Anyone doing Dry January?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering. I generally give up alcohol from Ash Wednesday to Good Friday but this year January will be included.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/10645496/weight-loss-vision-body-give-up-booze/
I'm giving up drinking entirely, at least that's my intention. Not because I have a problem but among others, the needed weight loss of your article. Working out is almost a non-starter for me due to a medical problem so I can really only rely on walking, which itself kills me but I have to do something to keep moving. Beer bites back at me anyway in a few ways, and wine and booze just aren't good for me neurologically, which is my issue.

As an aside, I used to be on the unfortunately named "Abs-Diet" which once worked well for me, though my stuff was masked with narcotics, a dead end. I'm thinking of trying "intermittent fasting" of a 6-hour window for eating, 18 hours off.

I'm giving up drinking entirely, at least that's my intention. Not because I have a problem but among others, the needed weight loss of your article. Working out is almost a non-starter for me due to a medical problem so I can really only rely on walking, which itself kills me but I have to do something to keep moving. Beer bites back at me anyway in a few ways, and wine and booze just aren't good for me neurologically, which is my issue.

As an aside, I used to be on the unfortunately named "Abs-Diet" which once worked well for me, though my stuff was masked with narcotics, a dead end. I'm thinking of trying "intermittent fasting" of a 6-hour window for eating, 18 hours off.

I had already planned to go dry from the new year to April due to an upcoming surgery and the recovery phase. Then I happened upon that story and had a little more reason to stick it out.

I only brewed a few times this past year so I am going the opposite direction. At least as far as brewing goes. I could stand to cut down on the consumption a little. But I will not be abstaining.

Not fully dry, no, although I did quit drinking entirely for the month of November. I also adopted a plant-based diet at the same time, which I will be continuing to honor.

My commitment now, begun in December, is to have no more than one measured drink per day. This, and dedicating my 2020 brewing efforts to low ABV versions of my favorite styles.

Looks like you're in the minority in the US:
off15_prcp.gif

I may just...
Have to finish a recovery from surgery as well and taking the recommended drugs is doing much better for me than enjoying a beer.

Also being overweight has affected my joints, so I figure while I lose weight I'll take the money I save on beer and upgrade the brewery!

Dry what? It is to laugh!

giphy.gif

In my case, just skipping the midnite snacks (typical: a tube of Saltines or Ritz, a jar of peanut butter and a jar of strawberry preserve; or diving into a quart of mocha chip ice cream with a spoon - no bowl required) has dropped 18 elbees off my frame - without skipping a single dram of my homebrew.

It's all about priorities :D

Cheers!

Usually, I'll take a month off from drinking 2 times a year...January is never one of those months however...

When life isn't so crazy and I do my normal 8-10 brews for the year I usually take a month off just to reset the old system and lose a little weight...March/April is generally my dry month due to the start of h.s. Baseball season (I coach) and work isn't too crazy that it drives me to drink.

Nope. I quit dipping tobacco a little over 4 years ago. When I think I’m fully over it, I’ll think about working on other unhealthy things in my life. Good news though. A couple weeks ago, it was on a Thursday, I went a full hour without thinking about getting a dip.
I’ll tentatively pencil this January thing in for the year 2067.

I probably will be dry through january, I've had three beers since the start of november following injuring my knee, I have no supplies left and decided to stop drinking until I can have another homebrew, which will necessitate my leg getting better. Thought it was quite a good opportunity to not drink anything else as I didn't want to gain weight while injured. I also immediately took up an 18/6 style diet as if I ate the same amount as before I would also have gained weight. Skipping breakfast was the easiest solution rather than eating a bit less all round.

Needless to say I will be gasping for that first homewbrewed pint back :) whenever it may be

Well I brewed a blooper and my Christmas guests demolished my other beer so my pipeline has a serious dent in it. Bad timing really. Since I drink what I brew, drinking beer has been slowed tremendously. I brewed today so anticipate a pint about mid Jan. Not quite an entire month but close.

Well I brewed a blooper and my Christmas guests demolished my other beer so my pipeline has a serious dent in it. Bad timing really. Since I drink what I brew, drinking beer has been slowed tremendously. I brewed today so anticipate a pint about mid Jan. Not quite an entire month but close.

Condollances.
Eric

I've had a couple of those pipeline ruptures in the last year. Does slow me down. But since, like you, I really mostly drink just what I brew, I try to look at these as opportunities to check out some commercial beers I otherwise wouldn't take the opportunity to try. Usually just makes me even more eager to get my own quality product flowing again. [emoji41]

Not going dry, but not entirely "wet" either. So maybe somewhat MOIST?
Also will be trying to brew some 3% beers in an effort to reduce total alcohol consumption.

One part of me thinks it might be good to let the "pipeline" dry out at some point,...take a break....another part of me makes sure that's not going to happen....

Fully support dry spells though, have even dabbled with myself...{;

Also will be trying to brew some 3% beers in an effort to reduce total alcohol consumption.

I've managed to get a decent lager under 4.5% but haven't cracked sub 4% yet. As of right now I have 4 full soda kegs that will be lagering until April. One is a maibock but the other 3 should be around 4.25%.

My brewing goal for the year is to develop a good tasting sub 4% lager. I like beer and I don't mind the relaxation that comes with a few but intoxication is something I'm not seeking. Not saying it doesn't happen from time to time but a good tasting, lower abv brew will allow me to enjoy beer a little more.

I have always (in a 30 year brewing life) tended to brew (relatively) low ABV beers compared to other homebrewers in my orbit, and as I've aged, it has really become solidified. 5% is pretty much my top now, even my Festbier is in that range. My tastes have always run to ordinary German lagers and British Bitter and Mild, styles which excel in stuffing complex and elegant flavors into low ABV packages. This "session beer" focus is a great approach to enjoying the hobby and its fruits while remaining somewhat health conscious. It seems to be an up and coming trend, even among younger people and not just us rapidly deteriorating sorts, this interest in lower alcohol beers. (Of course at the same time, things like tea and seltzer are becoming ever boozier... go figure.)

As a community, we should support anyone who makes a commitment to quit or reduce consumption, whether temporarily or permanently. There is no pride or joy in being dependent on alcohol.

Beer and wine are both wonderful creations, full of a rich craft culture, socially enjoyable, delicious etc. But they are addictive products with the potential to disrupt one's life, so consuming them in moderation is wise...

Since "moderation" is a term with no standard definition, it's worth re-evaluating our circumstances periodically. The New Year is as good an opportunity as any. Kudos to those being self-reflective.

No, but I am cutting way back because I drank like a fish the last half of December and now I need to lose the weight.

I will probably go dry for Lent this year.

No, but I am cutting way back because I drank like a fish the last half of December and now I need to lose the weight.

I will probably go dry for Lent this year.

I did dry Lent last year. Also did three meals a day, no desserts Lent. Lost 30 lbs and felt great. The pounds really started to come off about two weeks into walking 18 holes and carrying the bag 3x a week combined with walking the dogs multi miles 3x a week and using the elliptical 3x a week.

Then my hip went out, lol. I have to say that beer helps with the unending boredom of forced activity restriction. New year, new hip in a few days, golf in 3 months. That's the plan anyway.

Yup, doing Dry January. Did it last year as well. I will be making one exception for my favorite brewery's anniversary party at the end of the month though.

Back