Any WLP640 Brettanomyces Anomalus Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMessenger

Reaction score
WLP640 Brett A is a Yeast Vault released product. It had been made available as part of a waiting list item if enough people committed to buying as of a few years ago but that option seems to have been discontinued.

I am working with my LHBS to try to get a packet of it for an old ale. I’ve used Brett C (WLP645) in secondary and got some interesting flavors and am curious how Brett A compares. Has anybody had a chance to try WLP640? Is it different enough from the Brett C to be worth the effort?

Obviously not many people have experience with that culture of Brett A so please report back when you have some info! As for its difference from a strain of Brett C, keep in mind that every different strain of Brett C and Brett A could be very different or very similar just like the many strains of Sacch cerevisiae. Not very helpful but it’s all I got. Good luck.

Obviously not many people have experience with that culture of Brett A so please report back when you have some info!

Yes, will do. I plan to split a 10 gal batch of Old Ale with fresh pitches of the Brett C and Brett A in secondary and then give it a year or more to age before comparing

Edit: it turns out there is a new method to get on a Yeast Vault waiting list:

https://yeastman.com/ Click “Yeast Strains” > “Vault Strains” > “Vault Preorder” to get to the page where you can select vault yeasts.

Last edited:
not with this particular brett A. strain, but I've brewed with several different brett strains that were determined to be brett A. after genetic testing. Typically they were much fruitier, some almost too much than other bretts, with less of the traditional horse blanket/leather character that you might get from Brux.

not with this particular brett A. strain, but I've brewed with several different brett strains that were determined to be brett A. after genetic testing. Typically they were much fruitier, some almost too much than other bretts, with less of the traditional horse blanket/leather character that you might get from Brux.

Conversely the brett anomalus I've used has been horse blanket/barnyard like a lot of brux strains.

Conversely the brett anomalus I've used has been horse blanket/barnyard like a lot of brux strains.

Ah, interesting. I see in your blog. I hadn’t realized ECY also had a strain of Brett A. I’ll keep an eye out for that one as well. Thank you

Struck me as funny that you described the starter using Brett A smelling vaguely of sh*t but then used it in the beer anyway. That flavor wasn’t noted in the final beer thankfully

Last edited:
Back