Anyone have a Fermentasaurus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only wort i have not transferred to the keg is what is left in the collection bottle pretty much. That is because i do not transfer until almost all the yeast and trub has been removed from the bottom.

Sounds like you may have had some yeast stuck ? are you fermenting with the valve open ?

First pics of Fermentasaurus 2, 27L version:

fermentasaurus_dump_valve_1.jpg

27litre_sml.jpg

top_1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Looks like the valve was widened significantly, which is a big improvement over the old design. Also the slightly smaller size is better for those of us that stick to 5-6G batches....will fit better in a fridge. The stand looks sturdier, not that the old one wasn't, but curious why the handles were moved to the top, as opposed to keeping them on the stand. They actually work really well where they are now...

-Mark

Yes the handles on the neck is a bit of a concern for me, as I have to carry mine about 20 metres from my house where I brew, to my shed where my fridges are. I need to carry both fermenter and stand at the same time, else I will need two stands....but I'm sure I'll work it out, maybe use a strap of some sort. Other than that, I can't wait.

Oxebar emailed me and said end of year in Australia and early 2019 in UK, so I suspect same sort of time for US.

It would be nice if Santa has access to them come December. Is there a spec sheet available? Height was too tall on the first generation for my fridge so I cut the bottom of the stand and have juuuuuusssssttttt enough room to get q.d. connections on top and room to unscrew the collection bottle.

I too think the handles on the stand made more sense, not sure how to load fermenter into stand when the stand is in the fridge. I'm sure I will make it work though.

I've been real happy with the robobrew v3 to fermentasaurus set up. I brew 8 gallons, ferment and carbonate in the fermentasaurus, and sample out of a picnic tap until under 5 gallons then do a closed transfer to a corny keg. I've built up a nice yeast bank via several spare collection bottles.

Attachments

• 20180903_103324.jpg
    20180903_103324.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 566
Last edited:
I noticed that Kegland is now listing the generation 2 on their website, but it says they are out of stock. Here is a video that they posted about it. They also have a larger version too.

-Mark

Has anyone heard anything about the new "FermZilla"? They were advertising it last year, released the above videos etc. but it's completely disappeared from their website even though MoreBeer is listing it as coming soon. I'd really like to get one or two but I'm getting a bit worried about the company

I recently got a fermentasaurus for cheap and I have some questions about bottling directly from the fermentasaurus that I can't find any good information about.

1. Can you get fully carbed beer from it and then bottlefrom it? I have a spunding valve and sodastream gas with all the adapters as well as the ekstra fermentasaurus pressurelid with the ballconnects and the floating ball. I'm looking into a counter pressure bottle filler. And before you say use kegs, I don't have the gear or space :)

2. If so, how much do I set the spunding valve on for a well carbed ale.

3. Is it very important the get all of the yeast/trub out before bottling.

4. How much should I set the sodastream gas on to get a good flow?

5. Any additional tips before attempting this and ruining my beer?

Please help. I've been searching for days

I recently got a fermentasaurus for cheap and I have some questions about bottling directly from the fermentasaurus that I can't find any good information about.

1. Can you get fully carbed beer from it and then bottlefrom it? I have a spunding valve and sodastream gas with all the adapters as well as the ekstra fermentasaurus pressurelid with the ballconnects and the floating ball. I'm looking into a counter pressure bottle filler. And before you say use kegs, I don't have the gear or space :)

No one?

No one?

Yes. Once fermentation is complete, dump the settlement, then put in in the fridge and hook it up like a keg.

You can’t bottle from it using the bottle adapter that comes with it, but you could use a beer gun or similar counterpressure filler.

-Mark

Yes. Once fermentation is complete, dump the settlement, then put in in the fridge and hook it up like a keg.

You can’t bottle from it using the bottle adapter that comes with it, but you could use a beer gun or similar counterpressure filler.

-Mark
Thanks. I think I'll be going for a beer gun. How about dryhopping? I've seen some vids that show it's really bad trough the bottle. Any tips?

Can anyone comment on the durability of the PET plastic? I’m considering the new fermzilla, but my main concern is the plastic.

How does it feel? Is it really thin? Does it scratch easily? Does it ding?

I've been using my 35L Fermentasaurus for ~15 months and am very pleased with its durability. The plastic is very scratch-resistant; I'm not aware that I have any scratches on the inside or outside of mine, including where it sits on the metal stand. And I treat mine pretty roughly. I pick it up and turn it over to rouse the dry hops and squeeze the collection bottle to get the hops out (both initially and after they settle). Either no or negligible dings in the fermenter, but quite a few in the collection bottle, though it's still intact. The plastic is pretty thin, except at the cone where it is built up, but it is very strong (and extremely lightweight, which is important since the beer is damn heavy). I'm not sure if the smaller new fermzilla is the same or thicker.

I've been using my 35L Fermentasaurus for ~15 months and am very pleased with its durability. The plastic is very scratch-resistant; I'm not aware that I have any scratches on the inside or outside of mine, including where it sits on the metal stand. And I treat mine pretty roughly. I pick it up and turn it over to rouse the dry hops and squeeze the collection bottle to get the hops out (both initially and after they settle). Either no or negligible dings in the fermenter, but quite a few in the collection bottle, though it's still intact. The plastic is pretty thin, except at the cone where it is built up, but it is very strong (and extremely lightweight, which is important since the beer is damn heavy). I'm not sure if the smaller new fermzilla is the same or thicker.

Thank you for your insight! Any troubles with cold crashing? I’m not sure how others are doing it, but I imagine with the new fermzilla, I could just connect some co2 on low psi while cold crashing to avoid any oxygen ingress.

Agree about the durability of the plastic. It's fine. PET doesn't like too much heat, mine got slightly warped when I accidentally left the heat belt going with the thing empty. Don't do that.
In terms of cold crashing, very easy. If you have the pressure kit then connect your gas at 12 psi and finish carbonating while it cold crashes with zero oxygen suckback. It does really help if you put clean wort into the fermentor, this means less bottle changes later and much cleaner yeast to harvest.

I had the Fermentasaurus and now the Fermzilla. They are both pretty thin and will ding if you are not careful, but this will not affect it's performance. My Fermentasaurus did scratch but I was being careless with a carboy brush. The Fermzilla is MUCH easier to clean as you can get your whole arm in there. The new version is 100% better design than the new one....so far I love it!

-Mark

Thank you guys so much for the input! I just ordered the fermzilla along with the pressure kit from morebeer. Can’t wait!!

Latest posts

Back