Where to get 1.5 inch butterfly valve disk replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncB

Reaction score
The butterfly metal valves have degraded in two of my Gen 1 fermentasaurus. I think they were made of metal with chrome plate and didn't like PBW.
Rest of the " unique " butterfly valve is okay so ideally just want to change this, I can't fit a new butterfly valve onto the threaded connector that exists.
Ideally mail order Aliexpress etc as I'm in New Zealand.
Thanks

If any parts are deteriorating like that, suggest you buy a new valve, preferably all stainless, and from a reputable supplier.

I guess I'll go on to say I'd suspect any rig sold with chrome plated rather than stainless steel fittings. Supplier cutting corners from the get go.

A digression:

I really liked New Zed when I was there around 30 years ago. Spent most of time away from cities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall most rural pubs had a choice between DB & Lion brew. They tasted about the same, slightly different color, only about 4% ABV, and owned by the same company, at least they shared same bottling facility if I recall. Nice heavy brown returnable bottles, I think .75 liter.

If any parts are deteriorating like that, suggest you buy a new valve, preferably all stainless, and from a reputable supplier.

I guess I'll go on to say I'd suspect any rig sold with chrome plated rather than stainless steel fittings. Supplier cutting corners from the get go.

A digression:

I really liked New Zed when I was there around 30 years ago. Spent most of time away from cities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall most rural pubs had a choice between DB & Lion brew. They tasted about the same, slightly different color, only about 4% ABV, and owned by the same company, at least they shared same bottling facility if I recall. Nice heavy brown returnable bottles, I think .75 liter.
Agree the disk in the gen 1 of inadequate quality. Unless I can find a way to fit a butterfly valve new one onto an unknown female thread I'm a bit stuck.
I moved to NZ from UK, believe you are right beer here was very limited for a long time. The beer lion, dB and Waikato draught all the same just different colours. Still the same bottles good for homebrew and they come in a nice wooden crate.
You'd have felt like you were stepping back in time 30 years ago I reckon.

If you can't find the part you need, it would be worth it to figure out what type of thread you have. Then it should be relatively easy to buy or make an adapter to use a better valve. Admittedly am not familiar with fermentasauraus, but is this what you need? The second link is in AU.

https://www.altitudebrew.com/products/fermentasaurus-replacement-butterfly-dump-valve-assembly
https://www.kegking.com.au/fermentasaurus-butterfly-dump-valve-assembly.html.html
Thank you Australian supplier is reasonably accessible, trouble is I 'm not sure if this is the same shoddy disk again. I can get a " water damaged" packaging Gen 1 for 60 dollars, but they are the ones that seem to be chrome plated. I'll enquire with keg king, their communication skills are very poor though and often requires a seance to get an answer!

I don't know what your valve connection is to your FV, but you might look at this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...-dreaded-collection-jar.729194/#post-10302279
As I stated in that post I ordered the stuff I needed from AliExpress. The SS butterfly valve was only $12 - $14 , IIRC. And all the SS stuff I ordered was very nice finish and quality.
Yes I'd seen your thread and read it, I've got to do a bit of working out to see whether I can fit that adapter onto the bottom of my fermentasaurus. I'll have to compare the cone angles. I'd rather fit a butterfly valve onto a 2inch TC would be easier to drop yeast. This would be a last resort.

The valve screws onto the connection to the fermenter so it's a bit atypical.

The valve screws onto the connection to the fermenter so it's a bit atypical.
I found adapters that went from pipe thread to sanitary fitting, in all sizes for both ends. And there were also the same for straight threaded connections both ansi and metric as well as male and female threaded.

Takes some searching though. But many that sold SS sanitary fittings for brewing had them. The bigger issue is finding the sellers that provided a good enough description to know what sizes and thread pitch was actually on the adapter chosen.

Back