Anyone ever have a toe removed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stubbed my big toe pretty bad while jogging, and it's been giving me bit of pain for several years. I'm afraid I did something bad to it. It doesn't bend right, it's a little crooked, and it seems to always be a little swelled up. That's been going on for a while.

So, I haven't talked to anyone about it, but I think I want to take it off. I have my regular annual doc visit coming up and I think I'll get the process started then.

Has anyone done this before? It's my left big toe. I have a friend who lost his in a water skiiing event and he seems to get along just fine without it.

My uncle lost that exact toe while mowing the grass as a teenager. He used to get a kick out of showing us kids.

Get it removed and charge neighborhood kids $1 to see the stump, $2 to see the preserved toe, and $3 to get a picture with the toe and stump. Retire early.

You're welcome.

That seems a bit extreme. If it's not dying on the vine, it seems it could be fixed.

I know two people missing toes. One a pinky, and one most of a big toe. They get along just fine. If I didn't know it about them, I couldn't tell by outward appearance.

A badly stubbed toe often years later requires a joint replacement. I had one replaced on my right foot several years ago, and I'll probably get one on the other foot before the end of the year. (Already went to see podiatrist, just waiting til it's a good time for me to schedule.) Removal seems awful extreme, as stated above. Go see a good podiatrist.

I stubbed my big toe pretty bad while jogging, and it's been giving me bit of pain for several years. I'm afraid I did something bad to it. It doesn't bend right, it's a little crooked, and it seems to always be a little swelled up. That's been going on for a while.

So, I haven't talked to anyone about it, but I think I want to take it off. I have my regular annual doc visit coming up and I think I'll get the process started then.

Has anyone done this before? It's my left big toe. I have a friend who lost his in a water skiiing event and he seems to get along just fine without it.

Yikes! Isn't your son in medical school or a doctor or something?

Bones and amputations aren't exactly like the dentist... "Hey doc, just yank that sucker out!" You probably chipped the tiniest piece of bone and your body keeps repairing it (probably at night) and immediately rips again the second weight is put on it.

Go to the dr, xray, you'll prob get a boot and a splint for the toe, or maybe they'll need to shave some bone or scar tissue first. BUT if the skin is not necrotic, I doubt you can have that toe made to order... unless you go to mexico :rockin:

Bones and amputations aren't exactly like the dentist... "Hey doc, just yank that sucker out!" You probably chipped the tiniest piece of bone and your body keeps repairing it (probably at night) and immediately rips again the second weight is put on it.

Go to the dr, xray, you'll prob get a boot and a splint for the toe, or maybe they'll need to shave some bone or scar tissue first. BUT if the skin is not necrotic, I doubt you can have that toe made to order... unless you go to mexico :rockin:

I'd go to North Korea. they have ancient unicorn lairs.

Great advice people! I assumed (der) that removing it would be the easiest thing. I never heard of a joint replacement - seems like removal would be easier tho.

I'm not going to do anything rash. But I'm also not getting into any complex procedures because I know that the toe isn't really necessary.

From the webz:

Toe amputation is a common procedure performed by a wide variety of health care providers. The vast majority of toe amputations are performed on patients with a diabetic foot.[1] Although regional variation is noted, most of these procedures are done by general, vascular, and orthopedic surgeons (particularly those subspecializing in foot and ankle surgery); in some countries, podiatrists are involved.

There are three broad indications for amputation of any body part: "dead," "deadly," and "dead loss” (see below).[2] Before any amputation, the clinician should ensure that the patient’s medical circumstances have been optimized (ie, should "reverse the reversible"). With impending toe amputation, this step encompasses such measures as glycemic control and consideration of revascularization when severe macrovascular disease is contributing to ischemia.

The method of toe amputation (disarticulation versus osteotomy) and the level of amputation (partial or whole phalanx versus whole digit versus ray) depend on numerous circumstances but are mainly determined by the extent of disease and the anatomy. With any amputation, the degree of postoperative functional loss is generally proportional to the amount of tissue taken. The great toe is considered the most important of the toes in functional terms. Nevertheless, great toe amputation can be performed with little resulting functional deficit.[3, 4]

Don't worry, I have extras (haha, j/k)

article-1260245-08D939CE000005DC-580_468x286.jpg

If it were your little toe on the left foot, I am sure you would have many of us here volunteer to help you with a clean removal. I would see a doc to try and save the big one.

I never lost a toe, but did have a horse stomp down on my big toe rather hard, which resulted in the clean removal of the big toenail. :(

Sounds a bit extreme. Even for a mod. :)

haha, I just took my wife out to dinner and she did not like the idea either. I never mentioned it to her before.

I've been thinking about this for a long time, so I'm totally on board with it. I've fantasized about it for a long time. Sucker hurts a little sometimes, a lot other times. The thought of it being gone is wonderful, actually. Weird thought I know.

I'm making an appointment Monday.

Wonder if you'd have phantom pain.
You can name your brewery One less toe brewing or lost toe brewing.

Today is another day I'm safe from having the ugliest feet on the internet. :D

And if you are serious about amputation, I've several fine cutting implements. Cleavers. Cross cut shears. A Dremel. Hey! The Dremel will even make that real doctor sound!

I had 60 % of my right foot cut off after an accident in a steel mill

I would not have done it by choice, I thought I was going to lose both legs below the knees

so it was not that bad but it hurts when 4600 pounds falls on you

good luck with the toe

S_M

media

$14.99 at Harbor Freight will take care of your problem. Cheaper than a Dr. visit, and your risk of Staph infection is probably about the same. Just follow proper sanitation techniques and drink a lot of home brew before hand. :ban:

I when I read the title, I wondered if you were worried about getting drafted, but that is usually the pinkie toe.

Now this is how you title a post!
I had to click and read!

I've now seen this and Yooper's "Brewing Naked" post all in the same day. It's been an interesting day!

And on a serious note, I was also thinking of phantom-pain. I'd definitely get your doctor's opinion, and at least a 2nd opinion, before pushing for amputation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know someone who had all of the toes on one foot amputated except for the big toe, then had that phallic looking thing removed a few years later due to issues.
Get an xray or even better a technetium bone scan. It can show hairline fractures.
+1 to seeing a good podiatrist, who would likely order the scan.

Back