Anyone elses Centennials already need to be harvested?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_sell31

Reaction score
Seems early but they were turning brown and appeared dry. This is in SW MI.

^LOL!^

Anyway...my Centennials and Fuggles will be coming down by Sunday, hopefully sooner than later.
Work is totally in the way, but I might be able to git it done tomorrow, or perhaps Friday.
Have a wedding on Saturday so that's out...

Cheers!

I have a first year centennial that I will harvest next week, The yield will not be that high, probably about a half oz dry. The few side arms that I pollinated for cross breeding I will leave on until brown to completely mature.

Of the 8 varieties that my dad planted this year, the Centennials are the ones going most bat crap crazy. First year, cones everywhere, some massive and almost as big around as a half dollar. They are soon to be ready and either this or next weekend I am going to have to pick them. The other plants are not doing as well, but I should be able to get some harvest out of them as well.

yes, just picked today. Not much of a yield but only first full year. Seems all my other plants cascade, chinook and columbus are at least two weeks away.

I wondered if I had enough water for mine this year. We had a pretty dry summer so far with only a couple of downpours total. I'll have to check them tonight. IIRC last I looked they were pretty small yet and plenty of new flowers sprouting still. I had some beetles to take care of too, which hasn't been a priority yet. I'll have to get out there and take stock of the situation.

It's about a month early for picking for me.

Mine started to be ready to pick well over a month ago (I'm in Tennessee) but the Japanese beetles go to my plants while I was out of town before I could pick any. They did a number on my hops plants. I guess next year I'll be able to use them in an all-Centennial IPA.

Mine started to be ready to pick well over a month ago (I'm in Tennessee) but the Japanese beetles go to my plants while I was out of town before I could pick any. They did a number on my hops plants. I guess next year I'll be able to use them in an all-Centennial IPA.

The hops or the Japanese beetles?

Or is it beatles?
silverbeats1.jpg

I'm in West Michigan (Gun Lake) and I think my Centennial are getting pretty close too. No brown cones, but the one I picked the other day smelled pretty good. Maybe I'll get them down this weekend, few lower leaves are starting to brown a bit here and there. So might be time.

I think you answered your own qeustion, or something like that.

Yes and no, they will yellow from lack of fertilizer too. It started a bit of that a month ago and I got it to stop with a dose of plant fertilizer. I hit them again last weekend but it doesn't seem to have arrested the yellowing of leaves this time.

Latest posts

Back