Anyone haerd of these new Yeasts from Mangrove Jack's (New Zealand)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked - it went from 1.085 down to 1.011... in 3 days... it's got one hell of an alcoholic bite right now, but of course thats because it's only been 3 days. So i'll take another sample in 2 weeks when i dry hop.. so far it seems promising!

Just checked - it went from 1.085 down to 1.011... in 3 days... it's got one hell of an alcoholic bite right now, but of course thats because it's only been 3 days. So i'll take another sample in 2 weeks when i dry hop.. so far it seems promising!

This is with the Workhorse yeast? What temp did you ferment it at? Mine stalled out at 1.020 after three days, krausen dropped. Fermented at around 77F. Aerated with pure O2 for around a minute, rehyrdrated...no reason other than high ferm temp that it stalled out.

I kegged my English Mild I brewed with the Mangrove Newcastle Dark Ale Yeast. It turned out well with a nice malty fruity flavor. I would happily use it again.

This is with the Workhorse yeast? What temp did you ferment it at? Mine stalled out at 1.020 after three days, krausen dropped. Fermented at around 77F. Aerated with pure O2 for around a minute, rehyrdrated...no reason other than high ferm temp that it stalled out.

Yup! with the workhorse.
Fermented at about 80-82* - not sure why yours stalled so high? what did you mash at? what was the recipe? i used 7lb golden promise and 7lbs 2row with 2lb corn sugar and got it at 150* for 4 hours (had a prenatal appointment with the wife so i had to let it rest for forever)

I took a gravity reading/sample of the IPA I brewed Saturday evening fermented with the Workhorse yeast. And I was surprised it didn't taste very off. Of course it's only been 3 days in the fermenter so it's hard to tell. But it stalled out at around 1.020. The krausen has dropped and the fermentation took 24 hours at 78F. Ambient temp was probably around 75F in my closet, but the temp strip on the carboy read anywhere between 76-78 maybe even 80. It was the most active fermentation I've ever seen and the shortest one I've experienced.
But the sample tasted alright, surprisingly...so maybe there's hope after all. Disappointed about the higher than desired gravity though. Maybe it'll come down some more...but doesn't seem likely. That's what you get for fermenting too warm...

The recipe was:
4.5 gallons
OG 1.070
60% Rahr 2-row
25% Rahr White Wheat
15% Briess Bonlander Munich 10L

FWH - 1oz chinook
5min - 1oz simcoe
Flameout/hopstand for 30 min - 1oz chinook, 1oz simcoe
1 packet rehydrated Workhorse yeast

And there was an ant that came out with the yeast! I swear it wasn't in my water I had boiled in the microwave in a mason jar. I fished it out and went with it. Beer tastes fine. Maybe a little ant-y.
Posted it back in post #72. Mashed in the low 150's for 90 minutes. Maybe I underpitched? Barely though...
Could call this one "The Curse of the Ant IPA" maybe.

i wouldn't say you under pitched at all, i was at 1.085 and still got it down to 1.011 with 1 packet.
Also, did you recalculate the hydrometer? if you were still sitting at 80*, it's 20* off from where it's supposed to be calibrated at.

Here are a couple of lagers I fermented with MJ M84 Bohemian Lager; BoPils on the left and Helles on the right. I didn't gel the BoPils and it's slightly hazier than the Helles(which was gelled).

The Bopils lagered for 3 weeks at 35F and then moved to my 42F kegerator for another week; the Helles has been lagering for 2 weeks after a cold crash and gelling.

Neither have esters or off flavors but both have an assertive lager yeast flavor that I've always related to Wonka's bottle caps candy. Both are pleasant tasting but the Helles is a bit "soft" on mouthfeel to be considered authentic. The Helles has a bit more bite to the bitterness due to a 45ppm sulfate addition when mashing.

Overall, I'm pleased with both beers. The yeast does have a characteristic flavor to it more suited to Czech styles than German IMHO. I'll use W-34/70 for those in the future. I'll enter the Bopils in a few upcoming comps and see how she fares.

i wouldn't say you under pitched at all, i was at 1.085 and still got it down to 1.011 with 1 packet.
Also, did you recalculate the hydrometer? if you were still sitting at 80*, it's 20* off from where it's supposed to be calibrated at.

I did not recalculate it...it was 10F warmer maybe, which will make, what, a 1 point difference? I guess it could be considered 1.018 then. Reading yesterday was juuuust under 1.020. Tasted pretty good though, definitely doesn't taste sweet or under attenuated. Dry hopped with Cascade and Glacier.

bwarbiany,

That's crazy! 90 hours and nothing? Sheesh. If mine doesn't take off in two days, I'm pitching some 34/70 slurry I've got sitting in the fridge. I aerated with pure O2 this morning for somewhere around 2 minutes, pitched 2 rehydrated packets. We'll see...

bwarbiany,

That's crazy! 90 hours and nothing? Sheesh. If mine doesn't take off in two days, I'm pitching some 34/70 slurry I've got sitting in the fridge. I aerated with pure O2 this morning for somewhere around 2 minutes, pitched 2 rehydrated packets. We'll see...

Yep... 92-94 hours and I finally got fermentation. I don't know if it was due just to time, to temp, or due to the fact that I shook up the fermenter a bit at that point. Either way, now it seems to be a pretty strong healthy fermentation.

I did email the company, and my experience seemed very strange to them as well. They suggested I slightly underpitched (they'd recommend 5 packs rather than 4, for my gravity & volume), but even so they seemed surprised.

For yours, I'd recommend keeping the temp up a bit towards the higher end of the range and agitating it every couple hours.

As a follow up, I did ask what their position is on a diacetyl rest, and they definitely recommend it. So take that into consideration too.

Okay, great. Thanks for the info. I have the set point on my Johnson Controller set at 54 or 55F I think. It usually reads a degree or two lower than that, so perhaps I'll set it a couple degrees higher. The OG was 1.057 for a 4 gallon batch, so I think 2 packets should be plenty.

24 hours and still nothing, but for a lager, I suppose that's somewhat normal. When I swirl the carboy, there are bubbles coming through the airlock, so perhaps that means something is happening...or not. It's sitting at 55F right now. We'll see.

Started getting a thin krausen at around 36 hours. This morning (48 hours) it had maybe a half inch krausen, maybe it'll get bigger, who knows. But it's going, thankfully. Still at 54-55F.

So it started up on Friday night, as I mentioned. It's now Wednesday night, and I just checked the gravity to determine if it was time to start ramping for the D-rest.

It's at 1.016 and fermenting, so I'm raising the temp.

So despite the LOOOONG lag, I'm still having good attenuation. Taste of the sample is yeasty, obviously, but otherwise good.

Sweet, good to know. Mine is going like my lagers normally go. About 1 inch of krausen; it's sitting at 54F, which is higher than I normally go. Hope mine comes down to about 1.012-1.014, which should be about right for an Oktoberfest.

Sweet, good to know. Mine is going like my lagers normally go. About 1 inch of krausen; it's sitting at 54F, which is higher than I normally go. Hope mine comes down to about 1.012-1.014, which should be about right for an Oktoberfest.
Both of mine finished at 1.014 with completely different step mash schedules. I mashed the Helles at 131/140/158F for 30 mins each to dry it out and it still finished at 1.014.

I brewed an Oktober with the Bohemian Lager yeast and it's tasting pretty darn delicious, even young.

Am currently brewing an APA with the West Coast yeast which is smelling pretty darned good too!

Both of mine finished at 1.014 with completely different step mash schedules. I mashed the Helles at 131/140/158F for 30 mins each to dry it out and it still finished at 1.014.

Hmmm well that's not totally outside the finishing range for a helles. I decided to just do a single infusion for my oktoberfest. I've been having some issues with reaching my next temp with decoctions, I think because I brew smaller batches, there isn't as much mass to add back. At least that's what I'm telling myself...that or I'm not pulling enough of a decoction. But I try for 1qt for every pound of grist.
Step infusions are easier to do, for sure.

So my beer fermented at around 80F with the Workhorse yeast turned out surprisingly good. I don't get any hot or solventy alcohol flavors, it tastes pretty clean. Aside from the stalled ferment at 1.020 (OG was 1.069), the yeast worked cleanly. Someone else said they were able to get down to 1.011 with a 1.075 or so beer at 80F, so perhaps it was some other variable that caused the under attenuation. But it would seem to me that this yeast is true to it's word in that it ferments cleanly at quite high temperatures.

that was me :mug:
1.085 - 1.011 as of about 3 days into the ferment, it's been 15 days now so i'm going to pop it open tonight and take another gravity reading i think and bottle one beer (my friend has no refrigeration and i'm going to let him taste a sample)
dryhopped as of about 4 days ago as well... looking to bottle in another few days :mug: - skipping the keg this time... last time i had a 9-10% beer on tap i was walking around drunk 24/7 :drunk: lol

Ha, nice. I can't believe yours went from 1.085 to 1.011 in 3 days...damn. I wonder why mine didn't get below 1.020. I aerated with pure O2 for a minute or so, rehydrated the yeast, mashed around 151 for 90 minutes...maybe it was just that particular packet of yeast...

just checked it and it's at 1.010, so 88% attenuation and 9.98 abv... pretty stoked.

Only big difference in mine was i added some corn sugar to dry it out... looks like that worked lol. but i'm going to bottle and age it for quite awhile... it's warming and is a bit hot... needs time to age for sure!

I'll definitely be trying it again if I need to brew but don't have space in my fermentation fridge. The IPA I used it in is quite tasty, surprisingly, even though the final gravity was higher than desired. It's not sweet or anything. There's enough simcoe and chinook in it to balance any sweetness out, plus dry hopped with a few ounces of Glacier and Cascade blend.

Beer is bottled. Let a sample sit out for a bit and sipped on it. Really digging how smooth it is now. Profile is lovely as well...

Beer is bottled. Let a sample sit out for a bit and sipped on it. Really digging how smooth it is now. Profile is lovely as well...

Yeah, aside from my under attenuation, you can't tell this beer was fermented at 80f. I'd use it again. Maybe my mash pH was high or something, I don't know. Just weird that it under attenuated. Mashed for 90 minutes at 152f, aerated with pure O2 for 1 or 2 minutes...fermented like mad for 24-36 hours then it was done. Never seen a fermentation that strong before.

Pitched 400ml of harvested 3rd gen M84 lager yeast to 7.5 gals of 1.050 wort 24 hrs ago. It's fermenting slowly at 53 F. This stuff does much better as a repitch than rehydrated.

Pitched 400ml of harvested 3rd gen M84 lager yeast to 7.5 gals of 1.050 wort 24 hrs ago. It's fermenting slowly at 53 F. This stuff does much better as a repitch than rehydrated.

Good to know. I'll likely be reusing the yeast from my Oktoberfest, given that that beer turns out worth a damn...I'm kind of ready to go back to brewing some ales.

Ok so I brewed with Workhorse for the second time. And now for the second time I have had a restarted fermentation about 10-12 days later. I can't figure this out although I am leaning towards temp and the dual nature of this strain. I kept the beer in an ice bath for about 5 days at 64 degrees, then took it out so the yeast could finish and drop out. I checked the other day and It still had a reasonable amount of bubbles, some yeasty and filmy looking. Now I check again today and it has a small layer of krausen. I think next time I do a lager/ale hybrid brew I will just use Cal Common yeast.

Quoting myself. 4 days post-pitch and this beer is at 1.012. Temp got up to 55F at the height of ferm--and she was churning well. Grist was 75% pils, 13% Vienna, 12% instant rice.

Mash temp: 145F for 40mins, 155F 30mins. Takes a pretty light grist and low mash temps to dry out M-84.

ETA: Kept the sample in the hydro flask overnight and it's now at 1.010. Broke my M84 1.014 curse.

Quoting myself. 4 days post-pitch and this beer is at 1.012. Temp got up to 55F at the height of ferm--and she was churning well. Grist was 75% pils, 13% Vienna, 12% instant rice.

Mash temp: 145F for 40mins, 155F 30mins. Takes a pretty light grist and low mash temps to dry out M-84.

ETA: Kept the sample in the hydro flask overnight and it's now at 1.010. Broke my M84 1.014 curse.

Thanks for the info/update. Hope it turns out.

Well, my repitch of a Schwarzbier onto the M84 cake from my Oktoberfestbier took off like a rocket. Pitched at 51 degrees, oxygenated for 2 minutes, and it was fermenting strong within 18 hours.

Awesome. I'm looking forward to tapping my Ofest with the M84 in late September. The recent dunkel I brewed with 34/70 is phenomenal; one of the best beers I've ever made, strangely enough. It was Briess Bonlander munich for the base, then a half pound of caramunich III, then an ounce or two of blackprinz for color. Mittelfruh to about 18 IBU and fermented at 48F. Something about this beer just kicks so much ass.
I'm getting into acidifying with phosphoric now, I wonder how that will improve the beer even more? It was with RO, with enough calcium chloride to get to 50ppm calcium. Sparged with only RO.
Bit off topic there...sorry, I'm just excited for that beer! I think I might be done brewing hoppy beers for a while, I'm liking these German lagers so much more right now.

Just brewed a Scottish 90/- (ish) on Friday. Pitched a pack of rehydrated Newcastle Dark yeast. Fermentation at 68* and within 12 hours blowoff tube was needed. Violent ferment for 24 hours and by today (Sunday) the airlock is all quiet again. I'll try to remember to post again with OG/FG and tasting notes.

Beer is done! I fermented at 68°F subtle english esters but nothing prominent, good mouthfeel, OG was 1.053 finished at 1.016 for 68.7% attenuation.

I did a simple cider with the leftover yeast. I was hoping it would come up short on that one to but no luck. It blew through 1.060 to 0.099 in a few days.

I liked the Newcastle Dark. I think it will be my yeast of choice for milds (adding some sugar to slightly increase attenuation).

Ok so I brewed with Workhorse for the second time. And now for the second time I have had a restarted fermentation about 10-12 days later. I can't figure this out although I am leaning towards temp and the dual nature of this strain. I kept the beer in an ice bath for about 5 days at 64 degrees, then took it out so the yeast could finish and drop out. I checked the other day and It still had a reasonable amount of bubbles, some yeasty and filmy looking. Now I check again today and it has a small layer of krausen. I think next time I do a lager/ale hybrid brew I will just use Cal Common yeast.

That's strange. Has it finished?

I plan to brew a mild with the Newcastle Dark Ale yeast tomorrow. Perhaps, at the suggestion of others, I'll add a little sugar to increase attenuation. For a 4 gallon recipe with a grain bill of about 5 1/4lbs, should I replace some of the base malt for like, say, 1/2lb of sugar? Or how much is appropriate?

Back