Anyone else work in a lab?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voleceq

Reaction score
Hey all... I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct forum to post this in so feel free to move it if need be.

I work in a lab as my summer job and we do a fairly large amount of cell culture work. This is the first summer I've worked in the lab after I started homebrewing and one problem has me a bit concerned. Every set of cells I've started to culture have become contaminated with yeast. No matter how extreme I go sanitation-wise, it still happens. I've never encountered yeast contamination issues until this summer and was curious if anyone else works with cell culture and has run into similar issues. Thanks!

I work in a quality control lab for an animal health company. While I've heard of people contaminating cell lines with bread yeast, I've never actually seen it. It's feesable that you could carry yeast on your hands, clothes, etc. If you have a anti-bacterial setting on your dryer, I would use it. I'm on the bacteriology side of the lab, so I don't do cell work anymore. Do you have access to a VITEK or similar identification machine? If so, it might be worth seeing if you can identify your contaminate. If you don't, you can always send it out to be identified.

Back