Anyone add hops @ bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARDean

Reaction score
Gotta bottle tomorrow and was thinking of passing an IPA through 2oz Centennials as I rack it to the bottling bucket... Anyone ever done this? Should I try it?

I figured it would be a bad idea - thanks!
(my pop forgot to dry hop it and we have to bottle tomorrow)

you could try to add some hop extract, I'm not sure what aroma you would get out of it. I have never used hop extract, but it might be some thing to look into.

I'm sure someone here has and can inform us.

Blichmann Engineering makes something called the hop rocket...1 application is when legged, pushing the beer through hops...you might be able to use it for your purpose...but my opinion is just dry hop or a few days/weeks

You could make a hop tea, just boil the hops in a small amount of water for 2 minutes, strain and add to the bottling bucket.

I usually boil hop teas for 15 minutes. Actually works pretty well. Especially if your doing the can & kilo thing. Do it at the beginning for a good hop flavor that isn't overpowering. Then dry hop one week. Works good to help make a can & kilo brew better.

Gotta bottle tomorrow and was thinking of passing an IPA through 2oz Centennials as I rack it to the bottling bucket... Anyone ever done this? Should I try it?

I think it's a GREAT idea, although not really new. I used to do the same some years ago when I was bottling all my brews. I was told about this "pre-bottling" dry-hopping method from another home brewer at my LHBS. Simply put some hops in a reusable coffee filter and run the beer though it while racking it into the bottling bucket.
From what I understand, many micro-breweries have special devices that do pretty much the same thing.

If you're kegging, it's easier to simply do an additional dry-hopping inside the keg.

I think it's a GREAT idea, although not really new. I used to do the same some years ago when I was bottling all my brews. I was told about this "pre-bottling" dry-hopping method from another home brewer at my LHBS. Simply put some hops in a reusable coffee filter and run the beer though it while racking it into the bottling bucket.
From what I understand, many micro-breweries have special devices that do pretty much the same thing.

If you're kegging, it's easier to simply do an additional dry-hopping inside the keg.

As Yooper pointed out, there's a great risk for oxidation here though and unless the OP has some way of running it through a closed system, there will surely be splashing and aerating.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
I scolded my dad for not dry hopping and just bottled the beer (I really didn't scold my dad - I respect my elders, and beer)...

Maybe get some clear plastic pipe,block off the ends,or maybe find some plastic reducers that the tubing can be mounted on for both ends. Make one end removable to place hops inside,replace end,& proceed to rack. That way,the hose on the outlet side can extend into a curve at the bottom of the bottling bucket as usual.
Mount the hop pipe vertically near the end on the spigot or auto siphon to keep a good gravity flow going.

ARDean said:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
I scolded my dad for not dry hopping and just bottled the beer (I really didn't scold my dad - I respect my elders, and beer)...

I think that was the best way to go based on the small time frame. The beer will probably taste great without the dry-hopping.

Back