Anyone else hate the term "Brew in a Bag"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That brings up a question I've been trying to understand:

What can you brew with a 3-vessel system that you can't brew with BIAB?

I can't deal with a hop bag with 10 ounces of hops, let alone 32# of grain in a 11 gallon batch. 32 # of grain is like 3.5 gallon of absorbed water which is another 30 # As you raise this 65 # monstrosity above the kettle do you use a hoist? Do you stop 1/4 of the way out to drain the bag? 1/2 way out? 3/4 out? (Cut the numbers in half if you do a 5 1/2 gallon brew. 32 #) how do you handle it? In my somewhat limited 12 year experience I've never seen a BIAB go smoothly, but I know there are a lot of proponents. So how are you handling the weight? It seems easier to convert a $40 cooler. I know this trend started with the Aussies but the cost's are much higher there. The original issue in (2006) was a home space issue. Placement of the HLT that drained through a bag of grain above the BK became BIAB. It took less than a year to be adopted. The BIAB was a acronym that the Aussies started and why we call it that today.

I can't deal with a hop bag with 10 ounces of hops, let alone 32# of grain in a 11 gallon batch. 32 # of grain is like 3.5 gallon of absorbed water which is another 30 # As you raise this 65 # monstrosity above the kettle do you use a hoist? Do you stop 1/4 of the way out to drain the bag? 1/2 way out? 3/4 out? (Cut the numbers in half if you do a 5 1/2 gallon brew. 32 #) how do you handle it? In my somewhat limited 12 year experience I've never seen a BIAB go smoothly, but I know there are a lot of proponents. So how are you handling the weight? It seems easier to convert a $40 cooler. I know this trend started with the Aussies but the cost's are much higher there. The original issue in (2006) was a home space issue. Placement of the HLT that drained through a bag of grain above the BK became BIAB. It took less than a year to be adopted. The BIAB was a acronym that the Aussies started and why we call it that today.

Try doing some farming to get in shape. A bag of wheat weighs 60 pounds. Pull it from the back of the truck, throw it onto the platform of the grain drill and then lift and hold it while you pour it into the drill. BTW, the grain drill holds 10 bushel which means you refill every 6 to 7 acres. By the time you have done 40 acres, your BIAB bag will feel pretty light. :rockin::D

Can you decoct with BIAB? I guess you could tie off half a dozen bags and pull one or two at a time for a decoction.

You can definitely decoct with BIAB, you just scoop some of the mash into another pot, and return to the main mash when it's boiled long enough.

If only there was some kind of mechanism that would make it easier to hoist 60 pounds of wet grain out of a kettle. If only....

136099d1374267754-ideas-portable-biab-hoist-heavy-batches-attach-pulley-yoyo2pcs-easyhydro3.jpg

Another fun thread :) Yes, technically I mash in a bag and brew in a kettle. And yes, we are looked down on by certain 3 vessel brewers who think what we do is not really All Grain. By the way - I hate the term all grain. What else would it be? Half grain? Somewhat grain? Mostly grain? To me it's either grain brewing, partial mash brewing or extract brewing. And while we are at it, if it's all grain, are adjuncts allowed? Is honey ok? What about vanilla and coffee and all the tutti fruttis?

Try doing some farming to get in shape. A bag of wheat weighs 60 pounds. Pull it from the back of the truck, throw it onto the platform of the grain drill and then lift and hold it while you pour it into the drill. BTW, the grain drill holds 10 bushel which means you refill every 6 to 7 acres. By the time you have done 40 acres, your BIAB bag will feel pretty light. :rockin::D

You do this everyday? I love farmers attitudes, they work 2 day's a year, one to plant and one to harvest and spend the rest of the year telling everyone how hard they work because they have to do maintenance on the equipment. I guess the air conditioned cab or tire pressure or GPS or stereo can need service, those shock absorber seats need to have the beer cans removed from underneath or they lose some travel. :mug:

What can you brew with a 3-vessel system that you can't brew with BIAB?

I can't brew 1/2B, 15.5 gallon batches with my 3V system, my cooler mash tun is too small, so I BIAB them once or twice a year at home. I also BIAB a 1/2 keg batch at my hunt club once a year...much easier than carting down 3V, BIAB is a good mobile brewery IME.

Back to the OP, the term used to bother me, but I have gotten used to it. When I first learned of BIAB years ago, I too thought it was a hack method. While talking to a guy at one of our bulk buys, he was saying how much he enjoyed BIAB and how easy it was, and the rest is history...

I don't hate the term, but I am somewhat nitpicky by nature and think it should be called "Mash in a Bag."

As for the people who think I'm not really doing all grain, they're probably the same ones who are dismissive of extract brewers, so I'm not all that concerned with their opinion.

It appears I'm obviously in the minority on this... and that's cool... but I don't think "Mash in a Bag" is accurate either. You mash in a kettle. The bag is just the filtration device.

To me it's like saying I drove to work in a seat. I was in a seat and it made it possible for me to drive, but I drove to work in a car. Anyways... Cheers. Brew on!

I started with a bag but ended up having a stainless basket made to fit my kettle just because it worked better for my particular system. It is also easier to dump and clean (dish washer safe)
After I started using the basket I refered to my set up as "single vessel brewing"
To be honest the name change did somehow enhance my self esteem.
I noticed that the term single vessel brewing seemed more dignified than brew in a bag.
I began to look down on my bag brewing friends as somehow occupying a lower class or being less refined than myself. That is until the baskets became more popular and I started seeing the same acronym "BIAB" used
to refer to brewing in a basket. This really brought me down, I was barley able to utter the term "BIAB"
But after being diagnosed with severe depression and undergoing several months of therapy I am finally able to proudly proclaim to the world THAT YES:

austin_powers_its_my_bag.jpg

It really makes no difference to me. I make beer. How you get there really makes no difference. It's all about the end product!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm embarrassed that I going back to the original topic but someone has to do it.

I'd say we just take over the term "all grain brewing."

We should just assume everyone knows "all grain brewing" means BIAB. We could flood all the posts with "Oh, so you're not an all grain brewer, well, with all those vessels your beer is probably just getting confused as to exactly what you want it to do." OR ...

Besides PicoBrew Zymatic is coming on with Brewery In A Box.

Love this thread.
Agree that BIAB is awkward and leads to comprehension.
Have to agree that it is way better than RIMS or HERMES, which both sound like diseases.
But keggle sounds like fun. I'm going to keggle my wife. Or some-one's.

"Hey you should try BIAB!!!!!! you don't need all that equipment. My beers are just as good if not better than those that use more equipment. All you need is a bag to put your grains in. You only need 1 kettle. Those that have more are just stupid. I'm a much better human being than them because i use the BIAB method"

Said every (at least 60%) BIAB brewer on every inquiry thread about moving to all grain brewing.

Had I known about it prior to getting my setup together i would have probably gone that route. Though I doubt I would act like such a martyr about the name of the technique. I know extract brewers that win best of show, so i really think the "what kind of brewer are you?" thing is over rated.

"Hey you should try BIAB!!!!!! you don't need all that equipment. My beers are just as good if not better than those that use more equipment. All you need is a bag to put your grains in. You only need 1 kettle. Those that have more are just stupid. I'm a much better human being than them because i use the BIAB method"

Said every (at least 60%) BIAB brewer on every inquiry thread about moving to all grain brewing.

Had I known about it prior to getting my setup together i would have probably gone that route. Though I doubt I would act like such a martyr about the name of the technique. I know extract brewers that win best of show, so i really think the "what kind of brewer are you?" thing is over rated.

You know you posted this in the "BIAB brewing" forum, right? Just sayin....

You know you posted this in the "BIAB brewing" forum, right? Just sayin....

Yes

:D You may have a good point. Maybe some of the "real all grain" brewers wouldn't be so condescending then!

This is really what i was replying too. "real all grain" brewers??? seems to me i could pull up threads about moving to all grain and i could find posts that read with a tone that i displayed. Just saying…. condescending

Like i said had i been familiar before piecing my system together i would most likely would have gone that route. Though to act like others don't think BIAB is "all grain" is BS.

Further more this isn't a technique that was developed by the OP. If the name is so off putting to him he can go another route. I feel like there is a little show of respect by using the name since thats how it was named by those that developed it and shared it with the rest of us.

Again i feel we are all brewers and that the technique we employ mean less than the quality of beer we produce. I just don't get the concern over the name.
Just saying…..

You can brew in an old sock for all I care.

Just don't mention that part until after the glass is empty.

Is it human nature to be hypersensitive to persecution?

1G brewers are butthurt that the "large batch elitists" are persecuting them.

BIAB brewers are butthurt that traditional 3 vessel brewers think they're not "all-grain" brewers.

IPA haters are butthurt that hop bombs are hogging up 80% of their tap handle choices.

.....The irony is all that persecution is perceived...and the butthurt is manufactured.

To the OP, No. BIAB doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's descriptive. But to each their own. To the poster that wants to commandeer the title of "AG brewer" well, guess what. You are an all-grain brewer, congratulations. :mug:

Back