA here. 5 gallon all grain. Anything helps, thanks.

Heres my idea:

45% Marris Otter
45% US 2 row
5% German Carafa III Special
5% CaraRed

Maybe some citra at 30, 10, 5, 0 and dry hop?

I'm a beginner so keep that in mind. Good luck!

Personally don't think Citra's tropical fruit goes well with roasted grains even if they are a small part of the beers character from using a dehusked caramel malt.

I haven't tried it, but, in theory, I think you could take any ipa recipe and turn it into a black ipa. If it were me, I would find a zombie dust clone, and then color it darker.

To do that, my preference would be some midnight wheat. You could also just add some black or chocolate malt during the last 15 minutes of the mash or you could mash in some debittered black or chocolate malt. Both of those would give you a little roast character. You could use sinimar or make some poor man's sinimar by crushing some black malt to a powder and adding in small amounts (I haven't tried it, but I see it recommended over and over). Finally, I have heard carafa III adds a lot of color with very little roast quality, and you can go that route. If you want a more pronounced roasted quality, you should look around and make sure your hop choices will work with it (as JustLooking suggests)

How about this:

9# 2-row
2.5# Munich
1# Debittered Black Malt (I use Blackprinze)
1 tube of HopShot @ 60 (from Northern Brewer - love this stuff!)
1.5 oz. Citra @ 15
3 oz. Citra @ flameout
4 oz. Citra Dry Hop
US05/WLP001/similar

Check out the Darth Vader IPA here on hbt. Sub citra and voila. I brewed this one upping rhe dark roasts and it was really great.

I haven't tried it, but, in theory, I think you could take any ipa recipe and turn it into a black ipa. If it were me, I would find a zombie dust clone, and then color it darker.

To do that, my preference would be some midnight wheat. You could also just add some black or chocolate malt during the last 15 minutes of the mash or you could mash in some debittered black or chocolate malt. Both of those would give you a little roast character. You could use sinimar or make some poor man's sinimar by crushing some black malt to a powder and adding in small amounts (I haven't tried it, but I see it recommended over and over). Finally, I have heard carafa III adds a lot of color with very little roast quality, and you can go that route. If you want a more pronounced roasted quality, you should look around and make sure your hop choices will work with it (as JustLooking suggests)

+1 on the midnight wheat. I've used it in a few different black IPA recipes and have enjoyed the results. Here is the grain bill from my last one that I got pretty good feedback on.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.7 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.3 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
8.0 oz Midnight Wheat (425.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.7 %
10.0 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5 4.6 %

+1 on the midnight wheat. I've used it in a few different black IPA recipes and have enjoyed the results. Here is the grain bill from my last one that I got pretty good feedback on.

I'm going to put my money where my mouth is and turn the ipa I'm brewing in August black using a pound of midnight wheat. Then it won't be a theory anymore.:mug:

Google the Wookey Jack clone on this site. Citra works amazing in a black ipa. I'd run with that

This is basically what i just brewed 2 weekends ago except i used carafa III instead of the midnight wheat.

Summit - 1.0 oz - 60 min
Chinook - 0.5 oz - FWH
Centennial - 0.5 oz - 20 min
Centennial - 0.5 oz - 10 min
Cascade - 0.5 oz - 5 min
Centennial - 1.0 oz - 0 min
Cascade - 1.0 oz - dry hop 7 days

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Guys this is great, I appreciate the tidbits! Anyone in the seattle are want to try some. I'll jot down the grain bill once formulated! Thanks a ton.

Back