Any Veterans on this Forum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone posted earlier that it seems there are a lot more Navy guys on this thread than other branches. About have to add the Marines in with them, and you know, I think he was right! I'm old 'Nam era grunt and considering the manpower differences between the branches, I'd say there are way more Navy/Marine homebrewers than from the other branches.

And I'm sure this point is completely scientific and accurate based on the evidence collected on this forum! [choke]

:)

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all!

Wish I could remember their names right now, if you retired in 95 they were probably PO2 or PO1s at the time but it isn't a gigantic community. Wouldn't doubt you know of some of them. Dang my memory, I can see their faces but can't remember their names.

I can remember one I served with in DC. Senior Cheif Whitt. The orneriest guy I ever met. He was a sub guy.

He had a book he always carried around in his pocket, every SOB who ever crossed him was in it and he checked every new guy against the list.

We had a food drive once for the homeless. I came in one morning to see three cans of dog food in the box, I didn't have to ask who put them there. He just laughed and said, "Hey, a lot of homeless people have dogs"

When a new sailor checked in, regardless of his or her rank, he pulled their record and checked to see how much sea time they had and woe to the ones who fell short of what he thought they should have.

I can remember one I served with in DC. Senior Cheif Whitt. The orneriest guy I ever met. He was a sub guy.

He had a book he always carried around in his pocket, every SOB who ever crossed him was in it and he checked every new guy against the list.

We had a food drive once for the homeless. I came in one morning to see three cans of dog food in the box, I didn't have to ask who put them there. He just laughed and said, "Hey, a lot of homeless people have dogs"

When a new sailor checked in, regardless of his or her rank, he pulled their record and checked to see how much sea time they had and woe to the ones who fell short of what he thought they should have.

Green cloth covered 'wheel book'. I carried one with me everywhere. If my hands were full, I stuck in the back of my trousers, held in the small of my back by my belt. Here at the State Court, I am known for going everywhere with my 'wheel book'. It's no longer green cloth covered but it doesn't get out of my sight. I'd be lost without it. Reckon, that's about like most folks with their smart phones - I don't own or want one but I don't think I better make fun of them.

Someone posted earlier that it seems there are a lot more Navy guys on this thread than other branches. About have to add the Marines in with them, and you know, I think he was right! I'm old 'Nam era grunt and considering the manpower differences between the branches, I'd say there are way more Navy/Marine homebrewers than from the other branches.

And I'm sure this point is completely scientific and accurate based on the evidence collected on this forum! [choke]

:)

Cheers and a Merry Christmas to all!

Hey Puddlethumper, I have to agree with you on this. Being ballistic missle boats my whole career, there was ALWAYS a Marine Security detachment nearby. In my world Bubbleheads and Leathernecks shared a lot of the same space when on shore. My Daughter and her Husband are both Former Marines - This old Squid's got nothing but respect for Jarheads!

Cheers and Merry Christmas Mate!
:tank:

"Wheel Book". Contains everything you need to remember and can fit in your pocket. iPhones and such have probably replaced that.

There was an old F-4 Tech Rep back in the day. His name was Fuzzy. Fuzzy Zellar comes to mind but I'm pretty sure that was a pro golfers last name. Actually I think the man's name was Fuzzy LaChance. I was in my early 20's when I knew him. I have no idea how old he was, at the time I figured he must have been in his 60's, but looking back maybe he was in his late 40's When you're young anybody over 35 seems old. : )

Fuzzy was an Aeronautical Engineer who helped design the F-4 Phantom, I have no idea why at a time of his life he should have been at home enjoying the end of a great career and his grandchildren but he decided to become a tech rep and live a life mostly at sea on an aircraft carrier. I guess I'm glad he did though, the man was legendary when it came to Phantoms, F-4's.

Anyway, Fuzzy knew the Phantom inside and out. I talked to him one night in some port we stopped at, somewhere in Asia. He had had a few beers and he sort of went on a rant about pilots and how stupid some of their questions or complaints about the F-4. I suppose he was just venting, long days at sea can wear on a person

This ramble of mine was set off by a wheel book. Fuzzy, had sort of a wheel book. It was a tetter, I think that's what it was called. It was a leather encased book of F-4 electrical and hydraulic schematics and his personal notes. I never saw him, at work anyway without that book. Probably 4x7 inches and bursting with information. Held together by a thick rubber band.

WheelBook. SubSailor, that brought back some memories. Than you ShipMate!

U.S. Army Aviation, Dec 1992-Present

2/6 Cavalry, Storke Barracks, Illesheim, GE 1993-1994

1/10 Cavalry & 3rd ACR, Ft. Carson, CO 1994-1997

7-158th AVN "Blue Stars",Giebelstadt AAF, Giebelstadt, GE 1997-2001

2nd ACR, Ft. Polk, LA 2001-2002

Florida Army Nat'l Guard 2002-present

Operation Provide Comfort II, Incirlik, Turkey 1994
Task Force Hawk, Tirane, Albania 1999
OIF 2004-2005, Camp Beuhring, Kuwait
OIF 2008-2009, Basra & LSA Anaconda/ JBB

BigJack said:
I'm not a vet, but I wanted to check in to thank all of you who are. Us civilians owe y'all a debt of gratitude.

BlackJack, the reasons those of us joined and who served vary. I doubt there are few men and women who after serving their country are not a little proud of what they did. But I will say from personal experience, your acknowledgement and heartfelt gratitude is very much appreciated.

Cheers to you!

Another Coastie: USCG 1981-87, Boatswain's Mate. Served on CGC Decisive, Station Fort Totten NY, and PB Cape Horn. Loved it, saved people from the sea, shot at drug smugglers, seized their boats. Spent lots of time on the water.

BlackJack, the reasons those of us joined and who served vary. I doubt there are few men and women who after serving their country are not a little proud of what they did. But I will say from personal experience, your acknowledgement and heartfelt gratitude is very much appreciated.

Cheers to you!

+1

Thanks for saying that Dan.

p.s. - Rosa's Dairy down there in Hanford is turning out some of the best milk I've drank since I was a kid. And they're selling it in returnable glass bottles, too!

USN 95-99 Aviation Ordnanceman 3rd class and my Husband an Awfc 93-current he is currently over seas on deployment

I served in the Air Force and Air National Guard for a very long time. I was a 46170 (Ordnance Equipment Mechanic) which the Air Force changed to 2W071.
I noticed you right away because of your user name. For us in the AF it was IYAAYAS! :mug:

USN, 8 years and counting. Funny thing is, this deployment is my first time on ship. I'm a Corpsman, and I've been greenside this whole time. Finally getting to experience a MEU is a nice change, though.

USAF 1990 - 2001. Computer geek (3C0). Cali, Korea, England. Loved it!

I was at a going away party for a very nice girl on Friday. She has a new job in California. I ended up sitting at a table with a Marine veteran of Iraq, a lady Air Force vet, and meeting the father of a man going into the CG.
Cheers to all who serve, have served, will serve!
:mug:

22 years and counting. Army Warrant Officer. Signal Corps. 5 trips to Iraq, including Desert Storm. 2 to Korea. 3 years in Germany. Forts Riley, Lewis, Hood, and Sam Houston. I like San Antonio, think I'll stay here.

USMC 1996-present
the light at the end of the tunnel is getting so close! unless you ask SWMBO. she says I wont retire until they tell me its time to go home and force me to...:drunk:

It is nice to see this thread come back to life. Cheers to you guys and gals who are serving or have served this country. I'm retired from the Navy now but still work with active duty service members everyday. GB our miltary men and women.

I'm pretty sure I put up this quote before on this thread but it definitely is timeless, so here goes again. It's a little modified.
"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served the United States....,'" wrote President John F. Kennedy in August 1963.

USMC 2000-2008
1141 - Electrician - Iraq 03'

Any other Marine notice and find it funny that a drill instructors MOS code is 0911 ??

Its funny becuase they would not be the first I'd call to help me. I don't need to be knife handed while fixing a issue haha.

uncle sams misguided children 1985-1991 0311 humps alot for mos stationed in cali 3 floats to oki, 2 westpacs, and desert shield and desert storm. got out as a corporal (E-4)

Indiana Army National Guard 2001-2007 Field Artillery 13B Gun Bunny and served in Iraq 2005-2006 as 13R Counterfire Radar. In the civilian world I'm getting the opportunity to go work for the navy at Naval Shipyard in WA so getting psyched for that!:mug:

Air Force, 1968 - 1992 Civil Engineer, Pole Dancer (power lineman)

1 Tour Nam, 5 Years Germany, 2 years Belgium, 1 year Crete
My first experience in home brewing was in 1969 at Ellsworth AFB, SD. I was a troubled airman and a E9 took me under his wing; he brewed beer in his basement, and I become his bottle washer.

My first experience in home brewing was in 1969 at Ellsworth AFB, SD. I was a troubled airman and a E9 took me under his wing; he brewed beer in his basement, and I become his bottle washer.

I spent my formative years (mid-1950's) watching B-36's flying overhead on long approach to Ellsworth. We were long gone by the time you were there in '69 though.

Is there a good lhbs up there in the Merced area?

Latest posts

Back