Anyone ever use Munich in an American IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
So I was at AHBS today and I got the following ingredients to make an IPA tomorrow, Thanks Yooper!

6 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
8.00 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

But instead of Vienna, I accidentally ordered 2 lbs of Munich LME. I put all the info into Beersmith2 and beersmith doesnt have Munich LME int he database, but Beer Tools Pro does, and with that grain/extrat bill everything is in order for an IPA, but I'm not sure if I want to put the Munich in it. With out it, the OG is too low by .003 points according to Beersmith. I know it's not much, but still kinda bugs me.

So what would you do, roll with out it, or add it?

Also going to go with the following for hops.

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 32.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 13.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 11.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 13.0 IBUs

What do yall think? I want a lot of aroma on this IPA.

Sure it will work. It will change the gravity, SRM, and flavour but not too much since you are doing a PM... I would say brew on and remember that mistakes are how some great brews are discovered!!

I use Munich in mine and it works really well. I use about 2lbs. I agree with purplejeepxj go for it and if u don't like don't do it again

Also going to go with the following for hops.

1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 32.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 13.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 11.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 13.0 IBUs

What do yall think? I want a lot of aroma on this IPA.

For aroma, you'll want to dry hop your beer, after fermentation is done.

Just use the LME... The hops look good. I am a fan of Citra, check out my Citra Rye Pale Ale if you like Citra. Your beer will defiantly be hoppy bitter with a citrus after taste.

If those are the only hops you've got, and you really want aroma, I'd eke out 1/2 oz of Simcoe and 1/3 oz of Citra for dry hopping.
60min .75oz Simcoe
30min .5oz Citra
10min .75 Simcoe
10min .67oz Citra
After primary fermentation, dry hop in secondary w/ the 1/2oz Simcoe and 1/3oz Citra.

One of my beers has 6oz dry hop for 6 gallons.

I also have Centennial Cascade Chinook and Columbus. And I have a pound of Simcoe and half a pound of Citra.

Thanks for the input guys! Brew day is still on for tomorrow!!! Just gotta go by walmart and get a scale. All of my hops are in 4 oz bags haha.

I tasted this today after putting it in the keg, and its good. I just wish I hadnt of racked off the sediment right away, and I should have used some Centennial as well.

Back